Kettle Bell

Options
I just started using the kettle bell (5lbs) when I exercise...I am not sure what to use when I record my exercise, right now I am just putting it in as general aerobics. Is that right? Or should I use??

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I put mine in as circuit training, not sure if it is correct, maybe some one can correct us.
  • watt420
    watt420 Posts: 4
    Options
    There is kettlebell under cardio. It is a little over 1200 calories for 60min work out.
  • SmilinLadybug
    SmilinLadybug Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried searching under cardio and cant find it :(
  • SmilinLadybug
    Options
    Still wondering what it put it under :(
  • dani8982
    dani8982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've looked for it too and can't find it in either cardio or strength.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think maybe under Circuit training?
  • MaraPN
    MaraPN Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    just add it and look up your burned calories on this site
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=306
  • SmilinLadybug
    Options
  • SmilinLadybug
    Options
    Thank you...do you know how accurate it is?? I punched it in and it seems high....but then again I have really nothing to compare it to.....thanks again!
  • MaraPN
    Options
    Its pretty accurate, ive read on other sites too that 20 min kettlebell workout is 400 cals burned.
    Depending on your weight it could be more.
  • SmilinLadybug
    Options
    Its pretty accurate, ive read on other sites too that 20 min kettlebell workout is 400 cals burned.
    Depending on your weight it could be more.

Thank you!
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How does the kettle bell work? It sounds like they're great for burning calories. I was looking at exercise equipment yesterday and I saw one but I don't know how they work. Thanks!
  • SmilinLadybug
    Options
    How does the kettle bell work? It sounds like they're great for burning calories. I was looking at exercise equipment yesterday and I saw one but I don't know how they work. Thanks!

I ended up buying some dvds for it...it is a weight that you swing and hold while doing the excerises, you are using the weight as added resistance...I LOVE it!! And I am a person that HATES to exercise!!
  • MaraPN
    Options
    If you want to see a kettlebell workout go to; http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Beginner-Kettlebell-Workout-Kells-Kettlebells-Routine/a7/

I use this one for my workout with a kettlebell.
    I also do their warming up and cooldown, i love the site lol
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused too. I'm sure that 20 minutes of doing kettle bell thrusts is a different burn than a kettle bell aerobics DVD. I started doing Kettle Bell Bootcamp with Angie Miller using a 5 lb bell, and while it was a great work out, I sincerely doubt I was burning 20 calories per minute. I just guessed at 10 per.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options

This is what I used to use, now I have a HRM I compared it to that site and it wasn't far off. I use an 8kg kettlebell, and with a 30 min workout I can burn anywhere between 300-600 depending on how much I push myself and depending on how lazy I feel that day lol.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wanted to reply to this saying I have a HRM now and I typically burn 200-300 cals in a 1 hour kettlebell workout. I use a 10 lb bell.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I don't agree that the 1200 calories burned per hour for kettlebell work is accurate for the vast majority of those training KBs. I'd even go so far to say that it's totally inaccurate, as that figure is based on someone performing one armed snatches over an hour. The one armed KB snatch is an extremely demanding, full body exercise. It's highly unlikely that anyone commenting here is doing that sort of a workout.

I would log KB work as circuit training, and would be real careful to not overestimate the calories burned. I think KBs are a great tool, and I train with them a few times a week myself. However, the actual number of calories burned has a lot of variables--what exercise or exercises you're doing, how much rest you're taking between sets, how heavy the bell or bells are, etc.