Do you work an active job?

Options

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I don't do manual labor or anything, but I'm a teacher. I stand up 90% of the day. Sitting down and not "actively monitoring" is actually frowned upon at my campus.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but I started working standing up. I could probably try and get an upright desktop, but may have to pay for it out of pocket.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I work in a liquor store. It's much more demanding than it seems on the surface! We have a warehouse in the back, and stocking shelves means carting 3-4 40-50lb cases on a hand cart from the back to the front, lifting the cases, etc. Once a week we get our shipment which can range from 500-800 cases (we're the busiest store in the area). It can be fun, but can also be grueling because you're on your feet doing this for 8-11 hours. I got a BodyMedia, and I take around 13,000+ steps on days I work, and burn around 3,600 calories without doing any additional exercise.

Thankfully almost all of our customers are awesome (they're getting their "happy juice" after all!), so customer stupidity is low for being retail.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have an active job and I LOVE it. I worked in retail for years but always at the front-end cashier side, never on the stocking side.

I have a fixed schedule and wake up at 3:45 every morning Monday through Saturday, to be at work by 5 a.m. sharp. The store is completely empty except for me, my co-workers, and a few contractors buying supplies for their jobs (since it is a hardware store). Our immediate supervisor doesn't even arrive until 6:30, and the GM is busy with other things, so there is an unbelievable amount of freedom. I go up and down ladders, lift boxes anywhere from half a pound to sixty pounds, and basically stock a bunch of crap for people to buy and make sure it all looks nice. It's a simple job, I get to take breaks whenever I want, and it has inspired me to start weightlifting so that I can lift heavier and heavier things by myself without asking for help.

Sure, on occasion I have overstressed my muscles or gotten bad bruises, and cardboard cuts sting like a b!tch, but on the whole it's by far the best minimum-wage job I've ever had, haha. I am getting some serious calf, thigh and butt muscles from being on ladders so much!
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    Right now I'm doing an internship so I'm pretty much just sitting in meetings a couple of hours a day, but my last job was in the fields and that was pretty active :P

Doing what in what kinds of fields? Sounds cool already.

I worked in a couple of fields picking peaches. Basically you carry a bucket on a harness and climb up a ladder, fill it with peaches, and dump it into a huge bin where someone grades them. You have to be quick and have a good eye because you get paid per bin and they're pretty big.
    I also worked picking peppers where you fill a large paint bucket with peppers. It's lots of picking and carrying heavy things and hurrying around haha.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have an active job and I LOVE it. I worked in retail for years but always at the front-end cashier side, never on the stocking side.

I have a fixed schedule and wake up at 3:45 every morning Monday through Saturday, to be at work by 5 a.m. sharp. The store is completely empty except for me, my co-workers, and a few contractors buying supplies for their jobs (since it is a hardware store). Our immediate supervisor doesn't even arrive until 6:30, and the GM is busy with other things, so there is an unbelievable amount of freedom. I go up and down ladders, lift boxes anywhere from half a pound to sixty pounds, and basically stock a bunch of crap for people to buy and make sure it all looks nice. It's a simple job, I get to take breaks whenever I want, and it has inspired me to start weightlifting so that I can lift heavier and heavier things by myself without asking for help.

Sure, on occasion I have overstressed my muscles or gotten bad bruises, and cardboard cuts sting like a b!tch, but on the whole it's by far the best minimum-wage job I've ever had, haha. I am getting some serious calf, thigh and butt muscles from being on ladders so much!

That's what I used to do for Target! So much fun. Yeah you have to get up at 3am or so and get to work at 4:30am but you get to do so much without people breathing down your back. No customers to worry about, no managers watching your every move and you get out of there at 8am-12pm (longer days). Plus everyone is so much fun to work with. All you worry about is taking product off a truck, running it down a line, organizing it into categories then putting it on the shelf. It's almost like Christmas because you get to see what's in the box! It's a lot of working out too since you are constantly moving heavy objects, opening things, and putting things on the shelf.

