Protein suggestions

Options
Needing to add more protein. Can't do tuna (allergic). Already eating chicken for dinner or lunch. Laughing cow cheese as snacks. suggestions. want to up the % of protein on mfp. Aiminig for 2 fruits and 5 vegetables a day as well...got that.

Replies

• fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My new protein go-to is cottage cheese. But I'm picky. I only like the Simply Kraft 2% cottage cheese. (180 calories and 22 grams of protein in each 244g (1 cup) portion)

I usually eat it with a snack pack portion of Dole mandarin oranges in juice (80 cals) or Del Monte in artificially sweetened water (45 cals).

I like to have it as my first meal of the day and my before bed snack.

I also keep cooked chicken in my fridge. If I want a little snack, I'll eat 1 or 2 ounces. Or I'll toss it on a salad or mix it with a bit of mayo or yogurt and eat it on wedges of red bell pepper.

I know a lot of others like to drink protein shakes, but I don't seem to tolerate them very well.
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    1 scoop of Whey Protein Isolate gives you a good boost of daily protein. You can get a great brand that will last you all month and averages out about a dollar a day. Many flavors as well. You can mix it in water, milk, or make a smoothie with fruits and vegetables.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, protein bars and shakes.
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Steak.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    are you allergic to all seafood or just tuna? Coz I was gonna say prawns and fish in general are low cal high protein... I lurve prawns... oh and boiled eggs yum
    Nuts have alot of protein in and pulses ... try adding them to your meals in moderation
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt in a smoothie (20grams), QUEST protein bar (20grams), Turkey Bites (6/sausage), Cheese Strings (6/string) and Protein Powder (Kaiser....in Canada....don't know if it's available elsewhere) and it's 35/scoop

Good luck!!!
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just tuna. What are prawns? Thank for the info.
  • TrainSweatEatSleep
    TrainSweatEatSleep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Steak.

PREFERABLY TOP ROUND STEAK THIN CUT
    :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :explode: :love: :flowerforyou: :smokin: :smooched: :heart: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    prawns.... like shrimp?
  • samspencer1966
    samspencer1966 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Almonds. I snack on around 20 each day. Low in calories and high in protein.
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Needing to add more protein. Can't do tuna (allergic). Already eating chicken for dinner or lunch. Laughing cow cheese as snacks. suggestions. want to up the % of protein on mfp. Aiminig for 2 fruits and 5 vegetables a day as well...got that.

Here is a list of Commonly eaten protein foods
    Meats*

Lean cuts of:
    beef
    ham
    lamb
    pork
    veal

Game Meats
    bison
    rabbit
    venison

Lean Ground Meats
    beef
    pork
    lamb

Lean luncheon or deli meats

Organ Meats
    liver
    giblets
    Poultry*
    chicken
    duck
    goose
    turkey
    ground chicken and turkey
    Eggs*
    chicken eggs
    duck eggs
    Beans and Peas
    bean burgers
    black beans
    black-eyed peas
    chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
    falafel
    kidney beans
    lentils
    lima beans (mature)
    navy beans
    pinto beans
    soy beans
    split peas
    white beans
    Processed Soy Products
    tofu (bean curd made from soybeans)
    veggie burgers
    tempeh
    texturized vegetable protein (TVP)
    Nuts and Seeds*
    almonds
    cashews
    hazelnuts (filberts)
    mixed nuts
    peanuts
    peanut butter
    pecans
    pistachios
    pumpkin seeds
    sesame seeds
    sunflower seeds
    walnuts
    Seafood*

Finfish such as:
    catfish
    cod
    flounder
    haddock
    halibut
    herring
    mackerel
    pollock
    porgy
    salmon
    sea bass
    snapper
    swordfish
    trout
    tuna

Shellfish such as:
    clams
    crab
    crayfish
    lobster
    mussels
    octopus
    oysters
    scallops
    squid (calamari)
    shrimp

Canned fish such as:
    anchovies
    clams
    tuna
    sardines

Hope is helps ????
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Definately. Didn't know about beans and seeds in that category. Hmm. So many more choices than what I knew. Thank all.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I would add, but seems the poster above got it ALL!

I get most of mine from fish/chicken/eggs, also some from seeds (chia seeds are a blessing), soy milk, full-cream milk and protein shakes :) 100g a day is my goal!
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Almonds. I snack on around 20 each day. Low in calories and high in protein.

Can't support this. Almond protein is not essential-amino-complete. It's severely lacking in lysine and methionine in particular.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Greek style yogurt has definitely been my go-to. It's great for just about any situation. Get some with fruit on the bottom (or plain, and add your own fruit) and you have a snack with some carbs immediately available for that energy boost while working out, and the slower-digesting protein to help keep you full longer. I eat some for breakfast most days :)
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    Egg Whites are high in protein 3.6g and low in cals 17