Got my second BodPod today - 2 points make a line...

Options
tomcornhole
tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
I dropped 12 lbs, 3.5" off my gut and now fit in size 32 pants (down from 34's) ince my last BodPod on Feb 21st. Since I have unlimited BodPod visits for a year, I decided to check up on my Lean Body Mass (LBM) to make sure I was maintaining my muscle mass. I was worried that 5 of those 12 lbs might be muscle, although all the data show I was losing all fat. Regardless, I am paranoid by nature and wanted more data.

So, I ran a bunch of tests before I went to the BodPod tonight to guess what my BF% might be. Here are the results:

Visual: 15-18% (hard to tell because I have skin flaps where my gut used to be)
Calipers, single point: 18.78%
FoodComputer.com: 17.29%
Navy measurements: 19.49%
Omron arms out parallel: 19.3%
Omron arms in lap, relaxed: 16.9%

I was hoping for 18% on the BodPod. Previous BodPod results (Feb 21, 2013):

Weight:201.7 lbs
BF%: 22.1%
LBM: 157.1 lbs
Fat: 44.5 lbs

Today:

Weight: 188.3 lbs (-13.4 lbs in 7 weeks)
BF%: 16.8% (-5.4%)
LBM: 156.7 lbs (-0.4 lbs)
Fat: 31.6 lbs (-12.9 lbs)

So I am very happy. The BF% is interesting, but maintaing LBM while losing fat has been my goal during this period of dieting.

So how did I do it? Not exactly sure, but there are 2 possibilities (I track everything I do in a spreadsheet):

1. I increased my daily SCD calories by 300 / day. This is the one I think busted the stall. I was lifting and walking on the treadmill a lot and was not getting enough calories. This caused my body to adjust and not burn fat. I think my metabolism went down to compensate for the lack of calories.

2. I started drinking coffee every day. 32 oz a day. I never drank coffee in my life. It was always diet coke. Lots of diet coke. I stopped diet coke a long time ago. Just started coffee in February. I think this has contributed to a higher metabolic rate throughout the day, but I think 1 was the significant contributor.

So where do I go from here? Keep riding this down until I stall. If that's at 185lbs or less, then I guess I am ready for maintenance or to start my next experiment which is adding 5-10 lbs of muscle mass. I know I have to eat a lot to do that and I will gain some fat back, but I want to give it a try.

Hope someone finds this interesting. It has been a good day.

Tom

Data Rocks

WeightLoss20130408.png

Replies

• tomcornhole
    Options
    Wanted to add that my Omron handheld BMI measuring thingy has proven quite good. It was higher by the same amount vs. the BodPod both times. I changed the way I held it yesterday and now it reads the same as the BodPod. When I held it at arms length, it read 1.8% higher than the BodPod. When I just held it in my lap, it matched. I have 7 months worth of data with the Omron and it is very good at showing trends as long as you do it the same way at the same time of day (same body and environmental conditions). It can vary 2% throughout the day, but I only measure in the morning, after bathroom visit, after protein shake.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well done mate. How did you manage unlimited bodypod analysis?

Your goals and statistics are simular to my own.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    They were running a deal where one bodpod was $65 and unlimited for a year was $110. I like data so I went for the unlimited.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Great results!
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am going to get my bodpod done tomorrow and am very nervous about it being higher than the omron. thanks for the tip on the omron. going to try holding it and lap tomorrow
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!