I really recommend a stocking job. It's low stress, decent pay compared to those folding clothes or working the cash register, and you make some good friends.

Currently I do the opposite style of job but have a ton of freedom still. I have a desk job. Make my own schedule & get to move around wherever I want, sometimes working from home. I sit on my butt but I don't mind it as I go to the gym. :)
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I help take care of 10 toddlers for 8 hours a day Monday thru Friday.....yup, definitely an active job!!!
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm a student with a side job at a bakery - on your feet for around 7 hours a day. It's quite a bit of carrying stuff around, especially during opening/closing time. Otherwise it's lots of walking back and forth behind the counter to get orders and whatnot. I really like it though since you're always busy and time goes by super quickly. Downside: being surrounded by yummy treats all day.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of 4 little ones. It counts! :bigsmile:
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job, but my desk is the farthest away from the printer/photo copier and the kitchen. So I had nice walks to get my coffee or when I needed to pick something up at the printer. Last week we got a brand new printer/copier and it's in the cubicle right across from mine. I asked not to be hooked up to it but was told me having to walk so far was one of the reasons they got the darn thing so my walking time is drastically cut. I guess I'll just have to drink more coffee!
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, but I find ways to keep myself moving more: I use the printer and plotters farthest away from my desk so I have further to walk to get them, I walk to my colleagues' offices instead of using the intercom when I need to talk to them, and I walk the long way to the washrooms. I'm typically able to log 2000-3000 steps at work.
  • callumburnett
    callumburnett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Student Phys Ed teacher here so pretty active. In the summer i caddy for one of the best golf courses in the world so at least 6 miles a day doing that plus what ever i do at the gym.
    Couldn't stand an office job, i think id spontaneously combust.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My job is an Office Manager - it is moderately active! I am sitting a lot, but up and down a lot, as well! Whenever I run errands, I always park at the far end of the parking lot, which causes me to get a lot of flack, but I don't care! I always use the stairs instead of the elevator! Just anything to get more exercise during the day!
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I work at a very busy Chinese restaurant waiting tables usually by myself so I wait tables bus tables and cashier. Keeps you running from 6-9 hrs 5 days a week.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a part-time English teacher and I teach teens... So I'm on my feet most of the time, going from student to student solving questions; or playing games with them :) I looooove my job! :D
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I work a very active job. I teach preschool Three year olds. In a very large community center. The school wing is only one part of the building, we have access to all of it. My classroom is upstairs. I'm up and down the stairs an average of 10 times a day. Back and forth across the building to the playground and back, to the pool and back, to the gym and back, around the sculpture garden, etc many many times a day. And the number of trips back and forth across my own classroom is uncountable. Sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up all day long. Playing actively with the kids, also.

I lost my watch a couple weeks ago, and I've been wearing my step counter watch just for the hell of it. A typical work day for me seems to be averaging between 19,000 and 22,000 steps per day.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm a server at a high volume restaurant and do not sit down for 5-14 hours at a time. Constantly walking, carrying trays, big buckets of ice, kegs, taking out heavy trash cans, cleaning, bussing tables, stacking and unstacking chairs. At home, I chase a 2 year old and workout during his nap. Also, grocery shopping and cleaning the house all the time. My TDEE is super high!
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm a "Life Experience Coordinator" working with Severe Mentally ILL..The majority of my job keeps me be on-the-go :happy: then to find time for the computer charting notes :grumble: :grumble:
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I work at an athletic retail store. I'm literally walking around for my entire shift, chatting with people, carrying things, or unpacking boxes. As an additional perk to that, I get a few workout classes per week paid for by my company to keep me fit. :smile: This job has literally changed my body! I used to work a desk job. Never again.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I work at an equipment desk at my college's rec center. Half the time (sometimes more, depending on the shift) I'm just sitting in a chair, doing paperwork or homework, but the rest of the time I'm running around, lifting equipment like weights, basketballs, and speed bags for our patrons!