Coffee Debate!

Options
Okay, so there's always a big debate about coffee. Some diets recommend it, others say, you must stay away.

I am from South Africa, and I know our instant coffee are some of the best in the world. But I'm concerned though, because I drink a lot of coffee... and I want to get some opinions, and if someone maybe have some reliable info, about how much coffee you can drink per day.

Some diets say 2 cups per day is okay... but, I mean, everyone makes their coffee different.

I drink like 4-6 cups a day... Is that okay? Because this is how I make my coffee

1 spoon of instant coffee (5ml spoon)
A little bit of 2% milk
And, no sugar!

Any opinions, and advice?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Caffeine naturally dehydrates you, so if you are drinking that much coffee you should add an additional glass of water per each cup of coffee. So if you drank 5 cups of coffee one day, your water intake should be 13 (8+5) instead of the 8 recommended on MFP.
  • DeidreDup
    DeidreDup Posts: 15
    Options
    Really? Cause I drink way more than the recommended water amount anyway, cause I'm like addicted to water! And, although I can't really add the coffee under my calorie count... I add a cup of milk to it... cause that's about the total amount of milk I get from coffee.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna give up my coffee any time soon. Most of the info that I've read seems to say about 2 cups a day is fine and might even be beneficial. I've even had a nutrition professor tell me that nothing has ever shown any harm in getting up to about 300 mg of caffeine while pregnant! Not that I am pregnant, I was just surprised by that given how many pregnant friends I have who totally abstain from the coffee they love. I guess better safe than sorry.

A lot of the problem does come in the additions you might make. Sugar and cream/milk can add up quickly. Luckily, you don't add sugar. I would take the time to actually measure the milk you add. I also thought I was only adding "a splash" but it really ended up being about 1/4 a cup of skim milk to each mug. So, if I have a lot of cups of coffee, that can add up to some real calories.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Geez, I think that would be fine. I always thought it was the stuff people put into that makes it a negative but doesnt seem like you are putting much of anything in...
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hey there :flowerforyou:

I've always loved coffee so never changed that gotta keep something lol :wink:

I have Maxwell House (instant) about a 1.5 tsp full
    Skimmed Fatfree Milk
    No sugar

2 cals a mug :bigsmile:

I have about the same as you 4 - 6 mugs a day and it hasn't stopped me losing any weight :drinker:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up coffee. I still have 2 cups in the morning. On the morning that I don't have coffee I am walking dead by the afternoon. I do make sure that I still drink plenty of water still.
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    Caffeine causes some people (like me!) to crave sweets. That's one reason some diets, especially low carb high protein diets, say to steer clear.
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    I just did a quick online search to make sure I was giving you the right information. From what I understand, coffee can trigger an insulin reaction in some people, even though it doesn't have any sugar. This is what causes the sweets cravings and it can stall weight loss.

Which is crazy because other things I have read say that a cup of coffee can boost your metabolism. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

So, I suppose now my VERY non-expert opinon is to see how coffee effects you. If it doesn't make you crave sweets, then I would guess that it's not causing you to have an insulin reaction and will help you weight loss rather than hurt it.

Again, I'm totally unqualified to give you any advice on this lol
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick online search to make sure I was giving you the right information. From what I understand, coffee can trigger an insulin reaction in some people, even though it doesn't have any sugar. This is what causes the sweets cravings and it can stall weight loss.

Which is crazy because other things I have read say that a cup of coffee can boost your metabolism. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Caffeine does boost your metabolism and the sugar. Not crazy thinking really...if your body is burning more easily, it'll break down sugars more quickly dumping them into the blood stream quicker. Hence, the blood sugar spike. Dump of sugar in your blood means insulin response to get it into cells, blood sugar drops suddenly, and you are hungry. :)

The data I've seen about the health benefits of coffee/tea are independent of the caffeine content (as in it's the antioxidants in them). As with most things, moderation is key. Excess isn't good for several reasons, but a little bit is fine. I personally can't handle much more than a cup (~100mg caffeine), otherwise I run in circles.

On a side note, I don't know what the caffeine difference is between instant versus fresh brewed, if there is any breakdown of the caffeine in the processing to dehyrdate it...
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    The reaction does vary from person to person. If I drink even a little caffeine (think a cup of tea or half a cup of coffee) I feel SO hungry--but I have many friends who drink coffee because they say that the caffeine suppresses their appetites.

I would say, if you're not having any adverse effects from the caffeine (jitters, etc), and you're not accounting for the calories in the milk, there's no reason to cut back unless you want to for other reasons.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Do not think that what you are doing is bad. But then again, I drink about 3-4 cups per day. Every now and again I switch to decaf for a while, or green tea. Just to keep a nice variety and prevent dependency.

The dehydration part is getting contraversial though. I still recommend adding 3 cups of water per cup of coffee throughout the day. That is what we were taught is school for the benefit of the skin. I can say, personally, it does dehydrate the skin, and the extra water helps ALOT. However, that recommendation was from the Mayo clinc who now says that coffee is not dehydrating. Most natural practitioners still stick to the adding water to compensate for the dehydration, because it IS noticable in the skin. I see it in myself as well as clients and family members. But I'm not the Mayo clinic, lol. To each his own I guess.

Sounds to me like you've got that covered, though. I think your ok. But if you are still concerned, try switching it up every now and again, like I do. I love my coffee, no doubt. But I also like the variety of changing it up sometimes.

