Now that I have lost 100lbs, I need help!

Options
So I am pretty stoked I met my first major weight loss goal of 100 lbs but now I have a new struggle...my arms. I have a lot of fat and low hanging skin on the back of my arms. At my gym, they gave me exercises but I don't think they are helping. Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ahh congratulations! I can't wait until I get to that point!!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Keep at those exercises! The changes won't happen overnight. Perhaps you might look into heavy lifting.
  • llyakl88
    llyakl88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss!!

There is no quick fix in terms of loose skin and whilst I'm not there yet, I've accepted the fact that I will have some.

Just keep exercising - lifting weights/cardio and hopefully it will get better in time. Other than that, I guess there is always surgery - but that really would be a last resort!.

Focus on the positives. You've had the willpower and motivation to get this far - keep at it now more than ever and your skin will tighten up over time :)
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    How long have you been @ these specialized exercises? If it took a decade to stretch the skin out, don't expect it to disappear overnight.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    ahh congratulations! I can't wait until I get to that point!!

^^THIS
  • TT64
    TT64 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Aside from what you seem to be doing, there is not a lot that can be done for loose skin, aside from surgery, which is called Brachioplasty.
    If you've just started doing the arm exercises you mentioned, be consistent and give it some time. The underlying muscle can definitely be toned up well, so see how consistent exercises for a good period of time do to shape up the upper arm area.
    It is one of the detriments to losing a lot of weight......loose skin, so if it you find the exercises don't tone you up the way you want them to......you may need to consider surgery.

I don't know if you still want to lose more weight, if so, you would want to wait until you get to goal before making that call.

In the meantime.......CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing weight loss!!! You must be so proud and feel like a new person! :flowerforyou:
  • mtbardell2013
    Options
    First of all, congrats! That is so amazing! I hope your baby-making goes well.

I know this is not the answer you want - but just keep doing strength exercises at the gym and give it time. It took a long time for the skin to become stretched and it will take time to shrink back down.

Do not use creams or potions from the drugstore, they are full of nasty chemicals and plastics that your skin can absorb. If you want to apply some goo, go for egg whites, papaya, ground up cabbage, cucumber, lemon, etc.

This person has some good "recipes:"
    http://natural-face-lift-without-surgery.blogspot.com/2012/08/natural-skin-tightening-facial-masks.html

Good luck! And congratulations, that is really great - and for a good reason.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My upper arms have always been big and now that I've lost a substantial amount of weight it's pretty evident to me that the only way they're going to look "normal" is with surgery.
  • Mine are looking better with lifting weights and I am working on lifting heavier weights to help even more. I anticipate having brachioplasty in a year or so to remove what is left but have noticed the skin tightens up over time with the loss. Good luck and congratulations!
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you haven't, take pictures now, keep up the exercises for three months, and then take pictures again. Even if the exercises do nothing to the loose skin, you know it's good for your body, so let yourself forget about it. Then, take pictures again, after a season has passed. It's hard to see the difference quickly, and hard to see the difference in a place you don't often see directly anyway.
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You could always get an arm lift to get rid of the excess skin?
  • suckerlove
    suckerlove Posts: 198
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am going to continue my daily exercise. I may consider surgery when I hit my goal weight.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    congrats on the 100 pounds thats amaxing u should be very proud off yourself
    as for arm flab-

Chest Press

The chest press not only helps provide sleek, sculpted biceps and triceps but also tones your back and abdomen. Lie flat on an exercise mat. Hold a set of light dumbbells at your sides with your palms facing downward. Keep your feet on the mat and bend your knees to about a 60-degree angle. Bend your elbows and draw back your shoulders and arms until your upper arms lie perpendicular to your body. Place your wrists directly over your elbows and use your chest and arm muscles to press the dumbbells up toward the ceiling. Perform three sets of 12 repetitions.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407183-arm-flab-exercises-for-women/#ixzz2R8Tm9LTJ
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Standing Triceps Toner

The standing triceps toner firms the backs of your upper arms, helping to reduce arm flab jiggle. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and contract your abs. Hold a dumbbell in your left hand, and raise it straight up toward the ceiling. Feel your triceps muscles tense as you use your right hand to support your left arm. Place the dumbbell behind your head, then raise the dumbbell toward the ceiling again. Complete 15 repetitions on each arm.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407183-arm-flab-exercises-for-women/#ixzz2R8TvjlMD
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Rear Arm Dip

The rear arm dip works similarly to the standing triceps toner, helping to tone the backs of your arms by strengthening your triceps. Sit on the very edge of a stable chair, and curl your fingers around the front of the seat. Plant your feet firmly on the floor. Keep your hands placed on the seat, bend your elbows behind your body and slide yourself half way down the front of the chair. Hold for five seconds, then use your triceps to raise your buttocks back on the chair seat. Repeat 12 times. Once you have mastered the beginning level of the exercise, Minna Lessig, supermodel and author of "Tank Top Arms, Bikini Belly, Boys Shorts Bottom," recommends you try the intermediate level version of the rear arm dip. Instead of planting both feet on the floor, start the exercise with your right foot on top of your left foot

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407183-arm-flab-exercises-for-women/#ixzz2R8U2Qe5W
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    advertisement

Sponsored Links

50 Circuit Workouts Burn fat & get totally ripped with these 50 circuit workout routines MaxWorkouts.com

Standing Triceps Toner

The standing triceps toner firms the backs of your upper arms, helping to reduce arm flab jiggle. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and contract your abs. Hold a dumbbell in your left hand, and raise it straight up toward the ceiling. Feel your triceps muscles tense as you use your right hand to support your left arm. Place the dumbbell behind your head, then raise the dumbbell toward the ceiling again. Complete 15 repetitions on each arm.

Rear Arm Dip

The rear arm dip works similarly to the standing triceps toner, helping to tone the backs of your arms by strengthening your triceps. Sit on the very edge of a stable chair, and curl your fingers around the front of the seat. Plant your feet firmly on the floor. Keep your hands placed on the seat, bend your elbows behind your body and slide yourself half way down the front of the chair. Hold for five seconds, then use your triceps to raise your buttocks back on the chair seat. Repeat 12 times. Once you have mastered the beginning level of the exercise, Minna Lessig, supermodel and author of "Tank Top Arms, Bikini Belly, Boys Shorts Bottom," recommends you try the intermediate level version of the rear arm dip. Instead of planting both feet on the floor, start the exercise with your right foot on top of your left foot.

Dumbbell Triceps Pushdown

The American Council on Exercise suggests the beginner level dumbbell triceps kickback to isolate your triceps. Sitting on a stability ball while performing the movements uses even more muscles. Hold a dumbbell in your left hand and sit on your ball. Contract your abs, place your right hand on your right knee and bend your upper body forward about 45 degrees. Bring your left elbow up toward the ceiling and your hand in toward your ribs. Exhale, contract your triceps muscles and slowly straighten your left elbow behind your torso. Inhale and return to the start position. Repeat 12 times on both arms.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407183-arm-flab-exercises-for-women/#ixzz2R8U7ZwRE
  • suckerlove
    suckerlove Posts: 198
    Options
    Wow, I will definitely try those, thanks so much.