Does lack of sugar cause headaches?

Options
I hugely overhauled my diet 2 months ago. Quit soda, started drinking water and finally started eating fruit and veggies. I notice that I get random headaches almost daily now that are NOT caffeine withdrawal headaches (they feel different). I started tracking them and if seems like they come when I haven't had much sugar or a lot of water. Does this sound normal for someone who made a recent change?

Replies

• meliad
    meliad Posts: 71
    Options
    My head is killing me too. But I am only on day two. It happens to me every time I give up junk but is done in a week or so. Water may help. Is it allergies?
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes, low blood sugar is horrible. Look up some symptoms of hypoglycemia. I even have horrible mood swings! And it's totally normal, your body is adjusting to diet change.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You will have to wait for someone else to answer regarding the sugar. However, lack of water will for sure cause headaches. Now that I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere and probably drink 12-15 cups a day I am so used to that intake. If I forget my bottle or drink less then 6 cups I will get a headache that will almost instantly go away when I drink
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It took me 42 days to get over getting sugar. It worked. And I no longer crave it.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Headaches are normal when you give up sugar as unfortunately they are part of the withdrawal process
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    "Quit soda"
    "They come when I haven't had a lot of water"

there's your problem, imo.
    caffeine headaches and not enough water to outbalance it.
  • RoosMommy01
    Options
    Yes it can! I'm going through that right now and it sucks soooooooooooooo bad but will definitely be well worth it in the end. I have been a raging lunatic the last few days. I am constantly apologizing to my husband and son but they are being very understandable towards me because I was the same way when I gave up caffeine.

It will get better though! Hang in there! But I will tell you that if you do happen to crave something sweet one day, then get sugar free because if you cave and eat something you will have a horrible headache either right afterwards or the next day.
  • PrajnaFaux
    Options
    I've been off sugar for four months. The first few weeks were hard, but now not so much. I found that I felt a lot better once I got off it. I do get occasional headaches, and it's when I've missed a meal or haven't had enough water. Is it warming up where you are? Because I have to increase my water once the weather gets hotter or if I am exercising more.
  • Sparkles614
    Sparkles614 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, low blood sugar is horrible. Look up some symptoms of hypoglycemia. I even have horrible mood swings! And it's totally normal, your body is adjusting to diet change.

Just because a person gives up sugar does not mean they are going to have hypoglycemia. The symptoms are most likely from withdrawl.
  • RoosMommy01
    Options
    I've been off sugar for four months. The first few weeks were hard, but now not so much. I found that I felt a lot better once I got off it. I do get occasional headaches, and it's when I've missed a meal or haven't had enough water. Is it warming up where you are? Because I have to increase my water once the weather gets hotter or if I am exercising more.

I am the same way with my headaches. There are times I am so busy during the day and forget to eat but then a headache comes on to remind me! *L* I drink TONS of water during the summer, I find it a little harder to get as much water in during the winter.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Dehydration can lead to a headache.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes
  • katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! What I had meant was I get them when I DO drink a ton of water, but the sugar feedback was very helpful :)
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to get stress induced migraines with my ex every month, so it may not just be your food, mine stopped when I left him xx
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes. Happens to me rarely but it does happen.

I then have to go and have some chocolate to restock on sugar.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think it's quite common for the first few days or couple of weeks but would have thought your body would have adjusted after two months. Personally I'd be looking for a different reason
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar can cause headaches, but there is no reason you should have low blood sugar if you are eating enough calories and including fruits and vegetables in your diet. If you eat does the headache go away?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    giving up all the crap and junk you once ate, on a daily basis, is just like detoxing from a drug, or cigarettes... it does have a physical effect on your body, and you just have to work yourself through it. my headaches and fatique lasted for about 3 weeks and then went away.

also, everyone NEEDS water, but some are more "sensitive" than others. my son, for example, would get horrible headaches, id tell him to drink water, then hed be fine. he now keeps a 1 gallon jug of water with him, and never has headaches. maybe you just need some more water.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Again YES
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If it's a frequent thing please get to your doctor it could be a symptom of something bigger. I assume you are eating other carbohydrate foods like fruits and grains, and if you are adequately hydrated it may be something else.