EVERY time I microwave oatmeal it explodes!

Options
How do you cook it, specifically? I'm new to cooking oats, not the instant packets, I don't really want to use the stove. So how do you microwave your oats, power level, length, stirring in the middle, do you watch it the whole time? Mine always overflows, even when I've tried a bowl twice the size!

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Do you add any salt to it? I find that if I add a pinch of salt, it keeps it from overflowing.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do 2 minutes with a 1/2 serving of old fashioned oats and it doesn't overflow. My microwave power level is set at 10.
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    http://www.flahavans.ie/index.php/site-structure/main-menu/our-products/porridge-oats/convenience/flahavans-quick-oats-drum-500g/385

I use a really shallow largeish bowl and the oats above, lash it in the microwave for two minutes with one of those silicone covers and it's always grand!
    Are you covering it with anything?
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Try this 1/2 cup of dry Oats, 1 cup of water. Put into cereal bowl, set Microwave for 1:26. Comes out perfect every time for me.
  • Lexandrea
    Lexandrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do 30 seconds for three times. each time in between i give it a mix. but i do mine on the stove first and then heat it up more. i like my hot oats to stay hot till im finishes eating them unless i do my refrigerator oatmeal. (display pic)
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    Use a bigger bowl.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I hate cooked oatmeal.

I flash boil mine.

Bowl of water in microwave for 3-4 minutes, rolling boil hot.

Remove from microwave.

Toss 1/2 cup of those rolled steel-cut oats into the boiling hot water.

Add protein powder serving.

Add sugar/sugar substitute.

Add nuts.

Add 1/2 cup of milk.

A little butter substitute.

Eat. Like a boss.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Do you have a teapot? If so just make the water til it whistles and pour about 1/2 cup on the oats and let it sit a min or so
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It's about getting the time and measurements right.

50g oats (half a cup) with 270ml milk of water or milk (one full cup)

Work from there. Also note the temperature. Milk will be colder normal water and will take longer to cook, unless you are using ice cold water.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I cook proper oats with water in the microwave for 2 mins 10 seconds. Any more than that and it explodes.

My microwave is 700w
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal but my kids love it.

I pour the oatmeal in a bowl, add milk, mix, then microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until I see it starting to bubble up. I remove from the microwave, mix it up, add some more milk, then serve. If it looks like it still has raw oats in it, I'll give it another 15 seconds or so. Sometimes I add banana or blueberries (only the older one likes blueberries) - I just stick them on top after cooking.

(and to the people who freak out about microwaves (aka deathboxes in some circles): Yes I stand there and watch it through the microwave glass. No I don't care about radiation, it's only microwaves. They haven't managed to cook my eyeballs yet)
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    i mix together a mashed banana, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp milled flaxseed, and 1/4 cup oatmeal with 3/4 cup almond milk. i actually follow the pkg directions on microwave cooking. i also keep watch so it doesn't overflow. the instant is 2 mins, the scottish oatmeal is 3-5 mins (my microwave is 3 mins) then cover for 2 mins, and i can't remember the steel cut length of time, but it can be maybe 5 mins.
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    another option is to find a good slow cooker recipe and throw it all together the night before. it'll be done by morning. and the house will smell great!
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    mine's perfect every time. 40g quaker oats. 200mls skimmed milk. sweetener to taste. 1 min full power microwave ( 1000w ) stir. 30 secs,stir. 20 secs ,stir. hope this helps. :happy:
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use Roger's Porridge oats and use a deep bowl - it almost spills over but not quite! :-)
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yea cooked oatmeal is so pasty and gross. Boil the water first then add it to your oatmeal until you get the desired consistency! I just boil a cup of water in the microwave for a few mins.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats:

1/2 cup quick oats
    1 cup milk of choice (I've used dairy, soy, almond and all work - sweetened almond milk is the tastiest, but contains sugar, so.. yeah)
    1 tbsp chia seeds (optional, but lovely fibre and essential fatty acids)

Place all in a container overnight. In the morning this just needs to be heated through (takes 1m30s in my microwave in my classroom), and will never once explode. You can also eat these without heating and they're incredibly delicious - perfect for summer when you're craving oats without the heat.

If you want to make oats without soaking overnight, use this same recipe, but use a very deep container so it will bubble up but not over.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i always use rolled/old fashioned oats.
    if i cook it with milk, it overflows much faster, i cook it with water and add the milk after it's done cooking.
    or you could just cook it with a plate under it, in case any spills over.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    How do you cook it, specifically? I'm new to cooking oats, not the instant packets, I don't really want to use the stove. So how do you microwave your oats, power level, length, stirring in the middle, do you watch it the whole time? Mine always overflows, even when I've tried a bowl twice the size!

Hey OP!

I have a similar problem.

Anyway you could type out the instructions for me this way I can read them and enjoy some oats?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

5 minutes 50% power. I have never had it explode doing this. I put it in, walk away and come back when it beeps. No issues.