Iron Rich Foods - Any Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, just added a cup and a half of spinach to lunch and reach 83% of the RDA. You are right about spinach.
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Me too on this. I've started trying to include one iron-rich food into every meal - kale, sesame seeds, dried apricots - and drinkign fortified OJ. Even a little goes a long way. I learned a lot on this website: http://www.ironrichfood.org/

This is a great resource. Thanks!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Dark green vegetables such as broccoli, chard, etc.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've ever seen in my whole life EVER EVER: the iron content in my 85% cocoa dark chocolate. It was ridiculously high in iron, but also in calories.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Chicken livers have good amounts of iron.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I'll take "things that are leafy and green" for 200, Alex. And maybe some dried fruits.

I also take a multivitamin (used to be anemic, never again!) and I always get compliments on my hemoglobin levels when I give blood, lol.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I recently found that goji berries are a great source of iron. I use that as well as blackstrap molasses. Keep in mind that plant based Iron sources need to be taken with vitamin c source (oranges, orange bell peppers, grapefruits, etc) in order for your body to absorb the iron more efficiently (per my dietician).
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this one mentioned: pumpkin seeds.

I was anemic due to heavy periods. Tried to increase my iron in food like a maniac. The only thing that helped was taking iron supplements. Because it's so constipating to me I was able to go with natures bounty 28mg iron (only one), once a day (with breakfast or it makes me burp the stuff all day). Even with coffee to gulp it down it's brought me up to normal.

The doctor wanted me to take more, but this was an okay amount to bring my iron up to "good" level without causing me all sorts of trouble GI wise They really bother me--I was unable to take prenatal vitamins because of the iron upset. So this is a big deal for me to be able to tolerate them! It was that or a transfusion!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I take a multi every day so I never worried about it, even when I was limiting my meat. Spinach and kale have quite a bit, beans, etc.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Spinach, hemp seeds, oats, grains, cereal
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - 1 Serving = 10% DV
    Cream of Wheat - 1 Serving = 50% DV
    Greens - Spinach, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts etc. = DV varies
    Red Meat = DV Varies
  • hauntedsandiegospooky
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have found lots of vegan vitamins at stores such as Sprouts, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's (I live in California). I'm not sure if GNC has vegan vitamins or not. I take a regular multivitamin and because I'm anemic (probably because I'm a veggiesaurus) I take iron pills. I HATE the iron pills - they make me burp and I swear, it tastes like I just licked an ash tray. I'm a former smoker and I kid you not, that's what it tastes like. I know - gross!! Check out some of your local health food stores and you might find some vegan vittles. :-)
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I am routinely well under the RDA of Iron every day. I am not anemic, but I'd like to know how to eat real foods to get my essential nutrients. Any suggestions?

I am great on iron on a regualar basis. Beans have a ton of iron. I got my iron yesterday from garbonzo beans and soy protein powder. Chocolate has some iron too.