One year ago today...

Options
BigDnSW
BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
One year ago on this date, I came back from a serious but loving a** chewing from my MD. I was about 80 lbs. heavier, could barely walk, totally out of shape, and not feeling well in all areas. Well, I took Doc's advice and started the food journey with some barely being able to exercise routines for the disabled in my "chair". Yes, I am disabled...but not enough to eat myself to death. So, with the help from my amazing wife of 33.7 years (now) and the just sheer want to, I started that day a year ago--April 20, 2012. Later that summer, I was researching various foods to lower my sodium and cholesterol and wouldn't you know it, MFP found me. So, a week or so later I joined and found some amazing friends here.

Well, it is one year today. I now can walk again. I no longer need the "chair", my scooter, or my canes. I have lost a lot of weight since joining MFP, a lot of inches, and some old clothes. I am now over half way to my first weight goal and 70% toward my final goal weight. But, this isn't just about the weight loss...it's also about the gains. What have I gained in this past year?

1. A new respect for a healthy lifestyle.
2. A deeper love for life.
3. An appreciation for my wife who never quit on me on the days when I did.
4. Dear friends who never quit on me here at MFP.
5. Baggy clothes :laugh:
6. A deep heart of thanks for a merciful and graceful God who sustains me and did not give up on me either.
7. A big smile.
8. A deeper love for others and a bigger heart of compassion.
9. Laughter.
10. And, most of all, I have learned to love myself again in a healthy and positive manner without being selfish, self absorbed, or any of that other crap.

So, what did I give myself for my official non-MFP one year anniversary? MY FIRST OVER 1000 CALORIE BURN IN ONE DAY!

Yeah, shout it out to MFP and my friends. Yes, I still deal with chronic pain...but it ain't so bad. To finish, I will quote Dan Aykroyd in "Trading Places", "Let's go kick some butt!"

Thanks and Git R Done!!! :flowerforyou:

Dave

Replies

• MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    YAY to you!!! You brighten every day to those of us who are privileged to be among your friends here on MFP. Congratulations on your 1,000 day~you are an inspiration to us all!!!
  • pmn55
    pmn55 Posts: 2
    Options
    What an encouraging post, yeah for you and yeah for your (our) merciful and gracious God !!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    So much courage and so much love in your story--thank you for sending a message of hope to those out there who are needing inspiration to make it through another day on their journey to health. I wish you and your lovely lady peace, joy and heath.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Awesome.....great story, fantastic results. Good for you Dave!
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! You truly have success!!!
  • appyspirit
    appyspirit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What a great post! Thank you!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Made the ending of my 1 year day the best. :smile:
  • monk789
    monk789 Posts: 6
    Options
    Congratulations on a new life!!:smile:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed your MFP friendship during the months since I joined. Your progress, determination, and attitude are inspiring. Thanks for putting up with my sarcasm! :wink:
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post! Congrats on your success and thank you for sharing your story.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    very touching story *snif*
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and its nice to see how you can look back and see all the things, besides great health, that you gained through your journey.
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Really great!
  • Shortie1965
    Shortie1965 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    great job and keep up the great work!!!
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wonderfully inspiring post...thanks for sharing! Congrats on both the scale victories but more importantly the NSV's.
  • naterar
    naterar Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome, you are a inspiration to us well.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This is so Fantastic! Keep it up you are doing GREAT and I hope in a year I am right here where you are now best of luck on your continued Lifestyle change!
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are so very inspiring!!! :)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Everyone on MFP should read this post! THIS is what it's all about! Thank you and congratulations on your achievements! :drinker:
  • samspencer1966
    samspencer1966 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1 year anniversary. You are an inspiration to us :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!