"to snack or not to snack: That's the question"

Options

Replies

• lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Eating little and often is good and keeps your metabolism going at a good pace. If you're hungry then eat! just make sure its something healthy that will give you energy. A few nuts, a piece of fruit or some carrot sticks. Whoever heard of no snacks? As long as they're healthy I don't see the issue.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You're not going to slow down your metabolism if you go 4 hours without eating... In any case, you have two choices if you find yourself hungry between lunch and dinner (or breakfast and lunch, or after dinner, etc.) - either eat more at that meal, or have a healthy snack! If I eat a large lunch, then I can usually push through until dinner. However, I rarely eat a large lunch and prefer to space out my calories with snacks throughout the day. As others have already said, it's the amount of calories that matters the most. It's not rocket science.
  • ordnaj3la1
    ordnaj3la1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It does not matter when you eat, what you eat, if its 3 big meals, 5 small meals, before bed, none of this matters. Obviously its better to eat healthy nutritious meals, but as long as you're in a caloric deficit you'll still lose weight.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I try not to snack. In fact my first few pounds were lost purely by giving up most snacks.

I aim for three meals a day, but in practice I like to save a fair bit of calories for the evening meal. If there are any calories left over, I'll have a snack later in the evening. But as a rule, I don't snack between breakfast and mid-day meal, or between mid-day meal and evening meal.

I usually find that when I get to my next meal I'm glad I didn't snack and I like having the "extra" calories for mealtimes. I do get a bit hungry between meals sometimes and usually I'm OK with that (I'm really not OK with it, I'll eat!). Sometimes if I get hungry and don't eat I find the hunger fades for a while.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a snacker. Between needing to be on a low-fat diet due to minor medical issues, and having hypoglycemia and hitting low blood sugar very quickly, I cannot sustain a day without a snack. For me, it's about snacking smart. I usually have a good-quality granola bar in my purse for hunger emergencies, and I plan a healthy snack a day - usually greek yogurt/trail mix/mixed nuts and dried fruit/fresh fruit... I vary it obviously.

Different people have different approaches. Find what works best for you - every body is different. Listen to yours.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Basically, there isn't scientific evidence to prove that one method works better than another. Eat big meals a few times a day or divide your intake into as many small snacks as possible, matters not. Time of day you eat doesn't matter either. Whatever works for you is appropriate. See this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html?_r=0
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I workout daily and I I find that eating 3 modest meal with 3 healthy snacks in between is best. I never go into starvation mode, I avoid the feeling of deprivation which leads to binging. So snacking is good. Plus I have a metabolism that is totally fired up.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating little and often is good and keeps your metabolism going at a good pace. If you're hungry then eat! just make sure its something healthy that will give you energy. A few nuts, a piece of fruit or some carrot sticks. Whoever heard of no snacks? As long as they're healthy I don't see the issue.
    Whoever heard of no snacks? Pretty much everyone who lived before 1980. Snacking between meals is a pretty recent phenomenon. People used to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And that was it. Going back about 200 years, people ate one meal a day. So over time we've started eating more and more often, and obesity has been getting worse and worse. Coincidence?
  • RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't sleep if I go to bed hungry (I already have sleep problems and have to take sleeping pills that hardly work) and i'm likely to binge during the night if I'm not full (because I wake up, like, four times every night :grumble: )
  • RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whoever heard of no snacks? Pretty much everyone who lived before 1980. Snacking between meals is a pretty recent phenomenon. People used to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And that was it. Going back about 200 years, people ate one meal a day. So over time we've started eating more and more often, and obesity has been getting worse and worse. Coincidence?