Hope that helps some.
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Skimmed Fatfree Milk
    No sugar

I have about the same as you 4 - 6 mugs a day and it hasn't stopped me losing any weight :drinker:

I'm assuming when you say "2 cals a mug" you are only referring to the Maxwell House and counting the milk separately because for the milk to be only 2 calories it would have to be a minuscule amount (like, 1/50th of a cup). :happy:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Caffeinated coffee is STILL a water-based liquid. The myths about "you need to drink X cups of water to offset your caffeine intake" are BS.

Coffee is a natural diuretic and can trigger peristalsis (i.e. the need to poop). So if you're having issues in the going to the bathroom area, coffee will probably help you out.

I drink about 16 ounces everyday and have been doing so since age 10. Yes. Age 10.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 cups a day, though I now brew half decaf/half regular. And I measure out a certain amount of almond milk everyday. Sometimes I get through it in one day, sometimes not. But it keeps me honest about how much I'm really consuming.:drinker:
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    After quitting coffee for about 5 months, I am back on the wagon (or off it, not sure which term is best :laugh: ). I have two cups of fresh brewed per day, with either coconut or soy creamer (or soy milk). I quite because I have an anxiety disorder, and found that it was triggering. I have cut down from 5 cups to 2, and I feel great, not anxiety at all!! I drink a ton of water anyway, so that is a non issue for me. I couldn't live without coffee :love:
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    quite=quit...sorry I hate typos :smile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Caffeinated coffee is STILL a water-based liquid. The myths about "you need to drink X cups of water to offset your caffeine intake" are BS.

Coffee is a natural diuretic and can trigger peristalsis (i.e. the need to poop). So if you're having issues in the going to the bathroom area, coffee will probably help you out.

I drink about 16 ounces everyday and have been doing so since age 10. Yes. Age 10.

I understand that this has been changed. However, dehydration is still evident in the skin. Most people don't notice, nor do they care. But if someone does care about wrinkles, and all that vanity, drinking extra water helps tremendously. But again, I'm only speaking from experience and professional training. I am not a dermatologist, just an esthetician with medical training. The mayo clinic no longer recommends extra water for coffee, but they do for alcohol. They also aren't considering the dermalogical effects in the study that I read. I strongly agree with the health benefits of coffee in moderation, but I also love looking 20 at 30. Theres nothing better for a turning 30 crisis than to get carded and considered as having a fake ID:laugh: :wink: :tongue: But really, from the dermalogical perspective, extra water is the best medicine, without going in excess of course. Only half your body weight in ounces.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Skimmed Fatfree Milk
    No sugar

I'm assuming when you say "2 cals a mug" you are only referring to the Maxwell House and counting the milk separately because for the milk to be only 2 calories it would have to be a minuscule amount (like, 1/50th of a cup). :happy:

It works out at about 5 ml milk per coffee and yes I am counting them separately :wink: Coffee is no cals so is water so even tho I log them only the milk is 2 cals :bigsmile: I calculate the milk used for each mug I drink :wink:

Maxwell House - Rich Instant Coffee, 1.5 teaspoon 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
    Avonmore - Skimline Milk Fat Free, 5 ml 2 0 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Skimmed Fatfree Milk
    No sugar

It works out at about 5 ml milk per coffee and yes I am counting them separately :wink: Coffee is no cals so is water so even tho I log them only the milk is 2 cals :bigsmile: I calculate the milk used for each mug I drink :wink:

Maxwell House - Rich Instant Coffee, 1.5 teaspoon 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
    Avonmore - Skimline Milk Fat Free, 5 ml 2 0 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete

Oh wow. That's a teeny tiny bit of milk! I don't even think I would notice whether it was there or not. I like mine a LOT milkier than that. In fact, the main reason I don't drink as much coffee as I would like is the calories in the milk, not the coffee itself. :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    quite=quit...sorry I hate typos :smile:

Hi Irish,

Did you ever notice that for about 20 minutes after you do a post, there is a button next to quote and reply at the bottom of your post that says edit? When you click it, you can go in and correct errors. Very handy. This button disappears about 20 minutes or so after your original post is submitted, and I understand it will disappear sooner if you do another post on the same or another thread, but I have never checked that point out.

Regarding coffee. I am very caffeine-sensitive, so I only drink decaf. How sensitive? I went to Starbucks at 10 one morning and ordered a DECAF. They were very busy and I noticed that the person I ordered from was not the one who filled my order. At at 8 that evening, I was much more wide awake than usual. Ended up not getting to sleep until 4 am the next morning.:noway: Obviously, didn't get served decaf!!!:grumble:

I love my coffee with milk--or half and half if I am being especially decadent--and I gotta have my sweetener. This poses a problem as I have also discovered that using artificial sweetener triggers carb and sugar cravings. I discovered a solution by accident. I found caramel-flavored decaf coffee at my local grocery in the grind your own bean area. I can actually drink this without any sweetener, and just a splash of milk.

As far as coffee helping you "go"--I think it has something to do with the grounds in brewed coffee, rather than using instant. I used to have one of the metallic coffee filters that you are supposed to be able to use instead of paper filters. Quickly found that using it had an unpleasant side effect, if ya know what I mean:blushing: So I went back to the paper filters and had no more problems.:blushing:

'Scuse me. All this coffee talk has made me want to head for Starbucks!!:laugh: