Protein powder and kids?

Options
CariS001
CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
OK... so, I make lots of recipes with protein powder. I need all the help I can get to get the protein up :P So many of the recipes are really great healthy alternatives to things my girls love (they are 5 and 7). Is it ok to let them eat these high protein items??

I was told at one point that you should allow children protein bars. So, I've never let them have protein bars or protein powder.

They get very little protein though, as neither eat much meat (if any).

Thoughts??

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My step son loves. My protein shakes and occasionally has one. Don't see why it would be harmful. I'm interested to see what other think about this.

Zara
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It depends what they've added to it. Some of them have added vitamins and minerals which are higher than the recommended amounts for children, including some that are toxic in excess, e.g. iron, vitamin A. AFAIK this is why they say not suitable for pregnancy, breastfeeding or for children. (babies, children and especially unborn babies are more vulnerable to vitamin/mineral toxicity, i.e. they'd get it at lower doses)

If it's pure whey isolate without other stuff added, and it's part of a recipe (as opposed to feeding them the actual shakes) I can't see what would be harmful about it BUT check with a paediatrician, because there may be some not so obvious danger from it that I don't know about.

Personally, I don't give protein powder containing foods to my kids, to be on the safe side, and because it's expensive and they get enough protein from real food so don't need it. I do make them non-protein powder versions of my protein powder foods though, e.g. frozen fruit smoothie without the added protein powder.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old got into one of my protein bars and ate 1/2 of it b4 I knew it. The only thing I noticed is a really nasty poo. But I think that may be a sign that it is not ok for him yet.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    it says on the tub of the one i buy NOT to give it to kids.
    i'll be playing it safe and assuming they don't say that for fun.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If it's pure protein, I doubt if there's any reason to worry about a child eating it. That said, it's very easy for a child to get enough protein via real food and real food >>>>>>>supplements.
  • HeaDak3
    HeaDak3 Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't think supplements would be bad! My mom use to bring protein treats from her gym back in the day and I came out just fine! Maybe a little hyper but I'm a good kid!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i think its fine. just monitor/adjust the amount served.