I love carbs but they dont love me!

Options
MonaRN81
MonaRN81 Posts: 20 Member
Hi everyone

What do you think the best bread is?? I did a low carb diet years ago and lost 70lbs. But I have a 4 month old and am breastfeeding so I need to take the weight loss slow and want to keep some healthy carbs in. I LOVE my toast with peanut butter in the morning. I am currently using Demptsers Body Wise white bread because it has the lower calories then the whole wheat. But it just seems unhealthy to me still.

Any suggestions on a healthier bread??? Dont say no bread! I want bread!

Replies

• Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You will probably get more replies if you posted in the low carb group. :)
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Read labels and educate yourself. Ezekiel makes some great breads, Trader Joe's has some good options as well. Look for "Whole" being before any grain.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Also Julian's Bakery makes some fairly tasty low carb bread and they mail to your home. They are based in CA.
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    Whole wheat bread is the way to go. Have you considered whole wheat pita bread as an alternative?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I love the Nature's Own WhiteWheat bread. It has lots of fiber, but the taste and texture of white bread. I very rarely eat bread anymore, but on the occasion that I do, this is the one I eat. I buy it for the rest of the family, who wouldn't dare touch whole wheat bread. They don't realize that it is a high fiber bread!
  • luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options
    where are u from? if you are from the UK i would strongly recommend buying the rye bread from lidl or e.g. the german style rye bread from sainsburys/tesco/asda

this may seem strange to you in the beginning, but this bread keeps you fuller for so much longer than white bread! :)
  • suey07
    suey07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life low carb bread! One slice is 5-6 carbs :)

http://www.healthylifebread.com/

I found mine at the local grocery store
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    We know that refined flours are less-healthy (for a variety of reasons) than whole-grains are, so if you're looking at the healthiest option in breads that would be "whole grain" ... (Note: "Whole Wheat" is almost NEVER really "Whole Grain" - there's a big difference.)

With that in mind your best bets (if you're going to eat bread, but want it healthy and lower in refined carbohydrate) would be sprouted-grain bread. Sprouted-grain bread is whole grain, made without flour. It's high fiber, low-glycemic (for bread, anyway) and full of nutrients naturally (instead of being "fortified", like most flour products - because refined flour has virtually no nutrients.)

Since you're in Ontario - check out Silver Hills Bakery sprouted-grain breads. http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/store-locator/ as they're available in your area. They're quite good.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bread is the way to go. Have you considered whole wheat pita bread as an alternative?

I am a bread lover and pita is the way to go girl!
  • MonaRN81
    MonaRN81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I got some good info here and some new breads to look at! :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I follow a low carb diet that doesnt include grains but my kids eat grains. I buy Ezekiel bread in the freezer section of Zehrs/Loblaws/RCSS and it's made from sprouted grains and seeds. It's very tasty and it's the best alternative to regular bread I've found.
  • highervibes
    Options

Since you're in Ontario - check out Silver Hills Bakery sprouted-grain breads. http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/store-locator/ as they're available in your area. They're quite good.

Costco sells this brand
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I only use natures own sugar free and prepperage farms whole wheat soft bun. The bun has only 17 carbs and I eat sandwiches on it. I've recently been obsessed with flatbreads. You get a lot out of a 20 carb sheet.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    QtWrgoc.gif
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try Ezekiel bread, especially the sesame. Great with PNB
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would echo the suggestion of sprouted grain bread.
    It has a really nice taste and texture too, so totally different from the usual mass produced store stuff.
  • sempifi99
    Options
    Any multi-grain bread will be the most healthy. A variety of 12 or more grains is best. Whole grain is good choice too. But multi-grain is better because the variety of grains have a greater diversity of vitamins and minerals and will be digested at different rates. This is important because it helps to level out the blood sugar spike associated with eating single grained bread. So multi-grain > whole grain > any other bread > no carbs.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    This is where I buy my Ezekiel bread - http://www.fatladybaker.com/ezekiel_bread.htm

The owner shows up at farmer's markets. It's so good and loaded with protein.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Any multi-grain bread will be the most healthy. A variety of 12 or more grains is best. Whole grain is good choice too. But multi-grain is better because the variety of grains have a greater diversity of vitamins and minerals and will be digested at different rates. This is important because it helps to level out the blood sugar spike associated with eating single grained bread. So multi-grain > whole grain > any other bread > no carbs.

I think you have that backwards

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/multigrain/AN02047