Would you pay $1100 cash for a gym-quality treadmill?

Options
I found the treadmill my gym uses (Life Fitness 9500) on Craigslist for $1300. The seller is willing to come down to $1100. I think it is a fair price for quality of the treadmill. They are being sold on eBay for $750-$2300, and refurbished with a warranty for $1995.

I want a commercial quality treadmill. I have bouught and sold two other treadmills for not being solid enough or wide enough. I have $940 in cash and would have to borrow the rest from my hubby. I know I am going to lay down some change for a good treadmill, but I am just not sure that I want to spend that much. I love this brand of treadmill and it would save me from going to the gym, but I can go to the gym for 3 years on that amount of money.

Can you help me list out the pros and cons of buying this? What do you think of the price he is asking?

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It sounds awfully high. I paid $300 for my elliptical machine.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I found the treadmill my gym uses (Life Fitness 9500) on Craigslist for $1300. The seller is willing to come down to $1100. I think it is a fair price for quality of the treadmill. They are being sold on eBay for $750-$2300, and refurbished with a warranty for $1995.

I want a commercial quality treadmill. I have bouught and sold two other treadmills for not being solid enough or wide enough. I have $940 in cash and would have to borrow the rest from my hubby. I know I am going to lay down some change for a good treadmill, but I am just not sure that I want to spend that much. I love this brand of treadmill and it would save me from going to the gym, but I can go to the gym for 3 years on that amount of money.

Can you help me list out the pros and cons of buying this? What do you think of the price he is asking?

why not run/jog/walk around your neighborhood for free?
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

why not run/jog/walk around your neighborhood for free?

Because I am a fair weather runner. I don't run in the snow, rain, wind or high heat. :) Plus, my long runs (10-17 miles) go better on a treadmill that controls my speed.
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If the treadmill is mint, then it may be a good value. Living in Illinois where this spring has been absolutely dreadful, I get the idea of exercising indoors. I don't know enough about what to look for to determine if it's a good price or not. Check e-bay too, as well as Second Wind. At least with Second Wind or that type of store, you may have some recourse if the motor fries in the first few minutes...Good luck!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a decent deal. I paid about $2300 for my new elliptical (gym quality). You get what you pay for. If it's what you want I say go for it. Be sure and find out how old it is, and there is a way in the settings to see how many miles have been put on it as well.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love this brand of treadmill and it would save me from going to the gym, but I can go to the gym for 3 years on that amount of money.

For a commercial quality machine it sounds like a reasonable price (provided that it is in good shape). Personally, I'd spend the money on the gym membership. Buying a treadmill gives you one form of exercise. A membership to a good gym will give you so many more choices for cardio and strength training.

Although, I also prefer to run outside, so if I was going to buy any home equipment right now it would be a barbell and bench.
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have your mind made up! :) If you have done your research and its a fair price, go for it. You wont be happy with another/different machine, and if you prefer to run/walk indoors, it sounds optimal to me. Have fun!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    well you asked us if we would pay for one ? I guess the answer is no.
    I prefer to walk outdoors for free. It also helps me managing stress.
    Good luck in your journey to health.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend that much on something that doesn't come with a warranty
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Go to sports authority you can get one for way less mine was only 900 or so and its fantastic has ifit and everything
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You'd have to pay me to run on that thing.

I run outside for free.
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got my treadmill at a thrift store for $20, it was by no means gym quality, but it worked just fine and got the job done. I try to run outside when I can- if you can afford it, then I'd get it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I got mine for $100..my friend had just bought it for his girlfriend 6 months earlier for $1200.. lucky for me they broke up.

No..I wouldn't pay that much..I'm also really cheap like that though.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    If the treadmill is your thing and you have that cash on you, do it. A lot of the answers you're getting are from people shopping out of their own wallet or people that don't like treadmills or prefer a gym. that's less than I paid for mine, sounds like a deal - you get what you pay for. I've had mine 6 years and have had zero problems. In that time my sister has gone through two treadmills from a sporting goods store that were about 500 each, sounds like you know what you want, snatch it up before someone else does!
  • Elizabeth360
    Elizabeth360 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd rather pay $40/month and get all the gym equipment, not have to store a treadmill, and not have to replace it in a few years. $1100 would pay for over 2 years of membership.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    Having been on both cheap and quality exercise equipment, a treadmill is the LAST thing I would go cheap on. Trust me, you WILL notice a difference!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would urge anyone thinking about buying a treadmill to try running outside, if the weather and location permits. However with allergy season I might have to start running at the gym
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,315 Member
    Options
    You need to buy a new one from a store that is totally reliable on its warranty. They go wrong, even the expensive ones. Life Fitness is a good brand, we have an elliptical and a recumbent cycle, but even they are beginning to knock a bit. Our cheaper brands were c××p, but the truly excellent shop gave us a full refund after 2 years.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have done your research on them, and have tried a few of them also. So you pretty much know what you want.
    If you do not have to go into debt to get it.....go for it.....

I can not always walk outside and the nearest gym is 20 miles away,hwy. I got myself a quality treadmill for home and love it.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Id personally also preffer the gym membership. I have that now for 40 pound a month and I take 2 classes a day and go to the gym it self a few times a week and I get swimming free aswell. This means I can do strength, conditioning, cardio and work on flexibility. Whilst when I had my treadmill (still have it) I maybe went on it 20 minutes every other day or whenever I could be bothered. BUT if the treadmill is all you would use for certain the next 3 years and you do not live in a good area to go running I guess its worth it for you, but you might want to research further to see if you can find something cheaper. We have one that was 100 pound and its very good :)