Need to Gain Weight

Options
I'm about 12 pounds underweight the least. I've recently started going to the gym to tone my arms, legs, and abs. I only do cardio about once a week for 15 mins to avoid losing even more weight. Mostly i do toning excercises, and I have to say im starting to see some definition in my abs and thighs BUT it seems ive lost even more weight. I just noticed today how skinny my back is now! Can anyone help me what i need to incorporate in my diet to gain HEALTHY weight that wont ruin the ab and thigh definitions i've accomplished? My dilemna is that im afraid if i eat too much fats/sugar, my abs (belly) would be the first to go as that's usually where i grow big. Anyone? Please don'tsuggest ice cream and burgers coz i really don't wanna eat junk. Thank you!

Replies

• fairie_marie
    Options
    Your diary is not open so I can't see how many calories you are eatting a day but make sure you are eatting enough. MFP gives you an option to gain weight.. Also you may need to see a doctor for blood work to see if you have a thryriod issue, over active thryiod can cause unwanted weight loss.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your TDEE is? If so, eat above that level. If not, figure it out and eat above that level. :drinker:
  • pucciprints
    Options
    I'm actually new here so i had to google what TDEE means and man, that explains everything! Lol. Now i know im eating waaaay too little. Thanks a lot! Would you know what diet is best to avoid belly fats though? I've worked hard to gain abs, it'd be a shame to throw it all away. :)
  • pucciprints
    Options
    Thanks for this! I just tried calculating my TDEE, will up my caloric intake. If it doesn't work, i'll go see a doctor. Thanks!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    eat about 500 calories above your tdee. you should put on about 1 pound/week.

try and make it lean proteins, such as egg whites, fish, chicken
  • pucciprints
    Options
    So basically just about 500 calories more that's mostly comprised of proteins? Makes sense. Thanks a lot for helping out a newbie!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    500 calories above TDEE is a good basic recommendation. I'd add in healthy fats and proteins (quinoa, nut butters, lean proteins, avocado, etc.) to gain healthy weight. Also, if you're wanting to keep your tone, check some bodybuilding threads on bulking. These are people who are excellent at gaining weight while maintaining muscle mass and definition.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No, not just proteins. Do a roughly 40/30/30 macro spread and you will do fine. Also, make sure you are lifting heavy, not light with high reps.
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If your eating above your TDEE, then you might as well begin doing more resistance training so that the excess calories help build up your lean muscle...
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No, not just proteins. Do a roughly 40/30/30 macro spread and you will do fine. Also, make sure you are lifting heavy, not light with high reps.

Yes, what he said ^^...do exercises where you can only lift the weight around 7-10 times, that is the range which benefits muscle hypertrophy the best
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Yup! :flowerforyou:
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No, not just proteins. Do a roughly 40/30/30 macro spread and you will do fine.

that is called the zone diet and it is garbage - check the article below (with legit references including medical journals and trials)

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/2171/dh-reviews-the-diet-zone/
    Also, make sure you are lifting heavy, not light with high reps.
    this is good advice. SS 3x5 or SL 5x5 are both very good programs
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Everything you will ever need or want to know.