Good recipe books which include calorie content

Options
lisamarie1780
lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
Does anyone know of any recipe books I can buy online which include the calorie content of the meals included?
I love cooking but it's getting on my nerves having to input all of my ingredients into MFP in order to calculate total calories. It would be great to have a book with it already done for me.
Thanks!

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    One book we really like is "The Looneyspoons Collection" by the Podleski sisters. Tasty food, good variety of dishes, good serving sizes, and it's fun/silly book. It has nutritional info.

HOWEVER. I have been manually entering the recipes on MFP (are you using the "Recipes" tool? You only have to everything once and then it's stored for the future, and gives you amounts per serving!) and have found, with few exceptions, that the calorie counts in the book are lower (10-20%) than the actual counts generated when I enter the exact ingredients I use. I've run into this issue with recipes posted online as well.

It's a pain, but I'm now convinced that it's worth the time to make recipe entries to make sure your counts are accurate.

That said, having at least a ballpark estimate from the book's nutritional info can help with decision-making/planning menus :smile:
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Check out the Taste of Home books, most include calories.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    9780307718099_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
    9781450854412_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
    Not-my-Mamas-Meals-Bobby-Deen.jpg

Those are the three I am usually cooking out of.
  • lisamarie1780
    Options
    thanks, I will be paying a visit to Amazon later on :-)
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight

Brilliant book, fab receipies and all calorie counted :)

Amazon do a good range of second hand copies.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My 2 faves are the Hairy Dieters, and Jamie's 15 minute meals.
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Better Homes and Gardens New CookBook has all the calories, fat, sodium, carb, fibre and protein content for each recipe. It also has exchange suggestions to make most recipes "healthier".
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have this one and it's got a lot of really nice stuff in it.

http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Complete-Cooking-Light-Cookboook/dp/0848730232

all-new-complete-cooking-light-7973l1.jpg
  • purplemomma64
    purplemomma64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Company's Coming cookbooks by Jean Pare list calorie content.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    The Flat Belly Diet Cookbook is awesome!
  • lisamarie1780
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I didn't realise there were so many books out there with calorie info etc. I definitely have lots of choice !!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    weight watchers has a cookbook which is a collection of foods from all over the world. it's separated by country and regions of the world. most are fairly simple too. lots of pictures. can't remember the name, but it's from years ago. pretty sure it had the calorie counts along with points.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can get Bobby Deen's recipes online at the food network.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    One book we really like is "The Looneyspoons Collection" by the Podleski sisters. Tasty food, good variety of dishes, good serving sizes, and it's fun/silly book. It has nutritional info.

HOWEVER. I have been manually entering the recipes on MFP (are you using the "Recipes" tool? You only have to everything once and then it's stored for the future, and gives you amounts per serving!) and have found, with few exceptions, that the calorie counts in the book are lower (10-20%) than the actual counts generated when I enter the exact ingredients I use. I've run into this issue with recipes posted online as well.

It's a pain, but I'm now convinced that it's worth the time to make recipe entries to make sure your counts are accurate.

That said, having at least a ballpark estimate from the book's nutritional info can help with decision-making/planning menus :smile:
    This. Then you get accurate macros to
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My sister likes the "Cook yourself Thin" book.
    Like previously mentioned the Podleski sisters have a lot of good recipes (and they're Canadian!). I love "Eat, Shrink and Be Merry"