low sodium deli meats- do they exist?

Options
I sincerely miss snacking on bits of turkey meat or making wraps with it but the sodium is just so darn high and I haven't been able to find one thats low in sodium. any suggestions?

Replies

• macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Try making your own...it's not as thin as regular deli meat (unless you're better at slicing than me!), but tasty and you can change the seasonings and salt to your liking.
    http://www.chefshanekelly.com/2013/02/herby-turkey-lunch-meat/
  • sleepy11
    sleepy11 Posts: 23
    Options
    Boar's head makes a lower sodium turkey and a no salt added turkey. They also make a low sodium ham but I've never had it. I prefer the lower sodium turkey to the no salt added one so that's what I buy. It's kind of pricey. Applegate Organics also has lower sodium turkey but it's not advertised as so. I had to read labels to find this out. I've limited my deli meat consumption in order to reduce my sodium intake. I used to have a turkey sandwich 3-4 times a week and I now only have them 1-2 times.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If there is, i havent found it. Even the Boars Head lower sodium is killer. Hence, I suppose, the word "lower" rather than "low".
    I didnt realize there was a no salt one though, I might haveto check that out.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If there is, i havent found it. Even the Boars Head lower sodium is killer. Hence, I suppose, the word "lower" rather than "low".

yeah i definitely want to try the no salt added one. i'm not a huge red meat eater and i have a weird thing with eating chicken lol. i cant live on salmon and tuna lol
  • sleepy11
    sleepy11 Posts: 23
    Options

Yea, it's definitely killer which is why I've just cutback over all. I'm not sure the difference in sodium between the lower and no salt added turkey. I just found the no salt added version super bland. I have found lowering my sodium intake to be the hardest thing about my new diet.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use the no-salt added Boar's Head turkey. I love it. It has 55mg sodium per 2 oz, which is plenty for a sandwich, wrap, etc. I eat it almost every day and am always well under my allotted 1500 mg of sodium for the day.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Even luncheon meats labeled as "reduced sodium" or "healthy" may still contribute to your overall sodium intake. The "healthy" label indicates a sodium content less than 480 mg per serving, but a serving may be a single slice of meat. If you put your lunch meat on a sandwich, the bread may contribute up to 300 mg more of sodium, bringing your total consumption during one meal up to almost 800 mg, more than half of the ideal daily intake. The addition of condiments, such as ketchup or mustard, can raise salt levels even more. "Reduced sodium" foods must have 25 percent less sodium than the regular version, but in many cases, this still doesn't bring salt levels down far enough to be considered healthy or safe.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/344503-the-sodium-content-of-lunch-meat/#ixzz2RBWf7k2W
  • MFed33
    MFed33 Posts: 4
    Options
    I live in Western Massachusetts and have been asking this same question for years. I find that all deli meats, even the low sodium ones, are too high in sodium content for my liking. A friend out in Boston recommended to me that I try Old Neighborhood Foods. They are based out of Boston and have a Sister company, Thin 'N Trim. I've compared all the numbers against other brands and they are by far the healthiest deli meat out there. Only problem is that there products are tough to find outside of the Northeast. I know they are trying to branch out, but it could take awhile as they grow. You best bet would be to write to them and express the demand for their product in your area! also express your want for this product at your local grocer.

Hope this helps!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    yeah, boars head has some... but I'm in the "make your own" camp.

Buy a ham/turkey. Get wood chips and soak them. Add to fire... make smoke.. add meat... wait.

then just slice it. Boom, done.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can find the lower sodium ones. I think walmart carries a couple of different kinds, but I don't remember the name.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have found my local QFC does a "we bake" turkey. They take a turkey breast, bake it, slice it, sell it as lunch meat. Much lower in sodium than anything I have found. If your store doesn't have that, looks like make your own it is.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sams carries a brand called Castle Wood that has a four pepper over roasted turkey that isn't bad. Its the best I have found. I think its a little over 200g sodium per 2oz serving.
  • kaavery120188
    kaavery120188 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We like to make our own whole turkey, and then slice it up for lunch meat. It's a little more time consuming, but sooooo good! You can season it however you'd like (maybe Mrs. Dash seasonings). But be careful, some of the companies like to inject the turkeys with salt as a preservative. So double check the label. Hope this helped!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    To the people that make your own, how long does it last? Do you freeze it? What is the texture like after it thaws? My general rule is to keep meat no longer than 3 days. That's why the deli meats have sky high sodium levels...to preserve it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    To the people that make your own, how long does it last? Do you freeze it? What is the texture like after it thaws? My general rule is to keep meat no longer than 3 days. That's why the deli meats have sky high sodium levels...to preserve it.
    I'll smoke a turkey breast, pork tenderloin, or boston butt. I don't know how long it would keep because it never lasts more than a few days anyway.

I HAVE smoked a few breasts/butts at once (RE: MODS... THIS IS NOT INNUENDO)... and they held up pretty well after freezing and rethawing later.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    BJ's carries Dietz & Watson roast beef that is the lowest sodium deli meat I've found, other than the no salt added Boars Head turkey which was absolutely disgusting. lol
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Even luncheon meats labeled as "reduced sodium" or "healthy" may still contribute to your overall sodium intake. The "healthy" label indicates a sodium content less than 480 mg per serving, but a serving may be a single slice of meat. If you put your lunch meat on a sandwich, the bread may contribute up to 300 mg more of sodium, bringing your total consumption during one meal up to almost 800 mg, more than half of the ideal daily intake. The addition of condiments, such as ketchup or mustard, can raise salt levels even more. "Reduced sodium" foods must have 25 percent less sodium than the regular version, but in many cases, this still doesn't bring salt levels down far enough to be considered healthy or safe.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/344503-the-sodium-content-of-lunch-meat/#ixzz2RBWf7k2W

You are so right. Never realized how much sodium is in bread, pita bread 400 mg sodium - that's too much for me in one meal along with what else goes into the pita. Until I find the find to make my own, I will eating it once in a while.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    we just cook our own turkeys and then use the breast for lunch meat and we use the dark meat to make soups with. It ends up being cheaper by the pound.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    there are alot of deli meats with a low sodium label. but why are you so concerned? sodium isnt bad for you.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid of sodium. Try to get at least 1500-2500 daily.

Eating too little might cause muscle cramps...eating too much will cause bloating.

Good Luck!