how bad is stevia for you?

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
Or is it bad for you at all? Is agavia nectar better?

Replies

• meeper123
    Options
    Or have any ill effects?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the only sweetener I will use, it comes from a natural source. I do my best to stay away from manufactured sweeteners.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    studies haves shown it to be as bad or worse than aspartame... I still use it and don't really care.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Stevia is natural. For all the clean eaters, it is one of the OK sweeteners.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Any sweeteners are OK in moderation
  • meeper123
    Options
    Ok cool just hate the taste of agavia lol
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You can grow stevia and use the leaves... Doesn't sound bad for you. Truvia is a powder made from stevia.. it is processed. Is it bad for you? I don't know.. but it is highly refined and processed. There are other powders that are in a more natural state so you can choose how processed you want to go.

Agave nectar is not available without being quite processed.

I go with stevia it's cheaper. I buy it in a one pound tub and it lasts FOREVER!
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    they say stevia is ok to use... I will use whatever I feel like using at that point in time... I have raw dark agave, raw unfiltered honey, nectress, splenda... I think it is all fine in moderation.... :drinker:
  • meeper123
    Options
    You can grow stevia and use the leaves... Doesn't sound bad for you. Truvia is a powder made from stevia.. it is processed. Is it bad for you? I don't know.. but it is highly refined and processed. There are other powders that are in a more natural state so you can choose how processed you want to go.

Agave nectar is not available without being quite processed.

I go with stevia it's cheaper. I buy it in a one pound tub and it lasts FOREVER!

Thats true and it taste like syrup piss x.x
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use splenda I love it.. Haven't tried stevia. I think its a bit pricey.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    studies haves shown it to be as bad or worse than aspartame... I still use it and don't really care.

Those studies were dubious at best. They were conducted by Archer Daniels Midland, Monsanto, et al. Follow the money trail and you find that these "studies" are false. Stevia is a safe, natural sweetener. The only know side effect is a blood sugar lowering one so diabetics need to use extra precaution before using it. As with any sweetener, less is more.
  • Richard269
    Options
    Yes it safe !!!!
  • meeper123
    Options

Those studies were dubious at best. They were conducted by Archer Daniels Midland, Monsanto, et al. Follow the money trail and you find that these "studies" are false. Stevia is a safe, natural sweetener. The only know side effect is a blood sugar lowering one so diabetics need to use extra precaution before using it. As with any sweetener, less is more.

I have a terrible sweet tooth just looking to curb it a bit