19 year old navy hopeful!

Options
Hi my name is Layla, I'm 19 years old and I want to join the navy and be a diver. Like some people I believed you could just sign up for the navy and boom head out to basic, I was sad to learn that this is not the case especially for people who want a special operations job. When I first went to see a recruiter I was 5' 7", 198 lbs and hadn't done anything more than waiting tables for a year. Now I am 170 lbs, 3lbs away from the weight limit and I'm having trouble losing that weight. It's been four years since I have been 167 pounds and I find that I am struggling to get there. I've decided to put the diver job on the back burner and just focus on getting signed up and processed. I'm about to start month two of insanity, and i'm getting impatient. Any help or advice would be great. Diet and fitness or otherwise. Sorry for the rambling.:smile:

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options
    To be honest, if it's just a case of being 3lbs away from the weight limit cut off point you have bugger all to worry about, a fair amount of cardio and counting cals for a week beforehand and you sort that out. The weight will drop off once you get into basic training anyway.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hi Layla!

I looked at your caloried goal and it is 1200 - although I cannot tell if you are actually logging your food.

1200 is too low and you may be causing metabolic damage by losing lean body mass in high percentages instead of higher percentages of fat. That would explain your being stuck (EDIT: because lean body mass drives your metabolism).

I would calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from there in conjunction with heavy lifting or some resistance training 3x per week. The losses will go slower, but I bet your weight starts moving again in a few weeks of feeding yourself and the resistance training will help improve your lean body mass.
  • reeveslayla
    reeveslayla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't been logging my calories religiously, Which may be my problem in the first place, I try to consume 1700 or more, but I'm worried that I'm not putting in enough work to have a decent deficit with out starving my body. The insanity nutrition book recommends 2000 but I feel like that is way too much. thanks for the advice