Runners who lift weights need your help to make a decision

Options
joybedford
joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
Hi at the start of my weight loss journey 2 years ago exactly I wrote a number of goals in my diary,
1. Lose 2-3 stone
2, complete a 5k
3, complete a 10k
4, complete a half marathon
5, complete a marathon
All of these apart from the marathon have been achieved, (entered 2 backed out at the last minute because I didn,t feel ready). I am reasonably confident with my body, their are things I want to change but all in good time. During this time I have discovered lifting and love that also. Not currently lifting as training for a half marathon and doing jillian michaels body revolution and there is only so much time in a week. I had decided after this next half which is on may 12 I would concentrate on lifting and dropping body fat whilst doing a little running as I really enjoy it. However I have been offered a place in a marathon in October and don,t know what to do. Running a marathon is still a personal goal I don,t care about time I just want to finish so I can say I have done it but I also want to build a reasonable amount of muscle and have a ripped body. I don,t like the skinny look my inspirations are jillian michaels, jamie eason and tosca reno.
So my question is can I do both at the same time or is it totally impossible to build muscle and train for a marathon. if anyone has done this how did you work it. Any advice appreciated to help me make my mind up.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're not looking for optimal results (optimal strength gains from lifting, optimal speed/distance gains from running), then you can absolutely do both.

I lift and train for triathlons, and while the cardio work doesn't help my lifting, I do feel the lifting has helped my running and biking. During the off season I focus more on lifting and cut back on cardio, during race season I focus more on cardio and cut back on lifting. But I do some cardio and some lifting year round.

I've never done a full marathon, so maybe I'm speaking a little out of place here, but I've done half ironmans and have a 100mile tri this fall that I'm training for...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Lifting initially negatively impact running and cycling. Soreness, additional body weight, muscle changes require some adaptation time. Once integrated it will make you a faster stronger runner. Many marathon plans integrate some form of strength training.
  • leannekampfe
    leannekampfe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's impossible for me. I can't do both. I have to pick. If I want to run marathons, that's my focus and I'll do strength training here and there.

Same here...I've only done one full marathon, but the amount of training it required made it hard to do much lifting from both a mental and physical standpoint-meaning that I was tired from so much running and didn't feel like lifting after/before runs. So I sometimes did a strength workout on my days off from running, but sometimes just wanted a day off. However, i would not change the fact that I did it-it was a great feeling of accomplishment to cross that finish line!

That being said, I'm doing a 10K next weekend, and have run the half marathon at this event the last 4 years. I decided to do the shorter race this year because I'm working hard to adjust my eating and I have to eat a lot more (and that has historically led to eating junk) when I train for a longer distance. A side benefit is that my strength workouts have not gone by the wayside while training for a 10K, which is what has happened in the past when I train for a half. I don't know if it's because I burned so many calories with more running that I felt I didn't need the calorie burn of workouts on my day off, or if it's what I mentioned in the previous paragraph, but my weight loss has been more consistent with less running and more attention paid to my diet remaining healthy.

I think you have to decide what your priority is right now-and then accept that it's hard to do it all. Good luck!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I do lift and just finished my 5th half. I would say especially for your first full training it would be alot for your body (an mind) to do both at the same time,at least for your first marathon.

From what I am reading you have done a half before or is this your first? I would also like to add since you have been training now for a half and have an opportunity to do a full so soon (October?) that I would focus on doing the half then full since you already have so much training time logged for the half and can use that towards the full.

