fruit flies

Options
how do you get rid of fruit flies? i know i read something, somewhere, about leaving a bowl of something out, but i can't remember what it was - vinegar? oil? peanut butter? ...i just don't remember. can anyone help me out? thanks!

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    carnivorous plants in the kitchen help a bunch!! it's a win: win!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google search and found this:

"Make a fruit fly flytrap by putting a small amount of red wine in a shallow dish, cover it with a plastic wrap, stretching and holding it with a rubber band. Pierce some holes on the cover. Attracted to wine, flies will crawl in and would not be able to escape. You can also use banana or apple cider vinegar as a substitute to wine."

Read more: How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2002530_rid-fruit-flies.html#ixzz0tj9IoSlI

Good luck. I hate the pesky little buggers. (no pun intended)
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Vinegar in a cup covered with saran wrap with little tooth pick holes in it. Put it out, they get into the cup and they can't get out.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips everyone! I am SOOOO having this very problem as well and it SUCKS!!!!

You guys ROCK :-)
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've always used a small dish with apple cider vinegar and a drop of liquid dish soap....the flies cant get out of the liquid once they touch it. :)
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Also check that there are no "forgotten" pieces of fruit/veg anywhere as that many what is attracting them!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I've always used a small dish with apple cider vinegar and a drop of liquid dish soap....the flies cant get out of the liquid once they touch it. :)

this is it! as soon as i read it, i was like 'that's the one, that's the one'! lol. thanks for the help! :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    And when you have taken care of your unwanted "guests" you can use the rest of the apple cider vinegar to help you eliminate carb and sugar cravings. There have been posts about that on here in the past.