HRM versus FitBit

Options
For anyone who has used these products, which would you recommend? i have been using a FitBit but it is on its last leg and I don't know whether to purchase another one or if a HRM would be a better choice. I most do cardio at the moment but will be getting into strength training in a few weeks. Thanks for any insight offered.

Replies

• kiwi2006
    kiwi2006 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the ft7 (polar) and its fab. I've used it for cardio/weights/classes and so far its my new exercise BFF :laugh: I like that I have a more accurate calorie count now.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a HRM is you want to see the calories you burn doing ANY type of physical activity. A fitbit focuses more on steps taken and calories burned.

I have the Polar FT4 and love it!
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use the HRM for my workouts and wear the fitbit all day. My workout results sync directly to Fitbit via a partner app.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i have both. HRM is good for wearing while working out, and a fitbit isn't good at estimating calories during weight lifting because it concentrates on movement. but HRM aren't good for wearing all day long. I don't use my HRM anymore because i don't log my exercises, but when i did, it was super handy. i mostly use the fitbit just to make sure i'm moving around more throughout the day.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7 Hrm, go with a Polar :)
  • TillyTick
    TillyTick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the FitBit will monitor cycling? I am thinking of getting the Flex, but any info is useful.
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and a HRM. I use them both. The fitbit keeps me in check with how much I am stepping, but my HRM gives me a accurate reading of my calories burnt during my workouts. The Fitbit does not, since it does not read your heart rate. It's hard but if I had to choose, like someone forced me to give up one. I would have to keep my HRM since the Fitbit does not read my lifting.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is nice since it's so small and convenient and if you are doing mostly cardio you might want to get another. I compromised and bought the cheaper zip when my Fitbit Ultra got lost. I still use my HRM for weightlifting and it syncs with my Garmin 310 xt gps. Fitbit doesn't accurately calculate for strength training and cycling. Again....I wouldn't want to wear my HRM all day :)
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Firstly... with the fitbit... if you have problems with it, email customer support and most likely they will send you another one for free.

I have both fitbit and HRM and I use them for different things. I always take my exercise calories from fitbit (walking and running) BUT when i am running, although I have the fitbit in my pocket, I use the HRM to check and see where my heart rate is during my run. It lets me know if I can push a little harder or if I should stay at the same pace. It also helps me when I cool down as I tend to cool down too quickly after a run and the HRM lets me know when my heart rate has retuned to an acceptable level. I DO NOT log any of the calories from the HRM, just the fitbit in my pocket.

I use the HRM for weight training as well. Again, it lets me know when I am pushing it and how far to go.

Guess how you use them both is up to you but this is what works for me. Hope that helps :)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have both but find the fitbit to be a lot more motivating. I like reaching my daily goals and getting those silly badges. I've tracked my workouts with both & the fitbit is pretty close to the hrm for the walking/jogging that I do. If I did workouts that were less step based perhaps I would lean towards the Hrm but I am really loving my fitbit.
  • LovelyDayDay
    LovelyDayDay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love my HRM. its a new exercise buddy. i got it as a gift and ive used that with mfp and ive lost 5lbs in 14 days!
    i totally recommend a HRM for you. I have the Polar brand. $70 amazon. at walmart and kmart they have some for $25:heart::smile: :wink: :tongue: :love: :flowerforyou: :smokin: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would suggest both! I use my fitbit daily to keep track of how active I am with my steps and my HRM to help keep my HR in the zone when I am working out. The calorie burned estimations from a HRM are designed to estimate calories burned during cardio exercise and DO NOT reflect accurate calories burned during weight training. For weight train they are for monitoring your HR only.

If you are having issues with your fitbit you should email fitbit support from the site. I have found them to be incredibly responsive in replacing a broken fitbit when my ultra started cracking. Seriously - some of the best customer service ever!!!
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I have both and would definitely say go with the HRM. As much as I love my fitbit it can be pretty inaccurate for a number of reasons. HRM all the way.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin fr70. Love it ACCEPT for the fact that it keeps spiking on me. All of a sudden heart rate goes to 260. Happens about 3 times in an hour workout. I just life the chest strap and do a quick wipe and it settles down but it is annoying.
  • JerseyGirlMomof4
    JerseyGirlMomof4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I loved reading this thread and it has really helped me to decide that I will buy myself a fitbit one in the next month.

thanks
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use the HRM for my workouts and wear the fitbit all day. My workout results sync directly to Fitbit via a partner app.
    This - I am limited to low impact stuff that Fitty is poor at calculating (bike, rower, swimming, strength) so I use an HRM for all my workouts and stretches and wear the FB during the day
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I'd recommend both. FitBit is great for all day wear and HRM for workouts. Between the two I have my TDEE pretty accurately (based on calories in vs weight lost).
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    seriously? The fitbit counts as one of the best things I have ever purchased. Without it I would have given up in the first week or two. Instead I am 65lbs down and the fitbit was responsible for that!
  • KellyHealthyBrindle
    Options
    Ha, I thought I was going crazy, just got my fitbit one on Friday. I did the sleep tracking and then Saturday morning I forgot to take it out of the wrist pocket thingy, worked out with the wrist pocket thingy on and started freaking cause the fitbit one said 1.05 miles vs my elliptical said 3.64. Today, much better, clipped it on my bra, hehe, did 3.1 miles today but fitbit says 2.something, can live with that..so should i buy this hrm as well or stick to just my fitbit one? right now I am only doing my elliptical, i have some free weights and am wanting to incorporate some weight training, but need advice on a great site for free weight training.

I was going to wait for the fitbit flex, but I wanted/needed/impatientness won out, so I got my fitbit one. I still might get the flex but if you all have the HRM and love it...I may go that route? Does it have an alarm (I'm diabetic so sometimes I need to be reminded to take my morning meds/night insulin) and more than one alert/arlm can be set? but in the meantime i'll check out the HRM..;)

Let me know

Kelly