Do you work an active job?

Options
lotushead
lotushead Posts: 200 Member
Meaning do you do more than stand on your feet in one spot or sit at a desk all day? If so, please share! I'm curious what fun active jobs exist out there.

Replies

• jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I work a measly desk job, but I just applied for a part time position at a dog bakery/grooming shop! There are a lot of animal related jobs, humanity related jobs that are great for exercising at work. When I think of active job, I think of nursing or construction. I'm interested to hear what sort of careers are active and fun!

:smile:
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I run two digital/offset hybrid printing presses, at a print shop. I'm constantly walking between my presses (and around the department, lifting cases of paper, etc.) and carrying jobs from my press, to bindery on the opposite side of the building.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I work at a nursery, I work with 2-3 year olds. I'm constantly running around, I love my job:)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Elementary music. I dance, sing, and play all day.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am in a management position at a fast food restaurant and I am on my feet, moving around for 10 hours a day.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    For 15 yrs I worked as a baggage handler for a major airline. I was hauling heavy bags and freight around, loading and unloading planes. Bags were 50-100 pounds or more on the international flights. It was super heavy work and I could eat anything I want and not gain weight. Built some major muscles while I was at it. Was actually quite a fun job, as I worked with mostly men and between flights we would hang out and play cards. But then I had a disabling back injury that ended my work career, so if I had it to do all over again, I probably would have become a flight attendant when I had the chance. But I did love working outside and being active thru out the day. Even when the weather sucked it wasn't too bad. I was never a sit at a desk all day type of person.
  • Andipat
    Andipat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work in a special school. My job is physically demanding. We reposition the students several times a day (from wheel chairs to standing frames to mats on the floor.) We get to chase the ambulant children around the playground, and roll around on the floor with those who are less mobile. Because some of our students have profound difficulties, we need to be very animated when we communicate. This can mean dancing like crazy to their favourite music.

When we go away on a school residential, we get to take part in all of the activities. This can include abseiling, canoeing, climbing, skating, swimming, skiing, and the list goes on. We often have to do this twice, in order to support and encourage the children.

During the school day, we get involved in a variety of sports and activities. We go to hydrotherapy sessions (like swimming in a hot bath), take part in sessions led by the local cricket, rugby and football teams.

I love my job...
  • lotushead
    Options
    For 15 yrs I worked as a baggage handler for a major airline. I was hauling heavy bags and freight around, loading and unloading planes. Bags were 50-100 pounds or more on the international flights. It was super heavy work and I could eat anything I want and not gain weight. Built some major muscles while I was at it. Was actually quite a fun job, as I worked with mostly men and between flights we would hang out and play cards. But then I had a disabling back injury that ended my work career, so if I had it to do all over again, I probably would have become a flight attendant when I had the chance. But I did love working outside and being active thru out the day. Even when the weather sucked it wasn't too bad. I was never a sit at a desk all day type of person.

This sounds awesome. Did you get to travel at all?? 15 years is a long time!!! Sorry about the injury. I also dread sitting for prolonged periods of time.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yes, we did get travel benefits where we could travel standby for a very low fee. Came in handy and I had quite a few great vacations over the years. But then the industry started changing and they were filling the planes to capacity and it got a a lot harder to get a seat. I haven't worked there since 2000, and they are going thru bankruptcy/merger at the moment, so I don't know what the work conditions there are like now.
    If you are able to travel around, check into some of the smaller airlines to see if any are hiring flight attendants. A friend of mine from HS decided at 45 she wanted to fulfill her life long dream to be a FA and went to work for a small airline. She loves it. Gets to travel around and is never bored.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Desk job....love it, but blech!!
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardiac cath lab nurse, so yes, we're very busy! We transport patients (in beds) all over the hospital, sometimes with bulky and very heavy equipment. We move the patients between the procedure table and the bed. We have to wear extra weight because we wear lead aprons during the procedure- you know those things they put on you when you have x-rays at the dentist? Those, but vest and skirt for full coverage since we're in radiation most of the day.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Right now I do. I work retail, so I'm always walking around, stocking, tagging, etc. Most of my retail work is at a liquor store, so I do a lot of moving cases of wine and liquor too, which weight 40-50lbs a case.

It's both good and bad, If I work a full shift, sometimes I'm just too exhausted or too sore to work out afterwards, or being really sore from a workout can make things at work hard. On the flip side, I log a lot of milage. The clothing retailer I work at recently got us all pedometers and I average about a mile an hour, provided I don't get stuck behind a register.

Liquor retail I actually really enjoy. Clothing retail is usually just catering to lazy people who can't take the time to find a size themselves, but in liquor I get asked for recommendations all the time. I help people shop for big events and decide how much they need, and I've gotten to know several regular customers who have liked my recommendations and come back and ask for more or let me know what they thought.

Long term, I'm a theatre stage manager, which can be anywhere from really sedentary ( rehearsals can be a lot of sitting) to really active (running backstage and making scenic shifts).
  • lotushead
    Options
    Reading about all the different ways people get to be active in their daily jobs brings a smile to my face for sure :happy:
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Nah, my "active" part at work is getting us to go to the printer every once in a while. It takes about 30 seconds. Yeah, I have a desk job (love my job though :P )
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    Right now I'm doing an internship so I'm pretty much just sitting in meetings a couple of hours a day, but my last job was in the fields and that was pretty active :P
  • lotushead
    Options
    Right now I'm doing an internship so I'm pretty much just sitting in meetings a couple of hours a day, but my last job was in the fields and that was pretty active :P

Doing what in what kinds of fields? Sounds cool already.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My second job I'm a waitress at a steakhouse. It gets busy on the weekend and I'm on my feet for a good five hours. Wearing good shoes makes that job a little bit more tolerable.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Part time postman!
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Healthy_fresh_start Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i work in a tattoo studio so it ranges. 1 day ill be sat drawing all day the nest it will be walks to town and cleaning etc.
    not as active as running round after my 2 gremlins when i come home lol