Help! Ocean City

Options
Ok...so I'm going to Ocean City, MD this weekend. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about its just a very commercial beach with a very big boardwalk. :smile: Its a 3 day trip and I have NO idea how I'm going to deal with this regarding food. Im going with my boyfriends family and they are very particular about food...aka...if I bring my own they will be offended.

I'm not worried so much about breakfast or dinner because they always have fruit available and dinner is usually somewhere out that I can order a salad. It's lunches that worry me. My boyfriend insists on eating at this one burger stand every day for lunch. They make great burgers, but I can't eat a burger every day I'm there and I, for the life of me, can't think of one thing on the boardwalk that I can eat that's semi healthy.

Have any of you been to Ocean City and know what I'm talking about?? Can you guys think of any place on the boardwalk that will have something healthy?

Thanks!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm a fellow Marylander and I know what you mean. While I'm not all that familiar with each of the places there, I'd suggest googling Ocean City and getting a listing of the eateries on the board walk. Then, you can probably look at their menus on line as well. This may help you plan ahead for finding places that have lean meats, salads etc. Good luck! And enjoy yourself!
    Risa
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just went through this with my boyfriend on vacation! I did take some of my own food (light wheat bread for sandwiches at lunch, rice cake snacks, and protein shakes), but I actually coped by getting up early every day for the 3 days we were there and running. It sucked, but it helped. I also made sure to do physical things on the beach every day (volleyball, frisbee, etc), and I swam a bit. You could try smaller portions for lunch. Do they pack a cooler? You could always pack some fruit for snacks so you're not as hungry at the burger joint.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I would use this as a test. Think about it - when you reach your goal and you need to live life normally, what will you do? You aren't going to bring your food wherever you go forever.

We take our kids to Universal/Disney/Sea World several times a year (in fact, going next week) and I try to make the best choices I can while still enjoying myself and not causing issues with the rest of the family. Am I gonna have cotton candy? You bet! But I will only have a couple of handfuls. There are plenty of healthy options wherever you go, you just need to make the right decisions and trust your willpower! (And enjoy, you're on vacation after all!)
  • RuthWorth
    RuthWorth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If he insists on eating there every meal, just order the smallest burger minus all the condements and just have the lettuce or tomato to go with it and then cut a few calories out of your salad like high fat cheese --have them put low fat cheese "etc". But most of all enjoy yourselves and if necessary spurge a little--not a lot; and then get back into the program when you return home. Of course you can throw in some extra excerie by walking barefoot in the sand; which is tougher than you think, and is recomment for strengthening your leg muscles. Three days is not going to do much damage when you probably are doing extra walking and even jogging on the beach.:happy:
  • s_perdue
    s_perdue Posts: 11
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! I vacation with my husband's family, and they are TRUE southern cookers(high fat, high butter, grease, etc...) This year I went to the grocery store with them and bought TONS of fruit, wheat bread, yogurt, and some rice cakes. No one was offended, they just kinda laughed at me. Most people who give you grief are jealous in a way at how well you are taking care of yourself. Don't let it bother you. Try to eat smaller portions of the "bad" stuff that they might try to feed you. I'm sure there is somewhere on the boardwalk that has a grilled chicken sandwich. Just remove the bun and you're good to go!! Also, get up early and exercise. It can be hard, but it is SOOOO worth it. It gives you a chance to get away from the family and you feel better about yourself all day! Just don't use it as an excuse to stuff your face all day long. Remember, u still want to rock that swimsuit. =)
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    At least it is only 3 days, and if you have one bad meal a day for 3 days that is not too bad. Try to make the best choices possible and have a GREAT time!!!
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! :flowerforyou:

I think I'm going to try and find a place once I get there, that is near where we sit on the beach, that has a good healthy alternative. I l also do plan on bringing my running shoes so I can do something active every morning.

And you're right, kdiamond, I should think of it as a test. If I can get through this weekend proud of my actions while I was there then I know I'll have learned something and know that this is something I can do for the rest of my life.

And, gosh darnit, I'm gonna do it! :drinker:
  • stongue
    stongue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You'll love Ocean City. We love going there! There are a ton of great seafood places to eat. There are also several grocery stores there so you won't have any difficulty buying whatever you find you may need when you get there. There are several pretty good buffets there (I know for us that may not be a good thing:bigsmile: ) At least you would be able to get nice salads and soups or seafood and salads. If you get up fairly early the beach is usually empty. I love walking down near the ocean early in the morning barefoot. I can walk for miles and not even realize it. Enjoy your trip and don't focus too much on your eating. You can focus instead on getting in additional exercise while you are there.