caloric intake while breastfeeding?

Options
I think its recommended to eat 1800 calories a day while nursing, are there settings to abide by this on MFP?? If I stick to the 1450 for a 1lb/week weight loss will it negatively affect my supply?

Replies

• ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My understanding s that you need about 500cals per feed so if ur nursing 6 times that uses 3000 cals. Not sure how you can input with MFP but if you know your calorific daily level just add the extra cals per number of feeds? Sorry didn't know exactly. Enjoy the baby and the experience as its so special :)
  • Emmielia
    Emmielia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I stuck to my 1210 at first (I was 229) mainly without exercise, and BF my LO. I stick to 1500 cals now, with 5-6 days a week exercising, and he has about 5 feeds a day still. As long as your getting nutrients it wont affect your milk at all as they will take what they need from you regardless.
  • Emmielia
    Emmielia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My understanding s that you need about 500cals per feed so if ur nursing 6 times that uses 3000 cals. Not sure how you can input with MFP but if you know your calorific daily level just add the extra cals per number of feeds? Sorry didn't know exactly. Enjoy the baby and the experience as its so special :)

I thought BFing burns around 500 cals per day not per feed
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your child's pediatrician. Better yet, I'd find a lactation consultant. (Our pediatrician's office has one on staff.). She would be able to make recommendations for your diet that would keep you within calorie guidelines, yet keep up your supply. Breastfeeding can be wonderful but it can also be stressful, and it's a fine line!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I thought BFing burns around 500 cals per day not per feed

it is per day, or at least that's what WW says (what i did after my last baby when I was still nursing him). There are entries under the exercise portion where you can put in "breastfeeding" as "exercise" and it will add the 500 calories back to your net goal for you.
  • AlexandraG07
    Options
    Aha! Thanks everyone! And thank you for the congratulations as well. I nursed my first born as well and didn't start my weight loss process until she weaned, mostly due to my laziness. So starting a fitness routine while nursing is all new to me.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Sorry but this is way to high!!! Its 500 extra per DAY not per feeding!!

If you go to food and input breastfeeding. There is one option that gives you 500 calories and extra fat and protein (also important when bf) I am currently bf my 7 month old daughter. My calorie goal is 1260 + the 500 for bf so I eat about 1700 a day. my milk supply is great (my daughter is healthy and growing perfectly) and I have lost 24 lbs since Jan 20, 2013 (correction 26.4 lbs, just weigh myself and I lost 2.4 lbs this week Yay!) Hope this helps! Enjoy that baby! Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Sorry but this is way to high!!! Its 500 extra per DAY not per feeding!!

If you go to food and input breastfeeding. There is one option that gives you 500 calories and extra fat and protein (also important when bf) I am currently bf my 7 month old daughter. My calorie goal is 1260 + the 500 for bf so I eat about 1700 a day. my milk

supply is great (my daughter is healthy and growing perfectly) and I have lost 24 lbs since Jan 20, 2013 (correction 26.4 lbs, just weigh myself and I lost 2.4 lbs this week Yay!) Hope this helps! Enjoy that baby! Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:

Oops sorry was mush brain earlier! Yep made a boobie Thanks for rectifying ignore old Grandma brain :)