Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Tips for a gym novice?

Now that uni has gone back, I'm having trouble motivating myself to workout at home so I've decided to join the gym! I think I'm going to fork out the extra $4 a week for the membership that allows me to bring a guest, so I'll be dragging my sister with me some of the time too. We will both be total gym newbies and I'm a bit freaked out about not knowing what to do and looking like an idiot :embarassed: We're going on Monday morning and someone's going to show us around and we'll get to try the gym out first, so I'm hoping we might get some tips then, but I'd really appreciate any advice! Particularly regarding weights stuff - part of the reason I want to join is because I've learnt from here how important strength training is and I want to do more than just use my dumbbells! I'd love any tips or advice you experienced gym-goers have to prevent me from looking like a total noob!

Replies

• DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Now that uni has gone back, I'm having trouble motivating myself to workout at home so I've decided to join the gym! I think I'm going to fork out the extra $4 a week for the membership that allows me to bring a guest, so I'll be dragging my sister with me some of the time too. We will both be total gym newbies and I'm a bit freaked out about not knowing what to do and looking like an idiot :embarassed: We're going on Monday morning and someone's going to show us around and we'll get to try the gym out first, so I'm hoping we might get some tips then, but I'd really appreciate any advice! Particularly regarding weights stuff - part of the reason I want to join is because I've learnt from here how important strength training is and I want to do more than just use my dumbbells! I'd love any tips or advice you experienced gym-goers have to prevent me from looking like a total noob!

Get a PT session or two. The trainer should show you the ropes
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Check out Starting Strength or Stronglifts

Reference Mark Rippetoe via You Tube for form.

Wear a bunch of make up. It winds up all the other women at the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Get the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"..."Starting Strength" would also be a good option. Get a session or two with a personal trainer to have them show you how to properly perform the exercises and use proper form.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Most gyms set you up with a routine don't that?

Just ask people to show you how to do an exercise, most people will feel complimented that you ask them and help you out.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Get a PT session or two. The trainer should show you the ropes

I agree. Assuming the cost is not excessive.

Some gyms push training sessions, others not so much, others not at all. I think buying a small package of perhaps 4 or 5 sessions is reasonable for someone who is new to the gym. I would be more cautious of buying a larger package of say 20 or more sessions until you are sure you like the gym and you feel that the trainer is listening to you and giving you what you want.

Don't worry, it won't take very long at all to feel comfortable there, you'll be a pro in no time.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Definitley pick a routine first, bodybuilding.com has a ton of FREE great routines for beginers. Make sure you chose a full body workout. Write it down. Research the moves. Watch youtube. Practice the basic movement at home. Go to the gym. Put your headphones in. Turn it up load. And lift like no body is in there watching you.

I was lost and scared and nervous when i first started and now i feel at home in the weight section of my gym. Confidence is key. You can do it and you will look great while doing it!
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Does your gym offer free classes? If so, try out a few of them! But not too many all at once, because I've seen too many people rush into them and burn out way too fast.

The nice thing about classes is that you can get some direction for an instructor in a group setting without too much pressure and worry about the focus being all on you. And you can try different things to get a taste to see what you like.

Is Zumba for you? Or do you hate it? Boot camp or not? Abs class or NO WAY? Yoga or no? Sample whatever they might have, maybe one or two classes a week to see what appeals to you.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I went for a tryout today (and then signed up). The gym has got a 'Quickie workout' - a half hour circuit involving cardio, weights, core and stretching - which was really good. Plus that section of the gym was upstairs, away from the massive glass windows, so another bonus! They also had another 'Quickie circuit' which I think was mainly weights stuff where you try to do as many reps as possible in 1 minute on different machines. I've also signed up for a couple of PT sessions - $29 for 2 sessions, which was a lot less than I thought it'd be! My biggest issue was with the whole change rooms thing (high school PE and swimming was a long time ago!), particularly as the shower curtains were weirdly see through, but it was pretty quiet, so hopefully will be okay!