Startingc25k 4/22/13

Options
I am the very definition of a couch potato, and I am planning to start c25k tomorrow morning. My goal is to run a 5k at some point this year....a real stretch for someone who has never been a runner. Obviously I will need a lot of support and encouragement, so I was hoping to find a buddy or two who were starting the program at the same time. Anyone want to work together to accomplish the 5k goal?

Replies

• jamkids
    jamkids Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just 'starting again' on the diet and exercise rollercoaster tomorrow, and hoping that this is the time that I can really make a difference. My dd wants to do a 5k with me in July. I have done 3 before, but now I am heavier and out of shape. I don't know much about the c25k program, but I would love to hear what they are recommending!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'll join you. I just finished Week 1 of C25K and will be starting Week 2 Mon or Tues. The first day was tough but the next two days were totally doable. Let's encourage each other!!
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Glad to see others are in a similar boat. I'm both nervous and excited to start!
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I will start with you tomorrow.
  • dab52776
    Options
    Day 1 done! I went slow, but got it done :) Anyone else start today?
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow starts week 2 for me.

Keep it up!
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Way to go guys! You all can do it if I can!! I have never before been a runner in my life. I am now on Week 8 of the program, almost done! I have two 5K's that I am signed up for and I hope to finish them. :) Just remember, don't compete with someone else....do what you can do and you will get through it.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Here is something I posted to my page last week and wanted to share because I think it applies here.

For a while now I've been telling myself that when I get to 220lbs I would start the C25K program. I don't know why I had it in my head that 220 was the weight I had to be before starting. I've been reading so many stories of people who started running who weighed more than 220 so I've been psyching myself up and today, at 231lbs I completed Day 1 of the program.

First I strapped on two bras as I am large chested and I saw other people recommend this. As I was getting on the treadmill I was nervous. The first five minutes is a walking warm up and I progressively got more nervous and even embarrassed. I'm not sure why I felt that way because I was alone in my own home at the time :) Okay here it comes. I started jogging, not fast 3.8mph but I did it. I jogged for the full minute. It took the whole walking time to catch my breath but I jogged again. I felt so proud of myself. I really didn't think that I could do it. Keep in mind both my boobs and butt were bouncing but I was jogging. The first half was not terrible, I felt mostly pride for this accomplishment. Going into the second half my legs felt a bit wobbly but still I kept at it and was able to finish the whole first day.

It's funny because as I was on the treadmill I was thinking that I couldn't wait to get on here and share this news with all of you. I wanted to put it in writing to prove that I really did it. I also wanted to encourage other big girls out there that there is no magic weight you have to get to before starting anything. Just psych yourself up and do it. It may be uncomfortable, physically and emotionally, but you can do it. Even if you could only jog for part of the jogging portion that is something!!!

Thank you all for being so supportive and encouraging as I continue to make healthy changes to my life!!

Tomorrow I start Week 2!!
  • looplulu
    looplulu Posts: 21
    Options
    I just finished day 1 of week 4. It's hard, but stick with it!
  • shortstuff17
    shortstuff17 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I will be you C25k buddy! i actually did it last summer and completed my first 5K last september! unfortunately, i didnt keep up with my running over the winter months so I am starting over. I just completed day 1 week 1 last wednesday and plan on doing day 2 today. but coming from someone who has always hated running, if you stick with it and complete this program you will be able to complete a 5K. I know right now it may seem impossible but I promise if you follow it you will accomplish your goal and it is a great feeling! so good luck and add me if you would like :)
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting today too. I'll let you know I how it went later. I'm soo excited!
  • NicolleJermaine3190
    Options
    I start week 2 of c25k tomorrow :) even felt better on run 2! x
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Today I'll be doing Day 3 of Week 1. I've run more in the last 4 days than I did in the previous 20 years combined. My saying used to be "I hate running so much I wouldn't even run from danger" so this is quite a new adventure for me too. Feel free to add me as well!
  • LazySalamander
    Options
    I'm starting day one of week two and I'm having a little bit of a motivation problem just getting out of bed this morning (I'm literally laying in bed on my smart phone right now >.<). I think I have the wrong shoes because I ran day 2 week 1 and hurt my hip a little bit. I'd be fine to run today but it is tight- and the last week of school so I don't want want to do ANYTHING. I keep telling myself it's a half hour tops and running an extra 30 seconds per repeat isn't going to kill me but it's not working like it did last week. I have a workout buddy but she's suffering from "old lady knee" this morning so that's no help. Anyone ever feel similar? What do you do?
  • LazySalamander
    Options
    I'm starting day one of week two and I'm having a little bit of a motivation problem just getting out of bed this morning (I'm literally laying in bed on my smart phone right now >.<). I think I have the wrong shoes because I ran day 2 week 1 and hurt my hip a little bit. I'd be fine to run today but it is tight- and the last week of school so I don't want want to do ANYTHING. I keep telling myself it's a half hour tops and running an extra 30 seconds per repeat isn't going to kill me but it's not working like it did last week. I have a workout buddy but she's suffering from "old lady knee" this morning so that's no help. Anyone ever feel similar? What do you do?

I hit reply a little early >.<! Feel free to add me as well. I'm sort of new at this, but we can share our misery/awesome success stories in the end!
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ok just finished it. I did 10 reps instead of 8. Feeling great!
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    Im gonna streach and head out in about 20 minutes. Day one week one. Me and a friend (Bioc) are doing it together along with a few other people. Feel free to add me. (The more support the better, especially since I hate running )
  • RCANTU2013
    RCANTU2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started on my 5K journey Saturday morning. I'll go along the ride with you!
    I'm currently 165 & 5'1 and was once an athlete, many years of working OT and a baby later, I am not so much lol. So i'm starting right from the beginning with the running.

I don't like treadmills so I started outside.
    I've downloaded an app called Run Double...C25K Couch to 5K. I like it b/c I can listen to my Pandora and it chimes in telling me when to start running and when to stop.
    I'll do 3X a week for 9 weeks and then I'm doing the Dirty Dash the next week :) 2nd time for week 1 I will be completing this afternoon. (M/W/F this week).

I look forward to following along with everyone!
  • dab52776
    Options
    Glad to see so many people here! I was thinking of maybe starting a group for all of us. I find that easier to keep track of different people/ threads, than just one long ongoing thread. Sound good?
  • LazySalamander
    Options
    I'd join!