Eating suggestion for Hypothyroidism

I'm a new memeber, joined a few days ago. I was hoping and praying that some of you may have suggestions on eating habits or anything else for someone who has hypothyroidism. Any advice is much apprecitated!
Thanks

Replies

• LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Fiber is your buddy. I have hypothroidism and I feel better when I eat lower fat, higher fiber, and more protein than MFP recommends.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    I think for the most part it is going to be the same for anyone else trying to lose weight.

You may want to cut back on dairy, sometimes that can have an effect on your thyroid, but in any diet you want to cut back on dairy anyway because of the cholesterol and sodium.

My suggestion to you (from someone with thyroid issues) is to remember that your weight loss will be much slower than most people (MFP suggests 1-2 lbs./week, yours may be as slow as 0.5 lb./week or less and that's OK), so don't get discouraged and just keep up the good eating habits and working out. The weight WILL come off eventually. It will just be a long process.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Do not eat a lot of soy. I just recently realized that it prevents the absorption of levothyroxine if eaten within 4 hours of taking. There is also a belief that it leads to the hypothyroidism in the first place. I cut it out of my diet only two weeks ago and dropped 3 lbs since...granted that could be a normal weight flux, but I was struggling just to maintain prior to that change.
  • aubuysgirl
    aubuysgirl Posts: 23
    I have hypothyroidism as well. I feel so much better when i eat low fat. I have amuch harder time than most ppl losing weight but it can be done
  • CarlGleave
    CarlGleave Posts: 46 Member
    I think you need to give a little more detail for people to help you, are you being medicated for it?

if not do see your doctor asap

my nan had it she ended up in a metal home lol no seriously
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    I have hypothyroidism. I followed the guidlines set out by MFP and lost fairly easily at first, but I also had a lot to lose. Being on the right dose of medication is key. When I am not on enough I find myself very tired and hard to move anything, but when I am at the right dose I don't have that problem. I am having more trouble now that I have less than 50 to lose (along with many life issues that have been popping up the last few months) but I have been maintaining the loss. It can be done so hang in there, don't get discouraged if it takes more time than you expect and ask questions :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • KTownsley
    KTownsley Posts: 1
    I also, have hypothyroidism for about 13 years now. I first put on about 15 pounds and have had a very hard time losing weight. Since April I tried something different. I have been working out 5 days a week at least 30 minutes each day of high cardio and watching what I am eating. I have only been using my fitness pal for about a month, and tracking the calories has been an eye opener. I have lost 12 pounds since April. It is very hard to lose weight because of the hypothyroidism and its a pain in the butt to work out so much, but its been the only thing that has worked for me. I eat a lot of subway, and cook a lot of chicken and eat a lot of salads. Really track your calories on the computer, when I thought I was eating something that was low in calories, it turned out to be the opposite. I hope this helps.

Good Luck.
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    I found out I had the HYPO in April. I've found that before I was told losing weight was a chore if i didn't work out. this is my second time with MFP and the first time I lost 20 poundsin about 3-4 months. I worked out 5 days a week for about 30 minutes and logged everything that went in my mouth. Then I stopped and gained it all back. My problem is not food really its moving. I am tired if i don't take my viatimin so i may need a dosage change. Good luck.
  • teethib
    teethib Posts: 15
    Thanks to everyone for your advice, I appreciate each and everyone of your post. I will definitely take all of your advice. To the post that asked me to explain more, I am 34yr old female, i have three daughters, after my second child i was diagnosed with it. I was always a very small person, and very active and ate very healthy. I was gaining 5 lbs a week and freaking out because I didn't know what was wrong. Got tested and levels were off the charts. Both my parents have it, for ten years i have been pretty much tested every three months, because my levels go up and down. My parents get tested once a year. I am currently on Synthroid dose 2.0. I am currently with a new doctor and my appt was moved to 6 months, not 3 so thats a plus. I also have a Goiter on my thyroid, but it hasn't grown any. That's pretty much my story with that.Thanks.