Yeah, you know, they were pretty poor and sick back then too... Coincidence? :wink:
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I like eating and snacking therefore I snack. 3 meals and 3 to 4 snacks. For me it help regulate my appetite and cut down on the chances that I'll start random snacking on junk food. I have x snack planned so I'm less likely to take the random chips, candy, or what have you offered to me at work or out and about. It also helps me work in the "treats" that I want. Yesterday morning my mid-morning snack was a doughnut. It all comes down to personal preference.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There's no right or wrong answer really, you've just got to find that balance and what works for you.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Including times you eat if that helps you track what is going on. That way you find out what works for you. No two people are exactly the same. I don't eat before I go to bed and I can sleep even if I am hungry. I delay breakfast sometimes as well. That approach isn't going to work for everyone. Just make sure you are eating nutrient dense food most the time, the whole version if possible. Focus on getting enough protein (oh that's for me) and the other nutrients will follow.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Basically, there isn't scientific evidence to prove that one method works better than another.

How about this one?

"Results: Late lunch eaters lost less weight and displayed a slower weight-loss rate during the 20 weeks of treatment than early eaters."

Timing of food intake predicts weight loss effectiveness
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357955
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't sleep at all if I went to bed hungry. I managed to lose over 50 pounds in a year (up a few after a major surgery) while eating snacks in between meals and all the way up until bedtime. I know that the same things don't work for everyone, but I personally believe being too restrictive results in eventual failure.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Basically, there isn't scientific evidence to prove that one method works better than another.

How about this one?

"Results: Late lunch eaters lost less weight and displayed a slower weight-loss rate during the 20 weeks of treatment than early eaters."

Timing of food intake predicts weight loss effectiveness
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357955

I think that while the study is interesting, there's a pretty significant amount of things occurring here that would make me "not put too much concern" over the results of this study. If we saw examples of this repeatedly then I'd be more inclined to go with it.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Yeah, you know, they were pretty poor and sick back then too... Coincidence? :wink:

"The change is interesting, as is our ever-increasing longevity--something that scientists think may now reverse as a result of the global obesity epidemic."

WHAT KILLS US: The Leading Causes Of Death From 1900-2010
    http://www.businessinsider.com/leading-causes-of-death-from-1900-2010-2012-6?op=1

"The researchers parsed the data [back to 1986] by the caloric content of the foods being eaten, and found the top contributors to weight gain included red meat and processed meats, sugar-sweetened beverages and potatoes, including mashed and French fries. But the largest weight-inducing food was the potato chip. The coating of salt, the fat content that rewards the brain with instant feelings of pleasure, the sugar that exists not as an additive but in the starch of the potato itself — all of this combines to make it the perfect addictive food."

"The increased use of potato chips and other [Frito-]Lay’s products as a part of the regular fare served by restaurants and sandwich bars should be encouraged in a concentrated way. A string of examples: potato chips with soup, with fruit or vegetable juice appetizers; potato chips served as a vegetable on the main dish; potato chips with salad; potato chips with egg dishes for breakfast; potato chips with sandwich orders."

"In fact, everyone in the country, on average, was eating more salty snacks than they used to. The rate of consumption was edging up about one-third of a pound every year, with the average intake of snacks like chips and cheese crackers pushing past 12 pounds a year."

The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all
  • Moonbeem11
    Moonbeem11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lol this thread is too funny. Whoever replied to my post saying "you're wrong" with nothing to back it up, you are wrong, sorry.

Doesn't it make sense that eating small meals frequently (like every 3-3 1/2 hours) would rev up your metabolism more than say 2 small meals and 1 giant dinner? Of course, if you eat few enough calories per day, you'll lose weight no matter what. But for optimal burn of calories - think of how small kids eat. They eat all day long but they typically don't overeat. They eat when they're hungry but not too much at once. They sort of graze all day. 3 square meals is just more convenient to our lifestyles, it doesn't mean it's what we're "suppose" to do. I think the best way to work is let your body be your guide, if you're hungry eat, if not don't, and don't let yourself get to "too" hungry.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Lol this thread is too funny. Whoever replied to my post saying "you're wrong" with nothing to back it up, you are wrong, sorry.

Doesn't it make sense that eating small meals frequently (like every 3-3 1/2 hours) would rev up your metabolism more than say 2 small meals and 1 giant dinner?

No, it doesn't. Diet induced thermogenesis is not frequency based.
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think it's a preference thing. I love my snacks.