wasting calories to be polite

Due to family issues I arrived at a friend's 60th birthday really late and missed the beige food luckily. I ate the cake to be polite and did not enjoy it. Then took the taste away with a slice of cucumber pickle LOL.Why after all these months did I feel obliged to eat it? After all one slice of cake will not cause me any problems as it is such a rare event.

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Food=Fuel, do not ever feel guilty about eatting anything. I would not want to live in a world that i could not have a treat at a party. You said it yourself that you do not do it very often. If it fits your calories then enjoy it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    It's kind of tradition to share cake at a birthday party. There is nothing wrong with having a slice. It's a shame that it wasn't a nice cake, though.
  • Same here! My birthday is today and my daughter baked me and the family some cupcakes. She put so much energy that I could not say "no" but what really touched my heart is that she knows that I am working hard to achieve my goals so she bakes regular cupcakes for everybody but she used the mini-cupcake pan for me. :-) This way, I don't feel too bad. Since this is a rare occurrence, I try not to feel bad as I know it is in moderation and I have to remind myself that a cheat treat is not falling off the wagon but making me stronger in my goal planning while enjoying a special treat with family.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,336 Member
    It's kind of tradition to share cake at a birthday party. There is nothing wrong with having a slice. It's a shame that it wasn't a nice cake, though.
    yes you are quite right a tradition is probably why I took it shame it was not fruit cake or lemon drizzle-even victoria sandwich- chocolate cake is not my thing
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,336 Member
    Steph That is the sweetest thing-happy birthday to you!
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Same here! My birthday is today and my daughter baked me and the family some cupcakes. She put so much energy that I could not say "no" but what really touched my heart is that she knows that I am working hard to achieve my goals so she bakes regular cupcakes for everybody but she used the mini-cupcake pan for me. :-) This way, I don't feel too bad. Since this is a rare occurrence, I try not to feel bad as I know it is in moderation and I have to remind myself that a cheat treat is not falling off the wagon but making me stronger in my goal planning while enjoying a special treat with family.

awww that was the most sweetest thing ever!!!!! :flowerforyou: you're daughter is to cute!!!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Birthday Cake has no calories. That's fact.
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Due to family issues I arrived at a friend's 60th birthday really late and missed the beige food luckily. I ate the cake to be polite and did not enjoy it. Then took the taste away with a slice of cucumber pickle LOL.Why after all these months did I feel obliged to eat it? After all one slice of cake will not cause me any problems as it is such a rare event.

I wouldn't worry about it.. you deserve to have a slice of cake (and eat it to) lol...
    I have the same problem, I will go months without eating something and then when I do eat it again, I do not enjoy it... like as if it doesn't taste as good as I remembered or something.. I don't know myabe I'm just weird :tongue:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way... I eat it too, but I usually try to get a small piece, and I don't eat most of the frosting.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Watch and learn! (I loved this show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBm2ihMj1rk

I am NOT suggesting this be done regularly! Cassie has an ED but forward to 1:00 to see how to politely not eat :bigsmile:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member

I wanna come live with you, where ever that place where Cake has no calories! Sounds magical.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    i definitely hate wasting calories when it doesn't taste nice!

but i know what you mean - people often bring snacks into work like when they're back from holiday and you feel obliged to try them or they'll get offended!
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Be careful not to obsess over calories and treats etc... It leads to feeling deprived, unhealthy eating habits, and unhealthy thought process. Trust me.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    I don't like most cake. I never have. So, I am lucky most of my family knows this so they wouldn't think it's weird that I didn't want it and they wouldn't be oh right she's on a diet. Then they would offer me a slice of pie.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    In my husbands family it is an insult to refuse their food. I often find myself apologiziing, saying i already ate... Etc.. They never have veggies or whole grains, or even LEAN protein options. It stinks but i feel crappy when i eat too much salt and fat.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    I had a hello kitty cupcake at a birthday party yesterday to be polite. I did not enjoy it, yet I wanted more....,
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member

Does it have to me "my" birthday for the cake to have zero calories? Or does anyone's birthday count?
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way... I eat it too, but I usually try to get a small piece, and I don't eat most of the frosting.

Same here. The last time I had cake I left most the frosting. As long as you continue to workout and eat better otherwise go ahead and have a piece - of GOOD cake.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member

I wanna come live with you, where ever that place where Cake has no calories! Sounds magical.

Last one there is a rotten egg!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Watch and learn! (I loved this show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBm2ihMj1rk

I am NOT suggesting this be done regularly! Cassie has an ED but forward to 1:00 to see how to politely not eat :bigsmile:

Funny and strange all at once. This takes some training to master..