Shin Splints...help?!

I feel like everytime I start running I get shin splints really bad. I have been trying to walk more to help them go away, but everytime I push myself they come back. Does anyone else struggle with this? i'm 5'3 and 235lbs. I wasn't sure if maybe it had to do with my weight. Anyone have any advice on how to help them go away? I ice them when i'm done working out.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Me too :(
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    I feel like everytime I start running I get shin splints really bad. I have been trying to walk more to help them go away, but everytime I push myself they come back. Does anyone else struggle with this? i'm 5'3 and 235lbs. I wasn't sure if maybe it had to do with my weight. Anyone have any advice on how to help them go away? I ice them when i'm done working out.

Go to a good running store and get yourself fitted for some proper running shoes. It's going to be an investment, but it'll be worth it. Shin splints are very commonly caused by wearing the wrong type of shoes.
  • kimcatus
    kimcatus Posts: 27

Go to a good running store and get yourself fitted for some proper running shoes. It's going to be an investment, but it'll be worth it. Shin splints are very commonly caused by wearing the wrong type of shoes.

^This!

And for me, it seemed like my body just had to get used to activity....once I started running regularly they went away. I know that's not always the case for everyone, but maybe once you make sure you have the right shoes for your running style, that will be the case for you.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Have you had you feet measured for proper fitting shoes? Go to a running store and have em take a look. It could change your whole world.

lol seems, I need to read all the replies first.
  • TheFutureMrsClark
    TheFutureMrsClark Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks everyone. We have a specialty store not too far from here... looks like if they don't go away i'll be checking that out.
  • I'm around the same weight and height as you, and i also get them while i run. and i think a part of it is because i weigh a lot. I work out a lot too, but i ONLY get them when i run. im gonna take a break from running for about a month, partly because i dont enjoy running anyway, and i just bought new NIKE running shoes. so, im not considering getting new ones right now.
    ill stick to other exercises for now, and in a month or a little longer ill try running again, and if is still bad, ill get fitted for running shoes.
    In the meantime, i suggest you still workout, but stay away from running until the pain is gone. if you keep running you'll make the pain worse. if you have a pool near you start swimming. do activities that give you a good sweat, but dont put a lot of pressure on your joints-like running does.
  • acbabbitt
    acbabbitt Posts: 50
    I agree with the proper shoe/proper fit. This can make a world of difference.

And, not all shin pain is shin splits. It depends on where your pain is located.

Also: I have ankles that roll in (like fallen arches/flat feet). See this: http://www.pedikom.com/httpdocs/symptomsPronation.php

Orthotics - even over-the-counter ones - make running much more comfortable.

Good luck!
  • paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Me! I was doing pretty good but now every time I run more than 25-30 mins I pay for it for DAYS. I have the good shoes, got specialty orthotics from the podiatrist, I ice my shins, take advil religiously- Still have to take 2-3 days off after every run.

What has seemed to help me deal with the pain and recover quicker is shin wraps- I got a pair of Sure Sport Shin wraps- I can manage, but I am anxious to get through this part. Walking afterwards also helps. I really actually enjoy running, but I seem to be doing more recovering than Running.

for what it's worth- I'm also a big girl- about 189 and very out of shape. I'm hoping that all this will improve once I build some strength and tone up.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    From my understanding, shin splints happens when the impact/pressure is too much on the shin while running.
    I learnt a few ways to help reduce the impact.
    - Like everyone said, a pair of good shoes that fit you.
    - Land on mid foot instead of heel (better running form to reduce impact)
    - Lean slightly forward while running can reduce stress too and make it easier to land mid foot.
    - Reduce pace, smaller steps.
    - Run on softer ground.
    - Avoid downhill.

should try to reduce as much impact as possible. Otherwise, shin splints will just keep coming back.
  • I had shin splints for years and found different shoes and orthotics to be bandaids. Since shin splints are caused by trauma to the muscle fibers and surrounding connective tissue, you have to let them rest and repair first, then strengthen them. Personally, I filled a milk jug with water, tied a rope to the handle and hung it over my toes. I then hung my leg over the arm of my sofa and lifted it 100 times with each foot. Think of it like a reverse calf raise...but yeah, I did this every other evening while I watched TV (cant remember for what period if time) and it's been 10 years since I have had shin splints. I know that there are a lot of products out there ti help you tolerate/treat the pain, but this helped me eliminate it and I hope that this helps you.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    I had shin splints for years and found different shoes and orthotics to be bandaids. Since shin splints are caused by trauma to the muscle fibers and surrounding connective tissue, you have to let them rest and repair first, then strengthen them. Personally, I filled a milk jug with water, tied a rope to the handle and hung it over my toes. I then hung my leg over the arm of my sofa and lifted it 100 times with each foot. Think of it like a reverse calf raise...but yeah, I did this every other evening while I watched TV (cant remember for what period if time) and it's been 10 years since I have had shin splints. I know that there are a lot of products out there ti help you tolerate/treat the pain, but this helped me eliminate it and I hope that this helps you.

I agree with you! I'm sure that being fitted will help as well but it's just a bandaid solution, you still have to strengthen. I suffer from shin splints too. I bought some compression socks (more of a leg warmer look, no foot part) and they help as well as strengthening my calves. I went for a run this morning and so far so good, I'll have to see how I am tomorrow. Also, taking a couple of days off between runs works for me too. If I run everyday I'm doomed right now, for me I need to work into it and strengthen my legs. These shin splints are really ticking me off too, the rest of my body can handle a fabulous run but not my lower legs....grrrrrrrrrr!!
  • Good shoes are the basics of running, so once you get that sorted, it's time to see what else could be causing it.

In my experience, I've had shin splints when I started running again after a long period of inactivity: weak muscles and lots of extra fat were putting extra strain on my shins.

How I solved it: I started biking to strenghten the legs. It has worked wonders: last weekend I tried running again after I stopped 'cause of shin splints and I've had no pain at all. So yeah, if it's a possibility for you, I'd say you should strenghten your legs first, either by biking or walking.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Im so glad there was this thread! I, too, suffer from god awful shin splints, but only on 1 leg (my left). I have the Asics GT-1000, this years "model". Great, comfy sneaker. I didnt inititally get shin splints, until I started running/jogging on hard surfaces, like the pavement. I ran fine on the boardwalk. I also tried running on the treadmill at the gym and my friend said to try increasing the incline to 1%. It helped a bit, but then they came back again only in my left leg. I will have to look into inserts as well I think. I dont mind running, but I still have alot of weight for my frame that needs to come off. I have signed up for some 5k's and I better be able to at least jog some of them! I also have to ice and then take a few days off from running to heal. They suck :(

Hope you heal up soon!
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    shin spints are often caused by excessive impact when running. Are you a heel striker? Look up some videos on mid-sole striking and try to emulate that. When I started to run in earnest I had to do this as I am a HORRIBLE heel striker.
    I have also been advised by marathoning friends that compression socks really help if you already suffer from shin splints. They're not cheap, but they're less than a new pair of shoes :D