Disproportionately Large Waist?

Options

Replies

• 708Vivian
    708Vivian Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like athletic too. Boyish, banana, rectangle or worse brick don't sounds as nice.

I'm 38 - 30 - 36 with broad shoulders and don't think I will ever be an hourglass or have a 20-something waist.
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Even at my thinnest (100 lbs at 5'7") I've never had a waist less than 26 inches. Right now at 117 lbs I'm 33-27-35 with an AA bust - not much "womanliness" happening over here...

It's not so much my waist that bothers me so much as my lack of bust - I'd feel much more proportional if I had some curves up top.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else here feel like their waist is far too large for their body size?
    YES I'M REALLY FAT THOUGH

LOL

You funny guy.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Carrying my 9#3oz son blew my waistline all to ****. I may never get it back. Fortunately that's what corsets are for. I don't think I'll ever have a 20" waistline again but I can hope! It was 36-20-36 at one point many, many years ago BC (before children).

Hah yes :-)

When at a healthy weight I can get an hourglass proportion by wearing a corset - without one it's a tantalising 2-3 inches away.
  • kw344
    kw344 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm an orange on stilts.
    [/quote

That's how I feel!
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yep... My measurements are 32ish-26-34. I'm 5'5" 118 lbs, 17% BF. Would love to get my waist down to 25" but I don't know if that will ever happen! As a senior in HS, I went through a rough patch and my weight went down to a measly 108 lbs. I do not think my waist was 25" even then.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are measuring in the correct place. Your waist is not necessarily where your pants fit or at your belly button like some people seem to think. It is at the smallest section of your torso. In my case it's an inch or so above my belly button.

Yeah, it took me about six weeks to figure this out...very good point. I think they need some guidance on where to take measurements on MFP where you record measurements. It would have really helped. And you can't rename them once you start, so I have Waist, and Waist 2. LOL (For body fat measurements, often they ask for Naval, so I keep track of both now).

This is sort of my problem: proportions. I could keep losing to see my abs, but then I would lose more of my bust...this is how women get into lifting, I think! Can't afford to lose more weight in one spot, but need it to come off in another. We hope and pray! LOL I'm like 32-29(on a good day)-35.5 at 5'3"
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 130lbs, and ~35-27/27.5-35. Some might call that a disproportionately large waist because for some reason 24" has become the magic number. But remember, you're a pretty tall girl. And honestly, as you lose weight it basically depends on the distance between the bottom of your ribcage and the top of your pelvis. I've been down to like 121lbs and my waist was... 26?26.5? And I looked downright skeletal otherwise. Don't sweat it :)
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Honestly sounds like you have a waist. It's smaller than both your bust and hips, which is the idea. At my heaviest (145 pounds at 5'3"), my measurement was 36-37-42. Not good. Losing weight definitely helped. For the first time ever I have a waist. I'm now about 32-28-38.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I've felt the same way. I'm 5'5", 115lbs, and my measurements were 34, 28.5, 34. I'm pleased to say I lost an inch off my waist in the past month or two though. I've been really focusing on strength training, and I think it is making a difference.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else here feel like their waist is far too large for their body size? Did your proportions get better as you continued to lose body fat, or is it something we just have to deal with?

I'm 5'6", 138 pounds, and my measurements are 36-30-38. It looks ridiculous. I look big because my waist is so wide. My stomach is actually pretty flat, so it might just be the way my frame is built :(
    I was looking at the measurements in the 150-160 pound thread, and was so discouraged. A lot of the girls in my height range (5'5-5'7) at that weight had a 28" or so waist. I don't understand why mine refuses to shrink :(

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I've been there! And yes, with decreased body fat, this does change. You may still think you are disproportioned, but as you get leaner clothes will fit differently.

In fact, my chest and my hips *should* fit into a size 4 right now, but size charts have my waist at a size 8 or even a 10 depending on the brand...but if I wear size 5/6 that sits a little lower, you can't even really tell my waist is larger.

And I agree with the above poster about the weight training. Since I started lifting heavy and cut out a lot of cardio, things started happening with my body comp. that makes me look much better than before.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im 156lbs and 5"5 and measurments are 37-30-37, Even pre babies I had a waist of 28inches at 127-30lbs so I think Im just more of a box shape lol. All the women in my family have short torsos and wide waists and the only way to get out of that is to drop down to a tiny weight (my aunt dropped down to about 100lbs at 5"3 and she was tiny everywhere apart fro her wide waist.
    Im happy with my shape but grr I want to be in the 20's again! However I think 2 babys in 18 months might have altered that plan! Im in uk size 12/us 8 jeans which was my goal but I still want to get to around 140lbs
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Ok question where do you measure your hips? Because my measurements are 36-33-40 at 183 and I don't appear to have wide hips but just a round behind lmao maybe I'm measuring wrong idk
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I am the same way, the inches drop around my waist slower then anywhere else but they do come off! Just keep going!
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 156lbs at 5'7". I'm all leg with a short torso so I feel like my waist is large too. My measurements are 34-30-37.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My waist is disproportionately large. I'm egg shaped in the middle & measure out weird--bust 40.5", ribcage (bra band) 33.5", waist-36.75", hips-41". If my waist was the same size as my ribcage, I'd be pretty happy. As it is, I feel like I have that early pregnant look that is really awful when you're not pregnant. I think a 24" waist would be way to small for an adult. A couple weeks ago I measured my 11 year old 60 lb. son so I could buy him shorts at the thrift store & his waist was 24". He's a skinny boy & shorter than my 5' 2.5" by about 4"-5".
  • kerrylippert1
    kerrylippert1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    how have you lost 92 lbs???? and how long has it taken you to lose the weight ???:smile:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot like you - i'm a classic rectangle. My measurements are 34-27-34 and I'm 125 lbs. I'm 5'9", and I've accepted that my waist isn't going to get smaller - it's just the way I'm built. We will never have hourglass figures - although I'd love to have one, I'm okay with that, and you should be too. I'm sure you have a beautiful figure.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Even at my smallest size which was a size 4 and 5'4", I still had a 30-31 inch waist. I think I'm just pretty straight waisted. Work on building up your back to give the illusion of a waist. Think lat pulldowns, etc. Also be careful of training your obliques too much which can add width to your waist.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Short torso, wide waist here, too. I'm 5'5, 145 and a size 6/8. When I gain weight, I don't collect fat on my belly. I've lost a couple sizes over the past 6 months, but my waist size has only gone down an inch at best. I carry most of my fat in my lower back (muffin top), butt and upper thighs.