Sit ups VS Crunches

Options
I am thinking but not sure if I am correct that sit ups and cruches work your abs differently. I am trying to make my core stronger as to relieve some back/hip issues. Sit ups are definitley harder for me so not sure if i should alternate them. Thanks!

Replies

• eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for crunches and situps. I never do situps (my gut is too big) but I was doing a lot of crunches now am seeing that's not good either! I do do leg lifts and rotations, etc. Will have to do more research on it! Lately I been doing a stand up core work out from youtube. Its fun. Youtube has tons of exercise videos if you are looking for ideas.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You should think about doing plank too
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do either of those to strengthen your core, there are plenty of other exercises you can do! I agree that you should look through YouTube for ideas. Crunches should be easier for your back.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a herniated disk and several bulging disks in my lower back. My physical therapist says sit-ups and crunches are the worst for an injured or even aggravated back. Google and find stretches for strengthening back and core. Several Pilates and yoga poses work well.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do either of those to strengthen your core, there are plenty of other exercises you can do! I agree that you should look through YouTube for ideas. Crunches should be easier for your back.

this. after a good deadlift workout, my core feels like i've done 5 minutes of planks
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Reverse crunches and sit ups are clearly superior and so are hanging bent knee leg raises if done correctly (limit swinging).
    The lower abs are typically harder to develop and when you work your lower abs, you also work your upper abs so they get attention in the order that they need it.

reverse-crunch-bench.gif