I have been heavy lifting (Stronglifts 5x5) while training for the half marathon I just did 2 weeks ago
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for your advice I think I will do the marathon do a little bit of lifting when I can and then focus on lifting after that. At least that way I have ticked off all my goals. I have all the time in the world to achieve my goals and it seems sensible to just continue training after the half. I have done 1 half before and loved every minute of it. Over the winter I havnt had the opportunity to do a lot of running, no treadmill and awful British winter so I am lucky to be ready for the half. At least now the weather is better. Will keep you posted on my progress.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Hi at the start of my weight loss journey 2 years ago exactly I wrote a number of goals in my diary,
    1. Lose 2-3 stone
    2, complete a 5k
    3, complete a 10k
    4, complete a half marathon
    5, complete a marathon
    All of these apart from the marathon have been achieved, (entered 2 backed out at the last minute because I didn,t feel ready). I am reasonably confident with my body, their are things I want to change but all in good time. During this time I have discovered lifting and love that also. Not currently lifting as training for a half marathon and doing jillian michaels body revolution and there is only so much time in a week. I had decided after this next half which is on may 12 I would concentrate on lifting and dropping body fat whilst doing a little running as I really enjoy it. However I have been offered a place in a marathon in October and don,t know what to do. Running a marathon is still a personal goal I don,t care about time I just want to finish so I can say I have done it but I also want to build a reasonable amount of muscle and have a ripped body. I don,t like the skinny look my inspirations are jillian michaels, jamie eason and tosca reno.
    So my question is can I do both at the same time or is it totally impossible to build muscle and train for a marathon. if anyone has done this how did you work it. Any advice appreciated to help me make my mind up.

I'm also training for a half marathon, I do my running in the mornings before work and plan to do stronglift 5x5 afterwork (not on same days)
    I think you can do both... although I haven't tried togeather yet... look into stronglift it requires 3 x 45minutes a week
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've already decided, but for my 2 cents,

I can't lift heavy while doing serious marathon training. I have to pick the activity I want to be good at.

This doesn't mean I stop strength training. I lift light...body weight or 15lb dumb bells, just no heavy lifting during marathon training.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you're not looking for optimal results (optimal strength gains from lifting, optimal speed/distance gains from running), then you can absolutely do both.

I lift and train for triathlons, and while the cardio work doesn't help my lifting, I do feel the lifting has helped my running and biking. During the off season I focus more on lifting and cut back on cardio, during race season I focus more on cardio and cut back on lifting. But I do some cardio and some lifting year round.

I've never done a full marathon, so maybe I'm speaking a little out of place here, but I've done half ironmans and have a 100mile tri this fall that I'm training for...

I agree with this but to specifically gain muscle and train for the marathon at the same time, its not going to happen. I don't mean you can't strength train, I am specifically talking about adding muscle.

Last year while training for a half marathon in February, I was also training for a bodybuilding competition (figure) in April and found it very difficult. I was not looking to put on muscle at that time, just leaning out for the show but lifting heavy.

I have similar plans but my plans are going to be based on season, like Jackson mentioned, that is pick a marathon, train for it while incorporating weight lifting, when the marathon is done, cut back on cardio and focus on lifting.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's impossible for me. I can't do both. I have to pick. If I want to run marathons, that's my focus and I'll do strength training here and there. And if I want to build muscle and get really fit,I lift. But, I can't run much when lifting.

me too - I am weight training right now and will resume my regular running schedule in about 5 months. At that time I will continue weight training, but less often.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything useful to add, just bumping this thread for future reference. I'm in awe of all of your accomplishments.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lift weights along with training for a marathon. As long as you keep to your marathon training regimen your muscles won't gain significant mass, but they will get stronger.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/806/Ten_Reasons_Why_Runners_Should_Include_Weight_Trai.aspx
  • bulkbrah89
    bulkbrah89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Endurance running produces very weak athletes with very little muscle mass, you should definitely lift just to keep your self strong, tho dont expect to improve too much strength/weight wise, think of it as damage limitation.
  • h8fklvr
    h8fklvr Posts: 8
    Options
    Good topic. I do my very best to find the balance. Its a daily challenge finding that balance.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options

exactly. You can do it. If you are worried about your endurance then do more running but lift 2 days a week, even that little bit can get your muscles toned. they can work together! Once you complete your marathon in October, your muscles will be prepped to go heavy and get ripped. You can have a tosca reno body while running. I have seen it, but you need to make sure your body is ready for the endurance. The running will help keep the body fat down so when you start lifting heavier and more often you will see the fruits of your labor quickly!! GOOD LUCK and get that marathon checked off you can do it!!!
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I found I had great improvements to my running when I continued to lift (CrossFit) while training for my half-marathon. I had to scale back my frequency, but still cross-trained. Now that the race is over and my longer runs are done until fall (running in FL in the summer sucks), I'm focusing more on my strength training, but still running 1-2 times a week.