did tdee -20% work for you?

Options
Just wanted some input I am thinking about trying it. It says I should eat 1900 cals a day. I have been eating an average of 1200-1500 a day for at least 2 months. I lost awhooping 1.5 lbs during that time and that wasn't until I had a week where I was on the end of that cal spectrum and it took wks to loose that. So I am thinking my metabolism is messed up if I can only eat 1200 or less a day + 1hr of exercise 5-6 days a week and it takes me that long to lose that amount of weight. For your info I am 25, female, 166lbs, 5'2". Exercise 5days a week for about an hr a day.

Replies

• blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I recently incorporated the tdee - 20% after what felt like a plateau. It helped move thingc along. It basically equals what mfp gives me plus eating my exercise calories. Try it
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    YES. I hit a major plateau (like 6 months) after I lost the first 30 (started at 240). Now I'm eating 1800 and losing again!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    YES. I hit a major plateau (like 6 months) after I lost the first 30 (started at 240). Now I'm eating 1800 and losing again!

Awesome, did it take you awhile to start losing after upping your calories or did you gain weight at first?
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether to try TDEE or not, my activity level changes dramatically according to where I'm placed for work - if I'm at home, I will work out 5-6 times a week, but if I'm on placement I am literally sedentary - I plonk myself on the train for 2.5 hours, sit at a desk 10-5 and then plonk myself back on the train, so there is a big difference in activity level!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether to try TDEE or not, my activity level changes dramatically according to where I'm placed for work - if I'm at home, I will work out 5-6 times a week, but if I'm on placement I am literally sedentary - I plonk myself on the train for 2.5 hours, sit at a desk 10-5 and then plonk myself back on the train, so there is a big difference in activity level!

I used sedentary as the activity level and eat my exercise calories back - that seems to compensate for my fluctuating work out schedules.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Yep it's what I use to do a slow cut. It works for me. It's not super fast but I don't stick to it religiously so thats why I'm not smaller!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    So far so good. Down nearly 30 pounds. I did slow down these last couple months a little bit, added in some more workouts (for the last 3 days) and that seems to have encouraged the scale to move a bit more again! Doing 30 Day Shred at the moment.
    My TDEE -20% is about 1800 a day. Which is 12,600 calories a week.
    I eat 1500 Monday to Friday so I can eat 1800-2200-2500 on the weekends and still stay within 12,600 calories for the week!
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am at TDEE-10% now because I am close to goal and still losing.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I like that plan Mystic! That sounds about where I should be...TDEE - 20% is right around 1800 and I do like having higher calorie days on the weekend. It sounds like the weekly goal is the way to go!
  • amiaow
    amiaow Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes it works. My TDEE on the calculator is 2500 and I'm eating 2000-2100 and losing faster than expected for that deficit. I always suspected my TDEE was a little higher than the calculator suggested but work a desk job so I just use the moderate activity multiplier.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • adeleinex
    adeleinex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Worked for me since I started it last week. Hopefully it'll continue working :D
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @anna_louise90
    Is it weird that I can identify a headless Jillian Michaels by her body alone? I saw your profile pic and thought "say... she looks familiar" lol
  • eejayess
    eejayess Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @anna_louise90
    Is it weird that I can identify a headless Jillian Michaels by her body alone? I saw your profile pic and thought "say... she looks familiar" lol

Hahaha that is definitely a useful skill to have! One to put on your CV ;) I don't think its too weird if you've been doing her workouts though!