Starting over at 40 is... Surreal.

Options
And I *really do* mean starting over. Within the last 5 years...

* I got divorced under very nasty circumstances,
* I got diagnosed and treated for cancer while jobless and without medical insurance (not fun in the USA = lots of medical debt),
* My career pretty much self-destructed,
* I had to declare bankruptcy (the bad kind, with the 10 year timeframe) and foreclosure,
* I Lost about 80% of all of my personal/ material belongings, including most sentimental keepsakes from my childhood and family heirlooms,

As a consequence... I'm presently 40 and living with my parents, unemployed, 80-85 pounds overweight, heavily in debt, and otherwise alone.

Great catch, huh?! *chuckes to self*

As one might guess... I also have depression and sleep apnea (with the former possibly part of the root cause for the latter), among other things.

Yet "hope springs eternal", or so they say... And hence I am here, at Dr's suggestion.

The last time I dieted, I used Weightwatchers.Com. I was convinced that My 40+ pounds of weight loss was due to their site... Until my Dr told me it was most likely due to the cancer I was then-recently diagnosed with. Epic Fail (on my part - not WW's), I guess. :-(

I just began calorie-counting today. Here's to hoping that, this time... The weight loss is for other reasons... And that my 40's fare better than my 30's. :-)

(BTW, in case anyone's wondering... The username is My handle on Steam, an on-line store for purchasing/ playing video games for Macs and PCs (yes, I'm a gamer - another reason I'm 80 pounds overweight. I need to get out more often...). So that's my "gamer-tag"/ "gamer alias". Feel free to message/ friend me there or here, if desired.)

Replies

• HelstonSonia
    Options
    Hey there. Wow - you've been through a lot. I can't begin to comprehend the scale of all that and how it must feel, so I'm not going to try. All I'll say is take 1 step at a time, and be positive - you CAN achieve the weight loss, and that in itself will give you a sense of being in control again.

Stay positive, tiny steps, and believe that you can get there.

We're all here for you to lean on if you need it as well.

Take care. xx
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Look how far you've come and what all you have already conquered !
    You can do this !!
    YOu are a strong person whether you realize it or not :)

Glad you joined and you will find friendly and caring people here, with loads of fun and educational info to help you along !

Have a great day !
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up brother! You really can start over at 40. I found myself unemployed at 40 and I was 30 lbs overweight so not as heavy but in need of taking a good long look at my health and long term well being. I play a little PS3 myself and that includes PS3 Move games which have definitely helped me to drop a few more pounds. Add me brah! There are many of us (40's and starting over) among you and you can get back on track.
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have had a few rough years....but you've come out on the other end of it probably stronger than you were before. And I'm sure you found out things about yourself that you never knew.

Welcome to MFP. It's a great site. If you need any friends, feel free to add me. I'm on here pretty much every day and try to cheer on my friends as best as possible....all I ask is for the same in return.

Best of luck and success as you move forward on your journey!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I was 42 when diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. Sucks huh. Also ended a long term relationship. But here I am....working on the same goal to lose some weight. If you can beat cancer...you can beat this. You are stronger than you are giving yourself credit for!!! It will get better!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You beat cancer. You can do anything. It's one day at a time. Good luck to you.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Well, there's nowhere to go but up... (or down in the case of your weight!)

I haven't been through everything that you have, but I have been through a lot in the last few years, and you will be amazed how fast you can turn it all around when you start to feel better about yourself. Take baby steps, try to get exercise EVERY day, and celebrate every success. There are lots of cancer survivors on this board as well... find a great support system an make it work for you. Good luck!
  • RobberLittleB
    Options
    Let me add my voice to the chorus of welcomes! I'm excited to have you with us and look forward to lots of mutual support as we all work toward our goals.