people with travelling jobs

Options
I am starting a new job that will involve a pretty decent amount of travel... if not out of town for day, but at least the occasional trip to the big city for meeting (without a car, I live on an island)

Yesterday was an example of how I DON'T want it to go. I got up earlym had a healthy (ish) breakfast, grabbed an orange for my purse and set off. There was cars, boats, busses and trains involved, and I got to where I was going in about 4 hours. I stopped for lunch before my meeting (I was really nervous, this was the first time I had met the employer in person). I went to s sushi place, but accidentally ordered a bento box with tempura. I didn't eat all of it, but I know it wasn't great. I spent the rest of the day bloating... I was genuinely not hungry for the rest of the day, but I was also wound up because I haven't been sleeping well this week with all of the new job excitement. So I got home at 8pm, by the time I let the dog out, fed the pets, and otherwise for settled, it was 9... I still did my 30ds video, then I had a glass of wine and a huge wedge of watermelon for dinner and went to bed.

So how do people that have to spend extended days on the road, or even a week in a hotel cope with healthy eating? The last business trip I went on, I made time for a yoga class and a jog, but then I ate a poutine for dinner. Food is not my best friend.

tips from experience?

Replies

• Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    essentially, i plan ahead as much as possible. i also stick to a few core meals like salmon/chicken/steak with veggies for dinner or an omelette and whole wheat toast for breakfast. i eat a lot of the same meals over and over, which can get a bit boring, but i'd rather that and stay in my calories.

if i'm not eating at the hotel, i try to only eat at restaurants that have nutritional facts, or at the very least look at the menu ahead of time.

the traveling days - the ones where i spend 8 hours in airports are very hard. i always eat a good breakfast and then try to eat a decent lunch. if i have to, i get a protein bar (or two) at the airport and then eat something light when i get home at 11pm. i try to stay away from eating at the airport.

also, i try to work out more on the road to compensate. and i try to eat a little less than i normally would just because you have no idea how they cook even healthy sounding meals like salmon/veggies.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    You have to plan ahead and do your best to keep within your goals. Take along an appropriate snack so you don't end up hitting the snack machine. Almonds and string cheese are easy portables that are very satisfying. As the weather improves pack a lunch that you can eat outside.

Are you always going to the same area for meetings? If so, locate the lunch spots and small groceries nearby that will have good options for you. Even drugstores carry yogurt (keep a spoon in your bag). If you move around a lot, is there a chain like Pret where you can count on having healthy choices? Soup shops are great as are delis.

If you are away overnight preselect your restaurant meals as much as possible. I keep a list in My Foods of appropriate restaurante choices. It's like my own mini-menu. Most hotels will prepare breakfast for you any time of the day, and eggs are not only healthy but comforting. Try to keep something in your room such as fresh fruit for snack time. Try not to drink your calories; it's tempting to sit at the bar for company.

Finally, don't forget to drink water while you're on the go. It's easy to forget and dehydration is draining.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I usually try to bring bags of oatmeal to heat up with water from the coffee pot for breakfast. And then, I know this probably isn't advisable by most, but I don't really track lunch and dinner. I try to eat small portions and choose protein over carbs. I also skip the free desserts. It just feels like too much of a guessing game, so I just try to make healthy choices.

Can you bring lunch on your long commute days? It would probably be ok for 4 hours in a bag with an ice pack. I love bringing a spinach salad topped with spring onions, avocado, blue cheese and balsamic vinaigrette, topped with whatever leftover meat i have.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    plan ahead. Find out if the hotel you're staying at has a fridge and microwave. If it does you're in business.

Go to grocery stores instead of restaurants. Pack lunches. Pack good snacks. If you're in a really bad pinch just find a 7-11 and buy a few protein bars, some milk and fruit
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Stock your own drinks and snacks in your room, and only eat those - no desserts at restaurants. Get into a schedule of what you will have for breakfast and/or lunch, so that dinner is the only major wild card of the day. Limit alcohol; the calories add up fast.

I used to buy a package of cookies and a bag of chips or something salty, and had to make those last for 2 weeks. At first it was hard, but after a while, it was often lasting much longer, because I got out of the habit of snacking at night.

I could still occasionally indulge in great restaurant food, but if going to a place with large portions, I would just plan on eating half of the meal, and making the other half into the next day's lunch or dinner.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    great tips! I don't know exactly what this job will entail in the long run. I should be able to pack my own food when I go over to the office, and there was a lot of restaurants around there, so I know I can find the better choices (there is a vegetarian place right there, I kind of chickened out and went the comfort route)
    That one travel day was an anomaly, I was very preoccupied with everything else going on, I was going over to accept the position, meet the owner, etc

I'm always worried about how to manage the client lunches and hotel bars with gravy
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I pack packets of oatmeal and tunafish in my suitcase. I also throw some protien bars in there. When I travel it is with co-workers and we all share a vehicle. So, I rarely get to run to a grocery store to pickup things. We do tend to stay in hotels that offer a continental breakfast and I will grab whatever type of fruit is available as a snack for the day. I tend to eat out lunch and dinner on the road. I try to go for grilled items with veggies or salads without crazy amounts of add ons.