help please ...

Options
I am a 50 year old male, weighing 292 pounds and currently being treated for an underactive thyroid which is controlled by thyroxine. I have been using mfp for the past month working on 2150 calories a day with regular weekend exercise, nomally consisting of 30 mile bike rides. I am normally under my calories every day and more so when exercising and to date I have lost a grand total of 0 pounds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Les

Replies

• fighttheurge39
    Options
    HI if you can open your diary that would be helpful :) are you eating back the calories you are burning off from exercise?
  • mybasketsoflove
    Options
    Hey I'm not a professional, but I've had some success with the nutrition program I'm on. I don't follow the guidelines they use here, mainly because I feel like it's still too high. I am on a 1500-1800 calorie program, with only 30g of fat/daily, I also watch my sodium intake and that seems to help. After you workout, drink at least 8 ounces of water and some kind of protein. I eat the Profast protein bars, they are only 150 calories, low in fat and good with protein. Research says that you continue to burn fat and calories for 3 hours if you consume protein after a workout. Just my opinion, but it's working for me. Good luck and keep going
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Calories in < Calories out.

Do you incorporate strength training?
  • juleskitcat
    juleskitcat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that your total calorie intake is more of a maintenance one - seems awfully high. Reduce it and you will see progress. Watch the carbs AND the eating after 7pm... also - no sauces etc. Good luck!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have your doc recheck your thyroid. Mine will go a little wonky once in a while. Used to be I could recheck every six months, we are rechecking every three right now. I had a high reading, went off meds, then went really low about 18 months ago.

Try some modest exercise everyday, this can be tough to squeeze in, but may help.
  • homerj46
    homerj46 Posts: 3
    Options
    How do I make my food diary public ....
  • CoachColin
    Options
    Added you as a friend I ll take a look at your diary once its visable. The calories in calories out approach has some merit yet but ultimately you need as many nutrient dense foods as possible. Definitely, take a look at my diary on days that I'm at 1800 calories I eat super clean those days. I also would not use the default macro nutrients presented on this site either. I would raise the protien and lower fat and carbs a bit and see if that helps.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    eating after 7pm...

Fallacy. Your body doesn't know the difference between calories in at 7AM versus calories in at 7PM. Or 11PM for that matter.

I would agree with other posters that 2100 seems high. I started off around 1800 (3 hrs of exercise 3 times a week, and moderately active at work), and have since dropped down to just shy of 1600.
  • homerj46
    homerj46 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have my thyroid checked every 6 months and it was only done 2 weeks ago, currently on 175 mg which was reduced from 225mg in December.
  • JohnBG123
    JohnBG123 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hello,
    I write down my daily goal and measure from there, not after they go up after exercising.
    Don't give up. You can add me as a friend if you like.
    John