Advice on losing baby fat

Options
Hi guys,since I started getting trim in jan my wife now wants to lose her jelly belly (her words not mine) after having 3 kids (last one 9months ago) I'm just after a bit of advice for her on the best way to go about it for maximum results. She eats quite clean and probably only around 1200-1500 cals a day. (She's not yet using MFP) she's does school run by foot pushing a buggy about 2 miles a day up and down hills plus housework. She's 28. 5ft 3 127lbs.

I've suggested more cardio ie exercise bike and aerobics at home due to limited time 30 mins a day with a few crunches thrown in to tighten things up.

Can any if you ladies give me some more advice to pass on,be most grateful as I want to see her happy!
Thanks
Kev

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,since I started getting trim in jan my wife now wants to lose her jelly belly (her words not mine) after having 3 kids (last one 9months ago) I'm just after a bit of advice for her on the best way to go about it for maximum results. She eats quite clean and probably only around 1200-1500 cals a day. (She's not yet using MFP) she's does school run by foot pushing a buggy about 2 miles a day up and down hills plus housework. She's 28. 5ft 3 127lbs.

I've suggested more cardio ie exercise bike and aerobics at home due to limited time 30 mins a day with a few crunches thrown in to tighten things up.

Can any if you ladies give me some more advice to pass on,be most grateful as I want to see her happy!
    Thanks
    Kev

More cardio is not necessary. If she s eating 12-1500 cals she should be losing weight.

I would suggest a good full body strength training routine 3x a week to combat the jiggly bits.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    It depends what her belly issues are...Does she have skin issues or fat? If it's fat you can't spot reduce fat. You can do 1,000 crunches and hour but you still won't see abs if you don't reduce the fat.

Combining cardio with strength is best IMO.

If she wants to lose more weight it will probably be slow because she is already at a healthy weight.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    I would personally say its hard to tell if its more skin than fat and as she is at a healthy weight I don't believe dieting is nessecary. But there is a lot of excess wobbly bits she says! Thighs,bum etc also holding a bit. Is a weight training plan best then without cardio or can she do like me weight train 3x week cardio 2x? It will all have to be done at home.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Did she have a c section?? I had mine 5 months ago and it is coming off but really slow!! My first child was born naturally and I gained ton of weight with him but most of it fell off. With this one it has been much more difficult and I wonder if it isnt because of the C. I am6 years older though too. Tell her to hang in there and join up if she needs some support of other moms. There are plenty of us on here!!!!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I would personally say its hard to tell if its more skin than fat and as she is at a healthy weight I don't believe dieting is nessecary. But there is a lot of excess wobbly bits she says! Thighs,bum etc also holding a bit. Is a weight training plan best then without cardio or can she do like me weight train 3x week cardio 2x? It will all have to be done at home.

cardio is good for your overall health even if you aren't trying to lose weight. If she doesn't want to lose weight though and she just wants to work on toning I would suggest her upping her calories.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I suggest a mix of cardio and strength moves. Get her some dumb bells and if she doesn't hate Jillian, the 30 day shred. I found it really helped tighten things up. For her bum and thighs, lots of squats and lunges. About her belly, if it's fat then lowering body fat % should help. If it's excess skin I'm not sure exercise would help. Is she counting her cals? If not, she can't really be sure how much she's eating.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Thanks for your help, all 3 were natural births, can anyone suggest a good strength program she can do at home?
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Just to add, her weight has only gone up from 8st to 9st in 8 years!!!!!! She wants to lose 1 stone and tone up! So cardio and strength would be best yeh?
  • kikirichards
    kikirichards Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend the 30 Day shred, it's helped me tone up my wobbly bits after having 3 children.

She could try it to see if it's something she'd like via You tube. Search 30 Day shred level 1. My stomach is slowly getting back to what it once was..
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    Check out Nerd Fitness. Plenty of stuff to do at home or in a park.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    30 day shred looks like great place to start for her, thanks ;)