Lifting Heavy - changed it up... Is it good enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you can also do split squats instead of using a squat rack.
    the weight is half what it would be for a standard squat,
    so it's much easier to put it on your shoulders. or can be done
    with dumb bells if you don't have a barbell yet,
    but try to get one soon, you balance will be much better,
    even if it's just the standard bar.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    you can also do split squats instead of using a squat rack.
    the weight is half what it would be for a standard squat,
    so it's much easier to put it on your shoulders. or can be done
    with dumb bells if you don't have a barbell yet,
    but try to get one soon, you balance will be much better,
    even if it's just the standard bar.

I have a barbell and I will NEVER be putting that barbell behind my neck!!! LOL. Can't handle it - it's only front squats for me! I had a c1 fracture 7 years ago. Neck and upperback never the same....
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What you have will work fine. It looks like pushups are your finishing move. Are you doing them close or wide? The closer you go the more you engage your triceps. The suggestions above are all valid ideas but at some point you'll plateau and that's when I would incorporate these changes. You have what appears to be a solid routine and you're not looking for bulk so stick with it for now. Dumbbells are better as they engage more muscle fibers since you "control" the weight as well as lift. Barbells are good too but I would do them after a few months or so, and they are more specific, meaning they'll build more definition than you can with dumbbells.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    New Weight Program Mon Wed and Fri (Tuesday are badminton, 2-3 other days are walks with the baby!!!)

Work Out A
    Tri/Lat Pulldowns
    Bentover Rows
    Pectoral Fly
    Deadlifts
    FrontBar Squats
    Lunges with dumbbells
    Core on floor - 2 exercises of choice

WorkOutB
    Reverse Fly
    Pushups
    Deadlifts
    OHP
    FrontBar Squats
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Can I do bench press right on the floor? I don't have a weight bench.
    no.

you can actually. but it's called a floor press and is typically an assistance exercise for bench press. Triceps predominantly.
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    I tend to think in terms of large muscle groups and build my program from there. Legs, Chest, Back, Arms and Abs.

Research shows that when you think and concentrate on the muscle expanding and contracting during the exercise the overall progress is best.

If you check around the web most beginning lifters programs recommend a 3 day per week full body work out as you have. The theory is to introduce the full body and CNS (central nervous system) to the stress so it can grow with the muscles as well.

Bent over rows and dead lifts have issues with form that can put far too much stress on the back if done wrong. If your budget is tight try bodybuilding.com for technique, exercise and even programs is good but vast. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/

For more technique(dead lift especially) go to youtube. You'll find tons of info there. Don't just watch the first one you see and follow.

Not sure where you get 5x5. 3x8/12 is more beginner focused. 5x5 is more High Intensity Training.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    New Weight Program Mon Wed and Fri (Tuesday are badminton, 2-3 other days are walks with the baby!!!)

Work Out A
    Tri/Lat Pulldowns
    Bentover Rows
    Pectoral Fly
    Deadlifts
    FrontBar Squats
    Lunges with dumbbells

WorkOutB
    Reverse Fly
    Pushups
    Deadlifts
    OHP
    FrontBar Squats

Looks like a good mix of things. Let us know how it works for you!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Oh ya, and Im doing the 30 day Squat Challenge with no weights.

ooh whats that?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Oh ya, and Im doing the 30 day Squat Challenge with no weights.

ooh whats that?

Just google it and it will come up and give u a list of 30 days with how many squats to do on each day.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Forgot to include BENCH PRESS!!!!!

Work Out A
    Tri/Lat Pulldowns
    Bentover Rows
    Pectoral Fly
    Deadlifts
    FrontBar Squats
    Lunges with dumbbells

WorkOutB
    Reverse Fly
    Pushups
    Deadlifts
    OHP
    FrontBar Squats
    Bench Press on gym set
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I tend to think in terms of large muscle groups and build my program from there. Legs, Chest, Back, Arms and Abs.

Research shows that when you think and concentrate on the muscle expanding and contracting during the exercise the overall progress is best.

If you check around the web most beginning lifters programs recommend a 3 day per week full body work out as you have. The theory is to introduce the full body and CNS (central nervous system) to the stress so it can grow with the muscles as well.

Bent over rows and dead lifts have issues with form that can put far too much stress on the back if done wrong. If your budget is tight try bodybuilding.com for technique, exercise and even programs is good but vast. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/

For more technique(dead lift especially) go to youtube. You'll find tons of info there. Don't just watch the first one you see and follow.

Not sure where you get 5x5. 3x8/12 is more beginner focused. 5x5 is more High Intensity Training.

body builder type splits are not the best choice for a beginner who has minimal strength. The beginner programs that you speak of utilise the big compound lifts as they are the most efficient at building strength. Once a base of strength is accomplished, then the person should decide on which way they want to focus.

Cliffs: no point doing Ronnie Coleman's sets and reps if you are bench pressing 45lbs.