jogging running...frustrations

Options
I usually jog at 5.0 - 6.0 for 2 min incline 3 and walk for 2 min 3.9 at incline 3. I have been doing this for the longest time and now within the first 5 min I am getting cramps where i can't work through. It's annoying enough that i have to switch over to the elliptical. Getting very bored of the elliptical and want to start trying to jog/run to get a better burn, but I just can't seem to run well.
Any suggestions? I am having trouble building up the stamina for longer distances.

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming enough water?

There are other nutritional considerations as well.

Are you referring to abdominal cramps or other types of cramps?
  • ainsleybtown
    Options
    abdominal cramps usually just on my right side. Drinking plenty of water too. It's just recently...so frustrating.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I usually jog at 5.0 - 6.0 for 2 min incline 3 and walk for 2 min 3.9 at incline 3. I have been doing this for the longest time and now within the first 5 min I am getting cramps where i can't work through. It's annoying enough that i have to switch over to the elliptical. Getting very bored of the elliptical and want to start trying to jog/run to get a better burn, but I just can't seem to run well.
    Any suggestions? I am having trouble building up the stamina for longer distances.

Run outside. I honestly have less trouble with cramps when I'm not on the treadmill. I don't know if it's the fresh air or what, but I rarely having cramping issues outside. Plus, the treadmill is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Smoothtacular
    Smoothtacular Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I get bad side cramps if I drink or eat anything too close to when I run.. I usually wait a couple hours at least, even water right before running does it for me.
  • jvillabona
    Options
    Are you warming up? Are you starting with the jogging or the walking?
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You're running too fast. Run at 4.0 - 4.2 mph.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

Wrong. Some people can run more than a 15 minute mile.
  • RunnerDude2013
    RunnerDude2013 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I get a cramp or side stitch while running it is usually related to the way I'm breathing. Try changing the way you're breathing when you feel a cramp starting and see if it helps.
  • ainsleybtown
    Options
    I get bad side cramps if I drink or eat anything too close to when I run.. I usually wait a couple hours at least, even water right before running does it for me.

I think this may be playing a big factor. I've been trying to eat something within 30 min before so that I have energy. I have this all wrong. Thanks.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree, run outside. I get cramps on the treadmill, almost never outside. You give your body the chance to run at the pace that works for it, on that day, in that circumstance.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options

If she was able to run a 10 - 12 minute mile (like she is currently trying) don't you think she'd have done it by now?
    She even said she hasn't been progressing for weeks-- been stuck at 3 minutes and 5.0 - 6.0 mph.

Shes pushing herself too hard too fast and her body is telling her this.
    She needs to slow down.
    Then she can work on speed.
  • jayrae87
    jayrae87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also agree. I used to get side cramps at the gym and since I've started running outside, nothing. It's awesome.
  • sidewinder76
    Options
    Eat more bananas!! Concentrate on breathing Sounds silly but it works :)
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

If she was able to run a 10 - 12 minute mile (like she is currently trying) don't you think she'd have done it by now?
    She even said she hasn't been progressing for weeks-- been stuck at 3 minutes and 5.0 - 6.0 mph.

Shes pushing herself too hard too fast and her body is telling her this.
    She needs to slow down.
    Then she can work on speed.

No, she's cramping, not struggling keep pace. I'm not smart enough to know exactly what is wrong, but I know the speed isn't it.