Confused with the Excercise Calories/Daily Calories

Options
Ok, so according to MFP I am allowed 1370 calories/day, but I took it upon myself to lower to 1200. Now, when I work out it adds those calories I burn into my Net (between 600-800), but what does that mean? Am I suppose to eat those calories or not touch them at all? Or should I just eat a small portion.... I need assistance please :)

Thank you!

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    If you're already lowering it to 1200, make sure to eat some of those exercise calories because that 1370 is reduced from the number of calories it takes to maintain your weight. If you don't, your body will go into starvation mode. If you see that you're not losing weight, start eating more!
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It took me a minute to figure that out too. The answer is... it depends! So MFP lowers your calories allowed by 500 per day for each pound you want to lose per week. Then when you exercise, you burn calories so you could eat them and still lose 1 lb/week. You should at least eat your allowed calories because that is what you need to survive. If not, your body will go into starvation mode and will retain fat.

I usually do not eat my exercise calories unless I burn a lot. You might have to do some trial and error for a few weeks. Feel free to peak at my diary. Just ignore any bad stuff you might see. Good luck!! I'm sure you'll do great. :flowerforyou:
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    I always try to eat at least 1/2 of my excercise calories... and have lost 1 to 2 pounds a week.
  • Kladyga
    Kladyga Posts: 4
    Options
    That makes sense, I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I don't know why, but I felt like the 1370 was a bit high... but yeah, if I am burning such high amounts then I should eat some of them to "fuel my body".

Thank you!