Too much of a good thing?

Options
I'm a new member to MFP. At this point in my life, I'm trying to lose weight, but overall would like to change my diet for the long term. I'm tracking my cal/fat intake more than anything, but I also track carbs, sugar, sodium, protein, and fiber. Previously, I was a coffee creamer and pepsi addict, so I'm always over on my sugar but right now I'm ok with it because I know what I was consuming before was 10x my current amount. My concern is that I'm over on my protein/fiber everyday. Does this go along with the old saying of "too much of a good thing is bad"? I'm also taking a generic daily multi-vitamin.

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How much over are you going ?
  • tiffstar714
    Options
    How much over are you going ?

Some days not at all, other days my protein will be anywhere for +4 to +32, fiber is usually only over a few.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Being over on protein is not a bad thing. MFP sets it fairly low.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yeah, MFP sets protein too low. 100g per day is usually a good goal.
  • tiffstar714
    Options
    My plan is currently at 45 for protein and 14 for fiber. I wont worry about the protein anymore, how about the fiber? 14-20 is ok? I'm trying to lose weight at the moment, but I want to maintain a good healthy diet after the reaching my weight goal.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    My plan is currently at 45 for protein and 14 for fiber. I wont worry about the protein anymore, how about the fiber? 14-20 is ok? I'm trying to lose weight at the moment, but I want to maintain a good healthy diet after the reaching my weight goal.

You should be fine at 14-20g of fiber and could even increase that intake. Per the National Institutes of Health, it's recommended that adults get 20-35g. I am usually somewhere between 25-40g and haven't had any problems.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002470.htm
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to do a different online food diary, and it had fiber goals set so that with 15-25 you got a yellow traffic light (it's ok but could do better) and more than 25 got a green light so it was good.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Over by a bad amount" on protein is functionally not a thing, unless you're also well over on calories or have a specific medical condition.

"Over by a bad amount" on fiber is also pretty difficult for most folks to accomplish while staying within their calorie allotment. For most, the worst thing that happens as a consequence is you poop a lot.
  • tiffstar714
    Options
    "Over by a bad amount" on protein is functionally not a thing, unless you're also well over on calories or have a specific medical condition.

"Over by a bad amount" on fiber is also pretty difficult for most folks to accomplish while staying within their calorie allotment. For most, the worst thing that happens as a consequence is you poop a lot.
    LOL I figured that one out actually, my new saying has been...Fiber makes ya fart.
  • tiffstar714
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys, I feel better now =)