I was told "You don't need to lose anymore weight".

Options
That's so irritating. I use to be 220 pounds two years ago and now currently, I'm 193 pounds. I DO need to lose more weight, but not too much. The BIM says that I'm considered overweight. My wrists are like 6, I think. One of my friends said that I look fine the way I am. I don't care, it's my body. I want to get to about 160 pounds. Is that a good weight for me or do I need to go a little lower? I don't wanna go too low. I've been doing cardio and other exercises.

No I'm shorter then 6'. Sorry I forgot to say my height. I'm 5'8".

Replies

• luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to people. It's not their business. If it's a friend, it might come from a place of jealousy. Just move on, eat healthy and exercise. You're doing this for your health.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I started off at 220 too and am now 159. I'm 5'6. For my BMI to be under 25 I need to lose about 5lbs, but my aim is to get to 150 and to tone up more.

It's up to you how much you lose and where you think you're at a healthy weight and you're happy and comfortable with yourself.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Are you over 6 foot tall? Or are you a body builder? Those are about the only two groups that might weigh over 170 lbs and still be considered within a healthy weight range. I suppose there might be people who have an extra large frame and a whole lot of natural muscle that might be a bit out of the healthy range and it might be healthy for them. But, most women can easily go down to 170 lbs and not be underweight.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    You should look how you want to look. People tell me that all of the time and I already know I don't want to lose weight anymore. You should just ask your doctor what the healthiest weight would be for you and keep that as a goal and plus you would have a concrete number to fire back at those who say you should not lose anymore.... maybe they think saying this to you is like compliment???
  • Jami_A
    Jami_A Posts: 19
    Options
    Please do not listen to other people. Listen to your body & doctor.
    I made the mistake of listening to others telling me that I was too thin a few years ago & it completely derailed me & my progress. I never understood why people feel the need to tell people things like that.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Use the NIH's BMI calculator to figure out a good range of weight that is normal for your height. You can then use that as a way to estimate your healthy weight range. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

If you are over 6 ft. 1 in. 193 lbs falls into a healthy weight range. If you are 6.1 or less, you are still overweight according the the NIH BMI calculator. Just tell folks that if they give you a hard time.

Oh, and, of course, the BMI calculator isn't gospel. There are folks who may or may not be overweight or underweight using their calculations depending on things like bone structure, muscularity, etc. I've set my MFP goal to 140 based on the highest weight that will register as healthy for my height. When I get closer, I may well find that I will feel most healthy at some other amount. But the BMI calculator is a good base line for estimation.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say that to me, so I know exactly how you feel! I've gotten that line A LOT since I started losing weight and if I would have listened to some of those people, I'd still be chubby and overweight today.

Don't listen to them! When you reach the right weight for your body, you'll realize how great it feels to be healthy! In my opinion, BMI is a good tool for most people to use to figure out a healthy weight. For most people, the right weight is somewhere in the healthy/normal BMI range. Using both body fat % and BMI would probably give the most accurate idea of what's a good weight range for you. 160 could be the perfect weight for you, depending in your height, bone structure, muscle mass, etc.

I think the best thing for you to do right now is first focus on getting to 160. Then when you get there (or get close) you can see how you feel and decide if you're happy at that weight, if you want to or should lose a little more, or if you just want to tone and do strength training. :)
  • RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's so irritating. I use to be 220 pounds two years ago and now currently, I'm 193 pounds. I DO need to lose more weight, but not too much. The BIM says that I'm considered overweight. My wrists are like 6, I think. One of my friends said that I look fine the way I am. I don't care, it's my body. I want to get to about 160 pounds. Is that a good weight for me or do I need to go a little lower? I don't wanna go too low. I've been doing cardio and other exercises.

Maybe your friend was just trying to make sure you know that you're beautiful and a good friend no matter if you lose weight or not :flowerforyou:
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    I can relate to this. Don't let others dictate where you should be. You can say thank you for your opinion I hear what your saying but I will continue until I am happy and content. They probably are just scared for you because I know in my case people are scared of the unknown and some people in some cultures like mine being Mexican being curvy makes a woman a woman and my family thinks that I am looking too thin but its becuase they have been so used to seeing me at 250-270lbs. Keep on going until you decided you are at your goal.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That's because the haters are going to hate- and try to slow you down. OR they are your friends and *think they are paying a compliment to you. A compliment that could slow you down is not a good one.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yes, first off don't listen to those people because they do not have any expert credentials. Secondly, proper body weight is something that you should determine in consultation with a health professional and not seek that advice here. In consultation with two medical doctors and a nurse practitioner, we determined that a good body weight for me would be around 188 pounds. That took into account BMI, family history, and a multitude of other factors. Given that my grandfather and mother are on the somewhat stockier side, I will trend to the higher end of the normal BMI. When I get within 20 pounds of this weight, I get a series of tests to see where I'm at. It may be that the doctors tell me to enter a maintenance phase and we wait and see if I continue to be healthy. If factors other than weight show abnormality after a reasonable maintenance period, then it's time to trend downward again.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been told the same thing almost everyday by my mom... she's worried I've become obsessive but I just don't think she understands my goals. :frown:

But I would just say keep working at what makes you comfortable! If my goal was 150 but I still wasn't happy with it so I kept going. I decided to keep going till I'm happy with what I see and feel :) I think you should do the same!
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and not a bodybuilder.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", currently 179, and shooting for 165. I definitely had more weight to lose when I started at 195!
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Before I became serious about losing weight a friend I consider quite thin told me I looked fine the way I was...:huh: I had about 110 lbs to lose at that point. I think the woman is completely blind! I was over 250 at that point! Geez!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I will be overweight until I get to my goal weight. No one can tell me otherwise. I'm 5'6" and 146 is a healthy goal for me.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    BMI dont mean *kitten*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they need to get rid of BMI in the fitness community. dont focus on a particular bmi number or a number on the scale focus on trying to get more fit and leaner.

ask yourself these things

can you do more physically than you could a month ago a week ago a year ago

has the sizes in your clothes changed???

those are the things you should use as your ultimate goal in your new lifestyle not some number you arrive at from some complex equation.

if you have ever hired a good trainer you will notice they dont use a change in bmi or weight to determine your progress they usually focus on your measurements

BTW ladies all those muscular football players that you drool over on Sundays are all overweight if they listen to BMI. Not talking about the fat linemen i'm talking about the running backs and other skill players.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Try dtching BMI to determine your progress, figure out you bodyfat % and use that to set your goals. BMI doesn't take into consideration your lean body mass vs. fat. I'm getting close to the athletic category for bodyfat % but BMI still says i'm overweight.
  • mandrade4550
    Options
    I personally feel that if you feel god where you are at then stay there...if not keep working towards your goal. I get told the same thing. I use to be 195 and I'm down to 125 granted I an short at 4"11 but I still want to lose a few more pounds. As flattering as it is to hear ppl say I look good already i take it in and still work hard.

It's no longer about losing weight or me though, now it's about health!
  • valey1234
    valey1234 Posts: 29
    Options
    I know it can be confusing you get all these differnt oppinions your friend may mean well but its your body and you are the only one who can decide what weight you are comfortable with. just tell your friends you appreciate thier oppinions and do what you want no stress. valey1234:explode: