Tea or Coffee?

As I am stuck in the office atleast 8 hours a day I tend to drink around 4 to 6 normal sized mugs of tea or coffee a day with 1 sugar and semi-skimmed milk (hate skimmed!!)

Just wondered if there is any problem with this or if there is any better drinks I could be having?

On a bit of a budget due to personal reasons but I do also enjoy fresh juices and especially grape juices which I have recently found, such as welchs white grape and pear juice.

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Are you getting your macros from other sources? If so, you'll be fine. Coffee/tea/caffeinated beverages aren't evil, or even noticeably diuretic. Count the calories in your beverage (which appear minimal), count your 4 - 6 mugs as part of your "water" intake, and be happy. I have yet to see a reputable study refuting this.
  • Mikebmth
    Mikebmth Posts: 13 Member
    Are you getting your macros from other sources? If so, you'll be fine. Coffee/tea/caffeinated beverages aren't evil, or even noticeably diuretic. Count the calories in your beverage (which appear minimal), count your 4 - 6 mugs as part of your "water" intake, and be happy. I have yet to see a reputable study refuting this.

Macros? Sorry can you explain this.....

I do enjoy juice too and frequently drink things like freshly pressed carrot juice etc
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Macros are proteins, carbohydrate and fats. Macros is shorthand for macro nutirents. Most people are referring to getting the correct number of calories within the recommended amount of protein, carbohydrates and fats for your weight loss goals when they speak of macros. Micro nutrients are things like vitamins and minerals derived from the foods we eat.
  • Moonbeem11
    Moonbeem11 Posts: 32 Member
    I discovered this healthy "coffee" called Teeccino. It comes in lots of flavors, and it's so good! If you use Stevia instead of sugar - it's a natural sweetener (only use a tiny bit), that will eliminate the refined sugar. I don't believe in low fat. It's not healthier, although there are plenty of people that buy into it. I use half and half. Sugar is the enemy, not fat.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    I really enjoy herbal teas or even hot water with a wedge of lemon, just to mix it up. I am a teacher, and find that it's very easy to get dehydrated, and I like warm beverages, but I personally want to limit the caffeine. Over time, those 4 sugars a day add up, which is the tricky part, but if you're meeting your health, weight, and fitness goals/expectations, then clearly you have it in balance.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    I don't think drinking tea or coffee is bad. (I don't drink coffee because to me it tastes like dirt). I'm a tea-aholic. I drink it constantly throughout the day, and it ensures I get at least 8 cups of water a day (I usually get about 6 cups of actual water + however many cups of tea). Although I drink decaf or herbal tisanes after 6pm because I can't sleep if I have caffeine later then that.
    From what I've read tea has a lot of health properties. I do avoid adding too much milk or sugar too often. I drink green, white, oolong and herbal teas all clear. Black tea is when I indulge in milk and sugar for breakfast in the morning.
  • Mythrae
    Mythrae Posts: 3 Member
    Don't worry about tea. Don't know about coffee. But I drink a 1.7L thermos of tea almost every day when I'm at work - believe me, in a call centre, I need it!

I only add Splenda and it's black tea (Irish Breakfast or English Breakfast). Look up your drink, count the calories and you're fine. I WOULD make sure that you are still drinking enough water though - don't let the tea or coffee replace water.
  • Nah, you're fine with tea & coffee! I like to mix it up with herbal/flavored teas and iced varieties of tea & coffee for the flavored beverage end of the spectrum.

However, I wouldn't count a mug of coffee equal to a mug of water. Yes, you'll get some hydration, but it'll be minimal. So drink up!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Nah, you're fine with tea & coffee! I like to mix it up with herbal/flavored teas and iced varieties of tea & coffee for the flavored beverage end of the spectrum.

However, I wouldn't count a mug of coffee equal to a mug of water. Yes, you'll get some hydration, but it'll be minimal. So drink up!
    Citation for that last sentence re: "it'll be minimal," please?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I'd say that drinking tea or coffee instead of water is fine, but don't overdo the milk - or measure & count it very carefully. You DO need to watch those fruit juices though. Grape juice especially, is sugar laden with minimal micronutrients and zero fibre. You're much safer / healthier with a mug of tea!