Thyroid weight gain wants to be loss

2»

Replies

• Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Link to the group here on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I also have Hashimotos. I am usually pretty tired, but its slightly improved recently. I started taking coconut oil supplements and selenium, so I don't know if they are helping or not. I saw my doctor in March, had bloodwork done, and every thing came back "ok" according to my doctor, so she won't change anything for me. I cannot lose weight if my life depended on it. I have been pretty faithfully counting calories, exercising etc, and I am the exact same weight as I was in September 2012. I will say that I am smaller, as I have lost a few inches, and I do feel stronger and healthier, but I have not lost a pound. Its very frustrating, but I keep going because I am a die-hard tennis player and that keeps me motivated.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Ive lost 78lbs while being hypo. It can be done. Get your levels checked every 6 months and adjust if needed.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I have thyroid issues and currently not on any medication for it. I am dumbfounded on why doctors say you will have trouble losing weight with thryoid problems. I've lost weight with no problem
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    I have thyroid issues and currently not on any medication for it. I am dumbfounded on why doctors say you will have trouble losing weight with thryoid problems. I've lost weight with no problem

Agree....I don't get it either. If you are on meds to regulate and take daily, every morning, you should be fine.
  • gaiagal3
    gaiagal3 Posts: 39 Member
    I'm hypo too for the past 8 yrs and most likely longer. It has really impacted my weight loss...it takes me so long to lose even though I stay under calories, exercise, and take meds for it. Sooo incredibly frustrating. Anyone fee free to add me...it's nice to have support from others going through the same thing.
  • It really varies by person on how your body reacts to medications and weight lost attempts when it comes to the thyroid. And if your adrenals are suffering, you will likely be even more weight loss resistant.
  • slimjoycenow
    slimjoycenow Posts: 16 Member
    I've had a total thyroidectomy for a thyroid tumour. I'm currently on 125mcg levothyroxine (T4) but I've been quite ill recently and my TSH has climbed a lot. With a TSH of 8 I'm clinically hypothyroid so I'm in the process of having my dose adjusted upwards. While I would love to lay the blame for my weight on my (lack of!) thyroid, to be honest I don't think that's the case.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    I have Hashimoto's and so far it has not an issue. I'm on Synthroid (for many years) and once my levels were good I had energy, slept better, had less issues with dehydration, and have been doing very well. When I started eating better and moving more the weight has come off pretty steadily. Of course, I expect that to change when I get closer to goal. But I'd expect that anyway.

The only time I had issues with uncontrolled weight gain that seemed to have nothing to do with my eating/exercise was when I had a couple of bouts of ideopathic cyclical Cushings. But controlling my stress levels (and exercise really helps with that) has that in the past.