Adult blemish eruption! Help!pimples

Options
Adah_m
Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
Hello!
Trying to figure out what could possibly be causing this. I have pimples on my face (not normal for me!) and all over my body. Some get big and don't want to open, and painful like boils. I also have two pimple like sores on the inside of my mouth, on my cheeks on either side. They hurt. I've never had this before. I've been detoxing, by drinking tons of detox tea mixed with cranberry and lemon juice and at least 64 ounces-120 ounces of water daily. I've also been working out harder than ever before. Someone told me losing weight in general releases whatever toxins were in your body at the time your fat was stored, which for me would have been a few years ago during a very unhealthy time. I've been losing at a pretty fast pace lately and combined with detox, am I just seeing the side effects?? Thoughts??

Replies

• Copperlash
    Options
    It sounds like a toxin release to me. It's pretty natural for your skin to erupt when you change your diet and start a detox. It can help to dab honey on the pimples - it's a natural antiseptic.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I had acne in my teens and suddenly at the start of the year got it full blown again. I actually had to go to the doctor and get medication for it it was so bad and I was so miserable.. If it's bothering you, see your doctor.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes itself. It sounds like maybe you are having a reaction. I would see your doctor and a dermatologist as soon as you can
  • amberxy
    amberxy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My brother had a similar problem, but he made an effort to have a shower and then moisturise straight after any exercise session and this helped with the breakouts.

If you are seeing a correlation between the acne and the ingestion of the 'detox' drink, I'd be swapping the cranberry and lemon juice for some food.

Congrats on your loss so far :)
  • Katatatatoo
    Options
    I have no use what's causing it, but one thing I find helps for pimples is to break open an Advil gel pill and press that on the pimple. I don't know why it helps, but it almost immediately helps the swelling and redness disappear. Hope this helps!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have no use what's causing it, but one thing I find helps for pimples is to break open an Advil gel pill and press that on the pimple. I don't know why it helps, but it almost immediately helps the swelling and redness disappear. Hope this helps!

uncoated aspirin has been known to help too, make a paste with the pill and a moisturizer of your choice.
    also works well with honey.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    okay! queen healene mint julup mask will reduce the redness andreduce pimples. you get it sallys. i just started using it and my face just looks amazing. you keep it on for ten to fifteen minutes then rinse it off. it makes your face feel amazing and it smells like spearmint gum. it's in a jar. like $8 for a jar.

i now swear by it.. it helps
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    Are you sure it's not an allergic reaction? Anyway, acidic foods can cause breakouts. The lemons and cranberries could be the problem.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    I had this problem, while drinking a Muscle Milk almost every single day. Once I stopped drinking them, the problem has completely gone away. Turns out some people can be sensitive to the casein protein, as it is a milk protein.

It could very well be your body releasing toxins. But if you are drinking Muscle Milk, it could be linked.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What, besides the "detox" have you been doing that's different? Have you changed your soap? Are you using OTC acne medicine?

Up until a year ago I never had an acne problem then all of a sudden it was break-out city! Turns out I was allergic to the OTC acne fighters. Anything that had syacillic acid in it was causing the eruptions so I stopped using it, bought an anti-bacterial bar and I have been acne free since mid December. I also use isopropyl alcohol after I wash as my "astringent".
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It is not normal to get pimples or anything like that on the inside of your mouth.

Do you feel well otherwise? Viral infections can cause sores in the mouth, but you will also feel run down like you have a cold at least.

They could just be ulcers of course, that could be a dietary thing. I get them when I get run down and am not getting enough fruit and veg.

Also bear in mind cranberry juice can interfere with certain medications. Just in case you are taking anything.
  • Adah_m
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone!! Nothing else has changed, I stopped drinking the drink for a day or two and they have calmed down a little. Still not sure if the drink was causing a detox or if I'm allergic to something in it. I know that splenda will make my skin go NUTS and I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't have muscle milk, but it was great advice.

I started using Saint Ives Green Tea scrub with salicylic acid, and my skin was amazing for a while, but now if I use that after working out it feels too harsh and my skin burns. I just bought something milder for after workouts, hoping that helps. :smile:
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sores inside the mouth point to probably either an allergic reaction or some type of infection - canker sore, for example, or something similar. If that's unusual for you, go see your doctor.

As for your skin - if you're making changes to the way you're eating, your body is going to react to that, and not always in a positive way. It could just be your body adjusting, or it could be that you've introduced something that doesn't agree with your system.

As far as the red "boils" you're talking about, depending on the size, that almost sounds like rosacea. I have a touch of rosacea myself, actually, and it might be more noticeable now if you're working out (as a change) because being flushed/hot makes it worse. I use Proactiv (awesome) and take care not to put scented stuff on my face.
  • Adah_m
    Options
    I found out that the sores are, I think it's called a mucocele, the pics on google images are pretty much what I have, a small white bump/blister on the inside of my bottom lip. Warning: the following may be gross, lol
    But one got pretty big, then it burst today all of a sudden (painlessly, I just noticed it went away suddenly) and I think it was normal saliva inside. It seems to be just a swollen mucus gland. Apparently really common, and they come and go in a matter of days. I don't know if the sudden appearance has anything to do with detoxing/losing weight, but I've never had them before this week, and I've had four different ones come and go on the inside of my lower lip.

So nothing to really worry about, just a strange thing.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone!! Nothing else has changed, I stopped drinking the drink for a day or two and they have calmed down a little. Still not sure if the drink was causing a detox or if I'm allergic to something in it. I know that splenda will make my skin go NUTS and I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't have muscle milk, but it was great advice.

I started using Saint Ives Green Tea scrub with salicylic acid, and my skin was amazing for a while, but now if I use that after working out it feels too harsh and my skin burns. I just bought something milder for after workouts, hoping that helps. :smile:

salicylic acid isn't meant to be used daily, unless it's just a spot treatment and you're use to it.
    you might be alright just using it once a week, or a couple times a month.
    remember your skin is on a 28 day cycle just like your tom,
    so sometime in there you need some good exfoliation.
    for something daily, or a couple times a week you could try a clay based mask
    i like kaolin clay, green clay is also really good, that is, if you have oily skin like me.

for exfoliating i also like a paste of honey and cinnamon,
    i just mix a tablespoon of honey and a few shakes of cinnamon in my palm
    and mix it with a finger, rub on the affected area.
    the honey is very moisturizing. lotions often leave me feeling a little oily
    and that doesn't.