You would keep the money, right?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
OK, before I start, let;s say that I take pride in being honest when it comes to money. I would even return 25 cents if I knew I got that back and it was too much.

I'll make this as brief as I can. We bought a kitchen sink at Home Depot as part of a kitchen remodel. The sink was $341 after a SMALL discount, and it was part of a $9000 kitchen upgrade of granite counter tops, a new faucet, and some odds and ends. About $7000 of that money went to Home Depot.

Well, the sink arrived and it was cracked, so it had to be returned. It was special order, so we have to wait to get a new one. Anyway, the customer service guy was trying to refund us $182 more than it cost. I told him that it was not correct, and he said he couldn't figure out why, and that I should take the money. I wouldn't take the money. So, he called a manager over and she couldn't find out why it was giving us back the extra $182, but she went ahead and issued a store credit on a card for $182 more than we paid.

When I told her that is what she did, she said,, "I know, but I don't have time to figure this out, so just keep the extra." I did keep the extra, and even used $55 of the $182 store card. But it doesn't feel right, knowing that the money really shouldn't be mine..... and, I bet, that at some point, SOMEONE will figure this out, and they will want the $182 back - which I don't mind, but I will mind the inconvenience that I think will be forthcoming.

Would you keep the money?

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I would keep it. But, I would probably feel bad for a week or so. But, since it's a store credit, I don't think they are losing anything IMO.
  • michelleelsehsah
    michelleelsehsah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It probably wouldn't feel right to me either. What about donating the card to Habitat for Humanity or to a MFP?? *hint, hint* :)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Two people insisted on you taking it, one of them being the manager. If it ever escalated, it isn't your fault anymore. If you feel bad, then contact Home Depot's 800 number and speak to higher ups.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keep it. Since it was put on a gift card you're going to spend it there anyway. Maybe the sink went on clearance or something.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I would be in a quandry about this also. The only other thing I could think of would be to offer it back to the store manager. The problem with this is that it might get the employee in trouble. However, if they don't have the authority to have given the extra credit, the company has a right to know what's happening. On the other hand, you may find that it is just their business practice to handle things this way, and then you could use it in good conscience. If I couldn't come to a place where I felt it was morally right, I just wouldn't use the card. HD would have to keep it as a liability on their balance sheet for a few years, then when it's not used, they can take it off their books.
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    I think you did everything in your power to return the money and point out the mistake. If its going to make you feel guilty to keep it donate the card to a homeless shelter or somewhere. Maybe they can buy sleeping bags or a table or something.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think you did everything in your power to return the money and point out the mistake. If its going to make you feel guilty to keep it donate the card to a homeless shelter or somewhere. Maybe they can buy sleeping bags or a table or something.

I don't think he felt TOO guilty. He said he already used some of the money. ;)

Edit for gender :)
  • motown13
    Options
    Well, I am a HE.... and I do feel guilty, but I feel like I did my part.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, they're hardly losing anything in terms of profit.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You did the honest thing. You told them. So go ahead and spend the money. A similar thing happened to me. We had a battery go bad that only had a couple months of prorated warranty left. We were supposed to only get like $15 back, but after two employees spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to make it work with the computer, they just refunded the entire purchase price.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    How much was the small discount? Is it possible they didn't take that into account?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would not. And if they continued to insist I would just pass it on to someone who really needed it.
  • Scorcherpants
    Options
    Don't worry about it, it's the managers job to sort it out which is exactly what they did. They will not be coming to you for the over payment because the manager has the authority to do the refund and give store credit. The store allows for some refunds and problems and considering what they take daily this won't be much of a loss for them. See it as compensation for the inconvenience of the cracked sink. I would feel the same way but my Farther was a general store manager for many years and I learnt a lot from him. You have done all you can by trying to give it back. The manager has the authority to sort it out and did in their opinion sort it out so forget it and stop worrying ;-)
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would keep the money! You shouldn't worry yourself over it, as long as they told you it was ok to keep it, then what's the problem?
    Even if they do figure it out, they are not going to contact you and ask for it back! They have losses built into their budgets or whatever you call it, anyway!!

So keep it and stop worrying about it!!!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    You did the honest thing and brought it to their attention multiple times. I would go ahead and spend it. Other than give the gift card/store credit away, how else could you have handled it when the manager refused to assist you with sorting it out?
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If it were credited back to your charge card, or something like that, I'd say keep it. You tried and failed to convince them. If it were cash, pass it on to a charity. In both those cases, it would be a lot of hassle to try to give it back.

But... It's a store card, and it's not money you should have gotten. Cut up the card. You have not taken something that isn't yours. No conscience problems.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    If it were credited back to your charge card, or something like that, I'd say keep it. You tried and failed to convince them. If it were cash, pass it on to a charity. In both those cases, it would be a lot of hassle to try to give it back.

But... It's a store card, and it's not money you should have gotten. Cut up the card. You have not taken something that isn't yours. No conscience problems.

I love the idea of giving it to charity. I am sure Habitat for Humanity would be very grateful to receive it.
  • katellanova
    katellanova Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Store credit so they are getting it back anyway...
  • motown13
    Options
    How much was the small discount? Is it possible they didn't take that into account?

10% off. so about $35.