Do you set an eating cut off time?

Options
LadyZen
LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
I was wondering if any of you who have succeeded at losing weight has set an eating cut off time at night. Do you stop eating like 2 hours before bedtime? Or not? Just wondering...any tips that I can get would be fantastic:happy: Thanks in advance!!! Have a wonderful 2nd day of summer:flowerforyou:

Replies

• LadyZen
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you who have succeeded at losing weight has set an eating cut off time at night. Do you stop eating like 2 hours before bedtime? Or not? Just wondering...any tips that I can get would be fantastic:happy: Thanks in advance!!! Have a wonderful 2nd day of summer:flowerforyou:
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    I usually try not to eat 3 hours before bed, because I've heard that when you sleep on an empty stomach, in order to rejuvenate and continue with all the functions when sleeping you need energy... but if its not from food your body uses energy from other storages aka fat!!! So basically going to bed 3 hours after eating will put your body in a fat burning mode, depending on how long you'll sleep. I am usually in a "fat burning zone" (sleeping) for 10 hours!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I've never set a cut off time for myself. I eat dinner pretty early though, like around 5:30 so once in awhile I have a light snack (granola bar or cereal) around 8:30 if I still have extra calories. I can't say that I have ever eaten anything heavy or with a substantial amount of calories before bed, though.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat after dinner( 5:30 or 6) and I go to bed at about 9 or 9:30. I never really thought about my not eating before bed. I usually don't eat because I try to use up that last of my leftover calories at dinner.
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat nothing after 8pm.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Yep, that is one of the things I am struggling with on weekends when I work. I come home after work. Of course I am hungry. Did not use all my calories. I have to eat. But I also have to go to sleep 'cause I only have about 7 hrs. Not ideal. I am working on that.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    think about how your body processes food and stores fat and this will become a little easier to understand. You burn less calories when you sleep, so you don't need as much energy, also, it's a long time between meals so you want things that are more difficult to break down and thus take longer to process. So stay away from simple carbs and such (white bread, candy bars...etc). It doesn't really matter when at night you eat, but more, what you eat. If you want something, try to make it something with some fiber (fiber is mostly indigestable, and makes all the other food in your stomach take longer to digest.) Something with a little protein and fiber would be best. If you eat simple carbs, your body will process them faster then you can use them and it will just store many of the carbs as fat. Oh, and try to keep it light, no matter what you eat late at night, if you binge, then you're gonna store fat.
  • LadyZen
    Options
    Thanks!! I don't eat white bread and very little on the sweets. I've really revamped my way of eating; I just decided that my body isn't junk so I'm not gonna put junk in it:happy: I think that I will try to eat more calories during the day instead of playing catch up during the night. Maybe that will help as well. Thanks so much for all your help:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat dinner between 6:00 and 7:00 and then might have a light snack later on, at around 8:00...but it is usually a small serving of ice cream or something.

I just don't like to go to sleep after just eating a big meal. So I like to give myself enough time to digest a bit!! :)
  • LadyZen
    Options
    Thanks for your input, Tam.:smile: Way 2 go on your weight loss!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    No, I don't set an eating cut-off time. I just go by total cals taken in during the day. I do sometimes eat before bed and this doesn't bother my sleeping or digestion, as it does for some folks.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an early dinner--by 5:00pm and then don't eat anything until about an hour before bed--about 10-11pm. I have to have a light snack every night about an hour before bed to keep my blood sugar levels good during the night but it's a light one--like half a graham cracker with 1/2 tblspn. of PB.