How to improve my program?

Options
I am feeling a bit discouraged and my motivation to track has gone although I am still exercising and eating reasonably well. I'm not seeing any changes and want to shake up my routine a bit so please comment on my plan and give me ideas for changes to make or ways to make it more efficient. NB I do not do low cal, I'm not asking for a review of my diary as it doesnt really follow this and I am forward planning, My overall goals are fat loss more than weight loss.

Exercise - gym 2 to 3 times a week, 20 minutes of interval training burning around 200kcal 5 minute warm up and intervals at one minute on one minute off. Followed by free weights broadly following NROLFW (eg. squats, push ups, bent over row, lunges, prone jackknifes) although my weights are currently at 15kg max so I am still building up.

Diet - aiming for 30% Protein 40% Carb 30% fat -
breakfast: oats, low fat yoghurt, linseeds and berries
Lunch: eg quorn bolognaise (loads of veg)and brown rice
dinner: eg chicken/salmon and salad/veg with cheese

What woudl you change and why? What has got you the best results?

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Your programme actually seems pretty good to me, to start off.
    Since you're counting your macros I guess you're eating right (as long as you stick to your goals).

For how long are you following this plan now? Are you only weighing yourself or are you measuring, too?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u should be exercising everyday
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your macro split sounds good, how many cals do you net?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

why?
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options

For weight loss it actually isn't important how often we work out. All that counts is the deficit of calories we create.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I like quotes i hope this helps

It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?

We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i wouldn't know what to suggest...it all sounds great. And i struggle enough trying to lose weight myself without being qualified to advise anyone else.

The thing i would change about your diet? More naughtyness! I see no cake on your diet whatsoever! :p

But in all serious, maybe you just need to shake things up a little bit; eat your measl at different times to usual, try a different work out plan, etc. I'm afraid that's all i've got, but good luck!
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Your programme actually seems pretty good to me, to start off.
    Since you're counting your macros I guess you're eating right (as long as you stick to your goals).

For how long are you following this plan now? Are you only weighing yourself or are you measuring, too?

I have been following this broadly for quite a while (over a year) but my actual compliance is maybe down to 30% so it's obviously not quite as effective when pizza and unhealthy snacks are added in but it means I generally maintain rather than gain weight. I weigh myself at the gym and measure myself by how my clothes fit with a couple of inspirational pairs of trousers in the wardrobe weighting for the day they can see the outside world!
  • rougenoire
    Options

It's hard to be accurate at the moment as I have not been logging but previously/my aim is 1600kcal intake and eating back half my gym exercise calories. I don't know how to estimate for the calories burnt doing weights though so they get left out.
  • KhinoHoang
    Options

Lawl. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Anyway, play with your macro split. 40/40/20 maybe.

*Slowly up your weight training.
  • rougenoire
    Options
    I like quotes i hope this helps

It comes down to a simple question: what do you want out of life, and what are you willing to do to get it?

We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them.

ThanksI like quotes to change my mindset. I think the muscles I need to exercise most are my consistency and willpower ones, if I get back to my ideal plan as described it seems like I am on the right track!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It's hard to be accurate at the moment as I have not been logging but previously/my aim is 1600kcal intake and eating back half my gym exercise calories. I don't know how to estimate for the calories burnt doing weights though so they get left out.

whats your height/weight etc? how mcuh do you want to lose?

i would suggest trackign EVERYTHING for a week or so, then that might give you a bit of insight into what you might need to change.

1600, then only eating some exercsie cals back may not be enough if you are close to goal?
  • jdhoward_101
    Options

If you're going to post statements like this, please back them up with some sort of scientific study or proof for us to check out. There is a huge difference between 'You should...' and 'I think you should...'

Thanks!
  • rougenoire
    Options
    Honestly, i wouldn't know what to suggest...it all sounds great. And i struggle enough trying to lose weight myself without being qualified to advise anyone else.

The thing i would change about your diet? More naughtyness! I see no cake on your diet whatsoever! :p

But in all serious, maybe you just need to shake things up a little bit; eat your measl at different times to usual, try a different work out plan, etc. I'm afraid that's all i've got, but good luck!

I have no restraint when I stop so no cake is easier for me than a little bit - take this weekend I bought a bag of cinder toffee... and ate it all even though I knew it would give me a sickly sugar rush then sugar slump and make me feel sick ;-( cheese and pizza are my favs :)
  • rougenoire
    Options
    [/quote]

whats your height/weight etc? how mcuh do you want to lose?

i would suggest trackign EVERYTHING for a week or so, then that might give you a bit of insight into what you might need to change.

1600, then only eating some exercsie cals back may not be enough if you are close to goal?
    [/quote]

I'm five foot six and 160 this morning clothed at the gym. I would like to get my average weight range to safely under 11 stone but honestly I 'd rather weigh more and fit in to a UK size 12 again! I'd like to get to 21/22% body fat which I think means losing at least 5%.

Are you saying eat more exercise calories back or less?
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options

If you're going to post statements like this, please back them up with some sort of scientific study or proof for us to check out. There is a huge difference between 'You should...' and 'I think you should...'

Thanks!

^This^ plus I have always been told by professionals that exercising everyday is not good for the body, you should have 1 or 2 rest days a week, to give the body a chance to repair itself, so it can become stronger & better
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I'm five foot six and 160 this morning clothed at the gym. I would like to get my average weight range to safely under 11 stone but honestly I 'd rather weigh more and fit in to a UK size 12 again! I'd like to get to 21/22% body fat which I think means losing at least 5%.

Are you saying eat more exercise calories back or less?

i would try NET 1600 for a few weeks and see how you get on. do you weigh and measure everything you eat? i would try tracking EVERYTHING for a few weks, you may find you're forgetting little bits that add up. and eat back all exercise cals - the calories burnt arent great for strength training but it is there under cardio exercise so you can log it.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    How Much Exercise Should I Do?

Studies show that even the most inactive people can gain significant health benefits if they accumulate just 30 minutes or more of exercise or other physical activity per day.

For the greatest overall health benefits, experts suggest 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise (see below) most days of the week plus some form of anaerobic exercise (see below) such as muscle strengthening activity and stretching at least two to three times a week.

If you have been inactive for a while, you may want to start with less strenuous activities such as walking or swimming at a comfortable pace. Beginning at a slow pace will allow you to become physically fit without straining your body. Once you are in better shape, you can gradually do more strenuous activity
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Studies show that even the most inactive people can gain significant health benefits if they accumulate just 30 minutes or more of exercise or other physical activity per day.

For the greatest overall health benefits, experts suggest 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise (see below) most days of the week plus some form of anaerobic exercise (see below) such as muscle strengthening activity and stretching at least two to three times a week.

If you have been inactive for a while, you may want to start with less strenuous activities such as walking or swimming at a comfortable pace. Beginning at a slow pace will allow you to become physically fit without straining your body. Once you are in better shape, you can gradually do more strenuous activity

yay, you found the caps lock button!!!
  • jdhoward_101
    Options

Thanks! Where did you get this from?

Plus, i notice it says at the top '30 mins of exercise OR other physical activity'. It sounds like they are basing this on someone with a sedentary lifestyle. That 30 minutes could be something as simple as hoovering the house, or walking to the shops, which a lot of people find themselves doing anyway and isn't really a conscious decision to do any specific exercise.