At 72lb down, I'm finally getting my flexibility back.

Options
Pics at the bottom.

I've been dieting on keto at <20g carb and <1500kcal since the end of November, last year, while trying to maintain a consistent routine of heavy weight training four to five times per week. Between then and now, I've managed to lose 71.8 pounds, coming down from 361.6lb to 289.8 as of just yesterday. While breaking into the 280s was very odd for me to acknowledge—because I feel as if my psychological state had a LOT of catching up to do with my physical progress (mentally, I still feel just as large despite the loss)—what really has been blindsiding me and snapping it into reality that my progress is real are the physical milestones and changes that are happening to me. Things like my stomach shrinking inward and not being compacted into my organs making it hard to breathe when I'm bending over or laying face-down in bed, being able to walk for longer than ten minutes without my hips feeling sore or the arches of my feet starting to hurt, or being light enough and strong enough to do a handstand.

One of the two biggest physical milestones that I'm really looking forward to are being able to jog a mile without stopping and doing an unassisted pullup. Originally, the goal was to jog a single lap without stopping, as I have always been terrible with jogging, even far back in my youth, but I've managed to go for longer than a mile on the elliptical and I imagine that'd translate somewhat onto flat-ground jogging. The pullup is even more significant. I've never done one, unassisted. In high school when I was half-assedly trying to get in shape, I managed to kind of do one on the tree-branches in our backyard, but I never counted that. As a child in physical education class being asked to see how many pullups I could do and not being able to do one in front of everyone was a pretty big blow to my self-worth. I had a panic attack in high school before I realized that our class didn't make students 'climb the rope', because I knew I wouldn't be able to. But it's something I'm looking forward to now. Being able to manipulate myself and my movement and how I interact with my environment has so many possibilities that I don't even know where I want to start when I get to my goal weight and start really building up my physical ableness with strength, endurance, and even flexibility training.

As a child, I was pretty flexible to a silly degree. I could get [one of] my legs behind my head without too much effort. Growing up people would awe at my ability to stand tall with my knees locked and bend down, reaching through my legs, and touching the ground with the flats of my palms. And I got into doing some not-so-easy yoga positions before going to bed for quite a long time because it helped relax my back pain. But over the years, that went away as the fat started to pile on around my hips and my back and the pressure of that along with the fat of my thighs would make cramping and pain from pressure on my joints show up any time I tried any of these things.

Every time I weigh in, I take a progress photo. I've been trying to think of interesting or silly themes for them in order to make them interesting, because I'd like to do something special with them all once I'm done losing weight. This week, I was thinking about what I need to do in order to prepare for starting the C25K program, and I was thinking about how I really need to start a consistent stretching routine and keep at it seriously so I don't either hurt myself or just simply feel strained and not want to continue the program once I begin. I decided to do some stretches, and much to my surprise, I was able (though not quite easily) do the splits. Things like this, even if they're small progressions into other, bigger things, really make me look back at myself and just say, "Holy ****... that's you, and you're really doing something incredible." The whole process has been an incredibly difficult teeter-totter of ups and down not just physically but in very emotional ways, too, and seeing my hard work in my actual ability to live and do things rather than just in a number, especially when it can be so hard to perceive the change in the mirror, absolutely floors me.

Managing the stretch
Iia3Uyh.jpg

And below is the entirety of my progress photos from the end of November until now:

H2HMTfa.jpg
ZUh38Rf.jpg
PGSSyA3.jpg
lP20frW.jpg
l78jy3x.jpg
iqhtWQY.jpg
YJUXFPK.jpg
ODaI2hu.jpg
uu9q9Sx.jpg
N0xMGlO.jpg
pUZFSp2.jpg
IIOHLCn.jpg
lKN3fEP.jpg
d7jG7F6.jpg
hHKDvm4.jpg

Replies

• mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your hard work and secondly, I enjoy the humor of your pics! I needed a laugh, thank you. I started at 362 pounds on March 14th and I'm down 32 already I'm excited to be below 3 bills. Once I get 5 more off, I will only be obese, not morbidly obese by BMI.

I still cannot do an unassisted pull up! When that day happens, I'll be :bigsmile:
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    First off, LOVE THE PICTURES!!! Awesome job!!! Keep it up!
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, Matt. That's a great amount of progress in that amount of time. I'm excited for you, man. It still hasn't completely hit me yet about being below 300. As for just obese and not morbidly obese, I'm practically in the same boat. I've always teetered between 5' 11" and 6' 0" (so I just go by the 5' 11"), and so I'll officially be below 40 BMI within 4 pounds. So weird.

Brittany, thank you so much! I'm definitely continuing forth.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Jason, love this post for its reflection, commitment and sense of humour - the photos are awesome, really made me smile. Good luck for the rest of your journey - :)
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    omg I love your pictures!!! and yes I read your story to.
    Way to go so far!!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Love the pics!
  • amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congrats on you loss and all of the hard work! My husband has also started out near you, so I know how hard it is to loss the weight. Also, great pics. Love them!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Incredible dedication. You should be really proud.
    I know how you feel about the loss of flexibility, btw.
    I used to be the best at the sit-and-reach in grade school LOL. I also was able to do yoga with a lot more ease. I came down with some really bad back pain in my early twenties after gaining some weight and it only went downhill from there as I lived in fear I would pull something.

With my current weight loss, I feel like I'm finally on track to getting flexible again.

Also, I love your 299 pic. It's amazing.
  • JasonAxelrod
    Options
    Tracey, Etoiles, thank you both so very much!

Amy, it definitely is a struggle, but I think for the first time in my life it's just become a part of my life, rather than feeling like some new "attempt". It's here and it's happening and although my progress is definitely not without screwups (I had a binge relapse a few weeks ago), I have no doubts about it. Mental switch flipped in me, I guess, and I'm glad it did. But it's rough for sure and it's great to know that there are others both who have gone much farther than I have and who are just starting that began in my same spot. I hope he's doing well :).

Lucky, thank you so much. I definitely am proud. Some times it takes certain triggers for my progress to suddenly hit me, but when it does, it really feels amazing. The latest picture was definitely one of those, for me. I can absolutely relate to the back pain. I've been doing forward folds and upward bow poses for years to try and stretch and combat it but with more weight loss I'm sure I'll be able to move back into more than just those two things.

Glad you like the 299 pic. I found it particularly appropriate :). Sadly I didn't have any photos of being above 300 to have dressed up as a Persian messenger to be receiving the kick.
  • appyspirit
    appyspirit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fantastic photos! Well done!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome success! :D I swear if I wasn't married - definitely the kind of guy I'd be interested in! lol Sorry - too far.

Love your positive attitude and your creativity! :D Keep up the good work, man! :flowerforyou:
  • JasonAxelrod
    Options
    Appy, thank you so much! I wanted to document this transition in my life in some kind of way, and this is what I managed to come up with. Fun, if nothing else! Beezil, the sweet nectar of flattery makes me warm and smily; seriously, that's a huge compliment :).

Only forward momentum from here, folks!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Stellar progress!
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    First off, LOVE THE PICTURES!!! Awesome job!!! Keep it up!

^^^ this..... You're hilarious!!! AMAZING!!! U should be SO proud....
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! =)
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else LOVE the pics. You also have such a cheeky grin, adorable.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    great job buddy, love the pics, gave me a good giggle!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome. It's nice to see such a positive attitude. :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Your melting! Good job :)
  • JasonAxelrod
    Options
    Donna thank you. If they can entertain, it's totally worth it. Thanks everyone, again, for your kind words. Hopefully this will lead me into C25K nicely, and who knows what else.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!