Is it ok to eat under 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• ahoyyy
    ahoyyy Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you laying in bed ALL day long? If not then it's horrible for your body to eat under 1,200 calories. Eat cleaner most calorie dense foods so you are reaching a healthy level.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Nope. You will plateau your butt off (trust me, I lost when I was eating 1600 and doing cardio, plateaued after 30 lbs, reduced to 900-1200 and doing cardio and the scale didn't budge. Now I'm eating 300 under my TDEE (approximately 1800 calories) and weight lifting and its falling back off. Look up "In place of a road map" or "eat more to weigh less".
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Nope. You will plateau your butt off (trust me, I lost when I was eating 1600 and doing cardio, plateaued after 30 lbs, reduced to 900-1200 and doing cardio and the scale didn't budge. Now I'm eating 300 under my TDEE (approximately 1800 calories) and weight lifting and its falling back off. Look up "In place of a road map" or "eat more to weigh less".

My "nope" was in response to the topic title, not to "should I change this?" lol
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of 99% of the time eating much less as i find 1200 too much for just one day

How on earth did you ever get overweight in the first place then If it's so hard for you to eat more than a small child does on a daily basis?
    First of all, how bloody rude.

Second of all, is this not supposed to be a lifestyle change not a diet? You can eat 1200 calories in one sitting at KFC. If you're eating low calorie, healthy foods then yes at first it will be a struggle to get to 1200. Snarky comments are not helpful.

Low calorie and healthy are not the same thing. Not all healthy foods are low calorie. Not all low calorie foods are healthy. The human body needs protein and fats to function properly. There's no way those two needs are being met on a 700-800 calorie per day diet.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I'm guilty of 99% of the time eating much less as i find 1200 too much for just one day

How on earth did you ever get overweight in the first place then If it's so hard for you to eat more than a small child does on a daily basis?

Second of all, is this not supposed to be a lifestyle change not a diet? You can eat 1200 calories in one sitting at KFC. If you're eating low calorie, healthy foods then yes at first it will be a struggle to get to 1200. Snarky comments are not helpful.

Low calorie and healthy are not the same thing. Not all healthy foods are low calorie. Not all low calorie foods are healthy. The human body needs protein and fats to function properly. There's no way those two needs are being met on a 700-800 calorie per day diet.

Its not rude, You need to hear it, I'm sorry but your not doing yourself any favours by eating well below 1200 calories.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    OP, just live up to your username. A medium sized sweet potato has around 300-350 calories, raw. Slice that baby up, coat it with some olive oil and salt, roast until crispy. Bam, 400-500 calories right there.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mkx3sfQMZg1qz4rgp.gif
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    I find that if I eat a large breakfast, I am hungry all day long. If I skip or eat a small breakfast, I don't eat much during the day then binge like a wolf that has not eaten in a month late @ night. In the past 20 + years I have lost 1,000 lbs and gained 1,081 lbs. I have lost 50 lbs in 30 days, only to slowly gain it all back in a few years. Being the eternal optomist though, I think this (MFP) is working. You are not alone, many of us share similar troubles. Someone has been through the same problems as you.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Your obvious problem with me amuses me no end....lol
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lq7xyzqQ6i1qkkck4o1_250.gif
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

My EXACT thought.....
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    No. Eat.

Second.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    no it isn't ok listen to the advice of the successful losers
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I AM HAVING THAT SAME PROBLEM TOO. I EAT LOW CALORIE FOODS THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND I AM LUCKY TO HIT 1,000.

I don't get it... If your on MFP I assume your overweight? Which means you had no problems eating well abovve 1200 cals before. Just open your mouth and put it in!!

Spoonful of peanut butter... extra beans on your toasts... its not hard.

Idk about the OP but before I came here I was eating A LOT of fast food, which is where the weight came from. I am sure you are not suggesting that OP go grab a thickburger from hardee's to make up for missing calories are you?

It may not be hard to you, but it probably is for the OP. They are probably thinking they have to do everything the site tells them. Then they visit the forums and there is just so much info here, it takes time to sift through it all and just plan it out. I know it did for me.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    *sigh*

My sentiment exactly.

In Place Of A Road Map 3.0. Look it up. Live it. Calories in < Calories out.

/thread
  • randoswife
    randoswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe that once in a while it won't hurt you, just do better the next day.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I AM HAVING THAT SAME PROBLEM TOO. I EAT LOW CALORIE FOODS THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND I AM LUCKY TO HIT 1,000.

I don't get it... If your on MFP I assume your overweight? Which means you had no problems eating well abovve 1200 cals before. Just open your mouth and put it in!!

Idk about the OP but before I came here I was eating A LOT of fast food, which is where the weight came from. I am sure you are not suggesting that OP go grab a thickburger from hardee's to make up for missing calories are you?

It may not be hard to you, but it probably is for the OP. They are probably thinking they have to do everything the site tells them. Then they visit the forums and there is just so much info here, it takes time to sift through it all and just plan it out. I know it did for me.

Actually, given the choice of under eating or a big Mac, I would suggest the burger... with fries and a coke. It .might lead to extra weight, but not an eating disorder.
  • beeboobear1
    Options
    Same problem here. Just add more raw fruits and veggies to your diet. You won't get more calories but you will atleast get plenty of vitamins or make sure your getting nutrition. Remember you are what you eat.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Actually, given the choice of under eating or a big Mac, I would suggest the burger... with fries and a coke. It .might lead to extra weight, but not an eating disorder.

Which completely defeats the purpose of the OP being on this site. "Yeah! go overeat again!" instead of teaching the OP ways to increase food intake by not resorting to what put the weight on in the first place.... -_- Not a good idea.

Also, overeating can be an eating disorder.